Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2018 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tededfred, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

That would be perfect for the hordes on DeadNet who are always screaming for shows from the 80's/90's to be released. :biglaugh:

2. owlshead

owlshead Forum Resident

to a point, i agree, but... the shows i saw were between 1984-1989 and if i totally go that far... well, i can't quite!
    I don't think Brent was as good as Keith, probably... not close.
    That said, I think he was pretty good, but agree, some of the sound sets etc. on the keys...
    but i do mostly like Hammond organ.

But that is big part of why I really like Keith and the grand piano.
    Think Brent was not a bad singer (especially the first handful of years) but he got a bit grating/gravely the last several years
    He is a much better singer than Vince (sorry Vince).

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  3. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Keith was barely playing the keyboard in his last couple of years. At least Brent was playing.

4. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

Guess I won't be promoting my upcoming Richard Marx appreciation thread here, jeez.

5. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

You know, Jerry was literally falling asleep on stage at times, so much so that Billy says in his book he would hit his crash cymbals as hard as he could to wake him. Donna needed to leave because of the volatility of being married and on the road. I firmly believe Keith would have gotten his head straight if he was given another chance. Jerry was given so many second chances I lost count.

6. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

Man...I much prefer to look at the positive aspects of the band than the negative...these guys had a lot of demons and no one was perfect in their playing...let’s enjoy and be thankful for what we have when it comes to this great band.

7. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Indeed. The drugs worked perfectly.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  8. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

When the Russian sub surfaces and the landing party hits the west coast, Dave will be standing in the foreground talking about the merits of the new Dave’s Pick from 1978.

Cassius, Claxton, Joe Spivey and 8 others like this.
  9. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

Crispy Rob likes this.
  10. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Red Dawn, man. Red Dawn. It IS a documentuary. Luckily Stills was in 'Nam...

11. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Well we're not all as polite and enthusiastic as Dave, but he is a good face for the GD team. I wonder had Dick lived long enough for the YouTube era, if he and Dave would have done a Don Cherry/Ron MacLean style of promo video for these releases.

12. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

You can add me to the anti-Brent crowd, I’m afraid. I think he was an inferior keyboardist compared to Keith and an inferior singer and songwriter compared to Donna. But I think it’s his inauthenticity that grates more than anything, particularly in a band like the Dead. Garcia can do character-based stuff wonderfully: a prime example is “Wharf Rat”. Compare “Tons Of Steel”: not for a second do I believe that Mydland knows what it’s like to be a peripatetic railwayman, and I find the gravelly tone he chose for the vocals bathetic (perhaps he thinks that’s how a hard-living train driver would sing?).

13. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Dave in foreground telling us how great the Pick is. Meanwhile Dick is somewhere in the background doing his best goose-herder improvisation.

Billy_Sunday, US Blues and budwhite like this.
  14. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I have more issues with post-Keith Bobby than I do post-Keith Brent.

15. BurtThomasWard

Most people would fit into this cathegory, so I wouldn't hold that against Brent. In his greatest moments Keith moved between Jarrett and Floyd Cramer with an ease that was borderline supernatural. In other words a perfect fit for the Dead.

Freebird, rcb30, Crispy Rob and 5 others like this.
  16. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Absolutely without question. Keith Godchaux was one of the most phenomenally talented and naturally gifted musicians to ever walk the Earth. His ability to assimilate and extrapolate the music to his instrument resulted in some one-of-a-kind improvisation.

17. BurtThomasWard

I've noticed and I must say that I'm very disappointed in you all ;)

Hey, I dig Dave, man. He just goes a bit overboard with the superlatives from time to time. Like any real fan in his position would do, I guess.

18. BurtThomasWard

It sounds a bit easier done than it is, for sure ;)

ianuaditis and Archtop like this.
  19. US Blues

I don't disagree, and I'd love to read your elaboration.

Billy_Sunday, DrLunchbox and trd like this.
  20. US Blues

Well said, Brother. Donna shared that Keith never listened to the Houseboat Tapes, he didn't need to learn the songs to play them, he just sat down and played. Phil gushes with enthusiasm for Keith in Searching For The Sound, saying that Keith was perfect for the band, he was the piece they were missing even though they didn't know they were missing a member until he arrived.

Keith is the McCoy Tyner to Jerry's Coltrane. Go find 3 November 1978- JGB. They open set II with So What, and they play it as well as any band that Miles ever had.

21. agn

agn Forum Resident

When will the next Dave's Pick be announced?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

its from 1971. already been announced

agn and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  23. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

End of April?

agn likes this.
  24. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Dave’s 27 likely won’t be announced until some time in June IIRC.

Dave’s 26 is a double bill of 11-17-71 and 12-14-71.

agn and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. trd

trd Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.