Music Books you would love to read but...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dormouse, Mar 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident Thread Starter

It occurred to me recently that there have, over the years, been several books that have been written about music or musicians that I wanted to read but for whatever reason have not been available.

The Ian Hunter Diary of a Rock n Roll Star was one such book which did eventually reappear but has probably now returned to obscurity again.

However the one book which I would love to read which is beyond me financially is Fifty Years Adrift by Derek Taylor. This surely must be an essential read and I suspect will not be reissued. Such a shame.

I'm sure that there are more.

2. The 1974 Alice Cooper book Billion Dollar Baby is supposed to be really good, but has been out of print for years and sells at collector's prices now.

3. +1 for the Ian Hunter.

I let both Peter Hammill books slip through my fingers for filthy lucre (in the early 90s) and have never seen them again in the condition I sold them in. I'd love to acquire new copies.

I have the German/Krautrock Cosmic Dreams At Play and Crack In The Cosmic Egg titles and Julian Cope's Krautrocksampler, all new, unread; wish I'd sold those instead.

Crimson Witch and dormouse like this.
  4. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

I have both of those books. You can get the Hunter one thru your library. Derek's will cost ya. I like 'em both.

5. dormouse

I did get the Ian Hunter book when it was reissued a few years back but the Derek Taylor book would appear to be an essential Beatles reference work. I can understand the reluctance to devalue the deluxe edition but in reality first editions will retain their value. I do have some Genesis books and treasure them but I merely want to read Derek's first hand memories of his time with the band. It should be out there for enthusiasts to read.

I've recently read Barry Miles' book In the Sixties which was a fascinating account of an interesting period.

Derek Taylor's book is a missing link by a Beatles insider and has never been available to the average fan which is quite sad. Genesis have reissued George Harrison's I Me Mine and also licenced a standard edition. Fifty Years Adrift deserves the same and to be read by a much wider audience. If agreements do no allow a physical edition perhaps an electronic version. Not my preferred option but I would take it over nothing.

forthlin, Crimson Witch and Twangy like this.
  6. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

Yeah, I agree. It's Genesis. One of the best.

7. Sane Man

Sane Man Forum Resident

The Paul Drummond 13th Floor Elevator book is out of print and I prefer to not read the ebook or spend $50+ for the paperback.

8. boe

boe Forum Resident

It is indeed really good. Bob Greene at his peak before he went off the rails a bit. I had seen the last date of the BDB tour - New Year's Eve 1973 in Buffalo with opener ZZ Top. A really fun show. I ordered the book from two different local book stores and they couldn't get it. I looked for it in every book store for years until in 1981 I found a used copy at The Strand in NYC. The only copy I've ever seen. It was worth the search and I still reread it every once in a while. It's a shame it was never reprinted as it's as good a look behind the scenes of a major tour as I've read. Greene became a popular columnist with some best-sellers so even more puzzling that it wasn't reprinted. His way more recent book about touring with Jan and Dean is fun and even touching.

I loaned my copy of the Ian Hunter book and never got it back. Last book I've ever loaned out.

9. dormouse

Yes, I read that when it came out and I should still have it somewhere. Quite a chunky tome if I recall. Never did get the box set that came out at the time. Not sure why. I guess it was down to price.

10. jfire

jfire Forum Resident

I'd love to see a mass-market edition of Taylor's book also. George's Genesis book is now widely available, so maybe there's hope.

On a related note, a copy of Taylor's earlier memoir, "As Time Goes By," is out in a new edition in May:

11. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Tristero, gkella, ti-triodes and 3 others like this.
  12. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Seconded. I made the mistake of selling my copy around a decade ago thinking I could just re-buy it if the urge to flip through again took me. Granted, I could do that, but it'd cost me dear...

Crimson Witch likes this.
  13. dormouse

Perhaps if we all drop Genesis an email it may prompt some action. Obviously it is a bit more difficult to sort out a trade version but perhaps a show of interest may have some effect.

I may get As Time Goes By if it is being reissued. I don't recall reading that. Must check though, just in case. It won't be the first time I've convinced myself to buy a second copy of something!

forthlin and Crimson Witch like this.
  14. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

It is good! I have it in paperback

15. dormouse

Looks like another to add to the list! Sounds like it could be an entertaining read.

16. ZEP77

ZEP77 Houston/Pontiac '77 Video. Where are you?

Led Zeppelin's publicist, BP Fallon, allegedly wrote a book on his time with Zeppelin and after he read it he realized he could never release it. Said it would have ruined his relationship with the band since he left nothing out! Rumor is that the manuscript is in a lockbox at his bank.

17. Mr wiggles

Mr wiggles Forum Resident

George clintons biography

18. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Cost is a factor for people in Australia
    Books are very expensive here!

19. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Some haven't been written yet,Cornelius Grant was supposed to be writing one about his years as guitarist of The Temptations..there was another one called-Rockin An Driftin-the history of The Drifters I don't know if that one was written but I hope so.

20. dormouse

A Viv Stanhall autobiography would have been great, especially the audio book version.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  21. boe

boe Forum Resident

Never even knew it came out in paperback (a year or so after the hardcover). From a quick look online the paperback sells for more than the hardcover. And both are well into the six-figure range.

Murph likes this.
  22. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

Six-figures?????? SOLD!!

23. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Even if you count the figures beyond the decimal point that's silly. I sold a paperback of B$B on eBay within the last year for $60. People may ask stupid prices, but asking is not getting. "Me, Alice" was always harder to find, anyway.

24. boe

boe Forum Resident

What was I thinking? Yikes! Wrote that on the fly. Of course I meant three figures i.e. hundreds. And indeed, just because you ask for $600 doesn't mean you'll get it. But nevertheless, a pricey / rare book by rock bio standards. And a great book....

Murph likes this.
  25. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I always wanted to read John Cale's autobio but it is hard to come by and expensive when you do.

DTK and Runicen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.