Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

Bill Frisell's new album "Music IS" -- what an incredible piece of music, just a labyrinth of sound to get lost in.

Speaking of labyrinths of sound to get lost in, next up is the 10CD Duke Ellington "Private Collection" box I just got from eBay ($37!). With all this great stuff, I'm barely going to notice when the new Miles Davis bootleg set arrives on Friday. :)

2. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    2006 Collectables CD reissue of the one album Desmond made for Warner Brothers. With Jim Hall (g), Percy Heath (b) & Connie Kay (d).
    Producer: Bob Prince. Recorded 9/5-7/59, NYC. I believe this is not the original cover.

rxcory, AaronW, bluemooze and 4 others like this.
  3. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

WP John Handy. New View
    Orig press
    Handy. Alto
    Hutcherson on what else
    Albert Stinson bass
    Doug Sides drums
    Pat Martino guitar
    [​IMG]
    I love this under rated Altoist. The first side has a lovely floaty version of Naima w a beautifully understated Hutcherson vibe. ( pardon the pun)

The second side - all of it at almost 24 min - has a fabulously evolving civil rites opus to James Meridiths attempt to enter U of Mississippi
    It starts out as a bluesy modal type of thing and then devolves and evolves with Bobby shining again

I got this at the Village record shop on Bleaker street. I bought some stuff there but I had passed on 2 records that looked good but had scratches I knew would leave 10 or so repeated tics. The owner said I was nuts and played them to prove me wrong But I was right. He laughed loud and hard after the second one proved me right and gave me the album. Such a lovely gesture. The second album was this JOhn Handy one. Every time I hear the tics it brings a smile to my face. I never thought I would love the sound of repeated tics...

rxcory, Soulpope, Marzz and 6 others like this.
  4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

When Warner Brothers started a record label in 1958, they signed some excellent jazz instrumental and jazz vocal talent. But it seems like they may have given up on that after they signed The Everly Brothers and started with Peter Paul and Mary. They got involved in corporate takeovers (first buying Reprise, then getting consumed in the triple corporate takeover of Warner/Reprise, Atlantic and Elektra by Seven Arts Corp., then it was all sold to a funeral parlor and parking garage corporation, Kinney by 1969.

All these corporate takeovers by businessmen who had about zero interest in music itself, with Warner at the center, were (imo) the beginning steps to move music further and further into becoming merely "product", and creating a scene where a very limited number of mega-stars dominate the scene for years on end and leave most other musicians struggling to pay for the gas to get to the next gig.

5. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

This post inspired me to go snooping around for Braxton albums available as lossless downloads and I was surprised to find a couple of Circle releases for super cheap on 7digital US. They're priced at $1.79 per track - both albums are full length albums; the first is 2 tracks and the second is one long track. So you can get both these 2 albums for less than $6 total!

https://us.7digital.com/artist/circle-chick-corea-anthony-braxton-dave-holland-barry-altschul/release/circle-1-live-in-germany-concert-5557767?f=12,16,17,9

https://us.7digital.com/artist/circle-chick-corea-anthony-braxton-barry-altschul-dave-holland/release/circle-2-gathering-5606813?f=12,16,17,9

bluemooze, scompton and sberger like this.
  6. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I cannot listen to this album too much.

[​IMG]

jay.dee, Marzz, Moebius and 4 others like this.
  7. Craig's Story

Craig's Story Forum Resident

Thanks , I don’t think you are encouraging my (already) sickness , rather helping me with my medicine haha - wouldn’t want to make a bad purchase when there is so much music to hear. “Bright Moments “

8. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Coltrane's Sound is a very important record for me. It was
    one of my first and has one of my top quartets on it. A
    few of the cuts are all-timers as far as I'm concerned. I've
    decided this evening/morning to rotate between the 60's and 70's
    a release at a time about a decade apart... inspired at the
    moment by something I'm reading.

Dave Holland's Conference of the Birds was his first as
    a leader, w/ Braxton and Sam Rivers and it made a splash.
    Considered to be a hallmark release from the 70's, and
    it moves. Some of it is jolting and unexpected. I've
    always thought that his late 60's work with Miles opened
    up a 'Huxley's door' for him. Holland is one of most
    prolific bassist out there, performances and recordings.
    As usual I am picking up little more every time around,
    a great thing about prog, classical and jazz listening.
    The proper time, place and that certain lucidity just
    adds to the enjoyment of the tuneage.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

rxcory, jay.dee, Marzz and 10 others like this.
  9. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I was about to "like" your post, but that hardly seems appropriate. A sad but true story you tell.

10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Continuing the Blue Mitchell lovefest....
    NP Horace Silver Quintet - Horace-Scope (Blue Note) SHM

Roy Brooks on drums and of course Gene Taylor and Junior Cook who went with Blue when Silver disbanded this group.

11. Six String

Six String Senior Member

It's funny but I feel like I'm noticing someone who's been in the room the whole time and I just wasn't seeing.

12. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I listened to his Monterey Jazz album last week. He's a well known entity in the SF Bay Area of course.

Stu02 likes this.
  13. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Herbie Hancock - Speak Like A Child (Blue Note) SHM cd
    My first digital copy of this great album. These Japanese 75th Anniversary reissues sound pretty good to me. Good to have a good digital backup to an lp you like a lot.

rxcory, Starwanderer and bluemooze like this.
  14. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

I missed the image of a boom box tilted at the optimum angle perfectly balanced on the shoulder of a cat bopping' down Broadway.

Yesternow likes this.
  15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My grandfather told me that you should never be without music. The portable collection of cylinders is over on the other chair.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    calgary669, markp, vanhooserd and 4 others like this.
  16. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My father was more modern, and never went without a small selection of 78s

[​IMG]

markp, vanhooserd, fenderesq and 3 others like this.
  17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My friend's Dad had one of these, but when he was driving he could never find his favorite 45s

[​IMG]

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

When you get lost, you can always make a record player with a pencil, a sheet of paper and a pin. If you come across any records, you will be ready.

[​IMG]

19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

In the old days, in Wales, the women would conceal a music horn for a portable cylinder player under these tall hats. It was on a double date that two young Welsh men came up with the idea of stereo music.

[​IMG]

alankin1, bluemooze and Crispy Rob like this.
  20. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Eric Le lann and Jean Marie Ecay play Jobim
    Beautiful music for late night listening. Recorded by Alain Cluzeau at Acousti in Paris, it is the type of CD only France could yield.

[​IMG]

Fusionfan, rxcory and bluemooze like this.
  21. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Use washi (Japanese paper) to make sound better!

Moebius, Six String and Tribute like this.
  22. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

Score!

OldJohnRobertson likes this.
  23. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

The Pharrell Williams plagiarism thread is down the hall.

Six String likes this.
  24. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Benson in the morning puts me in a good mood for the rest of the day.
    [​IMG]
    George Benson - Shapes of things to come - 1968

rxcory, bluemooze and Six String like this.
  25. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

That whole early '70s period with all that music made by those compatriots at the time -- Holland, Rivers, Braxton, Altschul, and Corea -- whether it's the A.R.C. and Circle stuff, or the Braxton albums with the the Holland/Altschul rhythm section (sometimes with Corea), or the Holland/Rivers duo albums -- is great. Conference of the Bird gets all the attention and it's brilliant. But I love the Circle live album from Paris; the '71 "Complete Braxton" (and of course the Braxton quartet albums that followed, by one of the best working bands of the decade) and the two Rivers/Holland albums for Improvising Artists, too.

lschwart, charlesp, jay.dee and 6 others like this.