New Allman Brothers Band Deluxe ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by belardd, Mar 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident

In terms of a consistent level of adventuresome performance(s), it's my perception the last ABB peaked around the time of Fox Box and that's hardly nonsense, but rather based on my experiences seeing the band live and hearing concert recordings from the period in question. As far as packaging goes, I would agree it is not stellar in its latest form, but then I only said it was improved; I know that's a bit nuanced, but please don't knee-jerk all over me, okay bbuuuudddeee?

2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I have the Beacon Box from their run in 2009 and I think they were really great during that run. I've read interviews with various band members who thought that it was a special set of concerts.

Bossyman likes this.
  3. Crossfire#3

The band had flashes of brilliance til the end and that run no exception...BUT from 2003-2004, perhaps for another year, they were regularly superlative, full of surprises and constantly challenging themselves.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  4. ssmith3046

I have the box with all the 2014 concerts and there's plenty of surprises left until the very end. My favorite American band since 1969.

5. Crossfire#3

Are we debating or echoing each other?

6. ssmith3046

Nothing to debate about. Looks like we're both fans.

7. Crossfire#3

We are indeed and I was merely suggesting that, over the last decade, there was an inexorable downward arc to an otherwise well-established level of excellence.

old school likes this.
  8. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

I picked this box up through an industry connection...used to belong to one of the band members. It is an absolute jewel in my collection of music. Each show is magic. However, the cd holders are horrible. So many broken. Anybody know where to but EXACT original replacement jewel,cases?

ssmith3046 likes this.
  9. ssmith3046

It's a great set and the box it comes in is beautiful but the jewel boxes leave a lot to be desired.

10. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

Any idea where to get exact replacement cases?

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I'd start here: http://www.thebighousemuseum.com/contact-us/ , since they took over when Hittin' The Note shut down, I'd bet they have replacement cases for the box.

When I first got mine, I had missing screws on the lid hinges. For $500.00 +, I wanted perfection. They sent me several screws within a matter of days.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  12. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

+David Grissom

OK, he only subbed for Dickey for a small string of dates (of which I saw one) and barely got his feet wet in Allman lore, but I think he is a really tasteful player and worthy of being mentioned with the other Allman six stringers.

13. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

14. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

+ Zakk Wylde

It seems that David Grissom was a short fill in before Jack Pearson could connect & Zack Wylde was a short fill in for David Grissom

On the morning of July 31, 1993 Allman Brothers Band co-founding guitarist Dickey Betts was arrested by local cops in Saratoga Springs, New York; where the band had performed the night before as part of the second annual H.O.R.D.E. Festival. Officers were responding to a call from Dickey’s wife saying he was drunk and abusive, when the guitarist decided to shove the policemen leading to his arrest.

ABB staffers bailed out Betts, but Dickey didn’t return to the band and instead flew home to Sarasota. Thanks to help from the likes of H.O.R.D.E. tour mates Jimmy Herring of ARU, Danny Louis of proto-Gov’t Mule act the Warren Haynes Band and Blues Traveler’s John Popper, the Allmans moved forward with their set on July 31, 1993 in Stowe, Vermont. However, the next night the Allman Brothers Band were playing their own show at Great Woods in Mansfield, Massachusetts and wouldn’t have the luxury of calling upon members of H.O.R.D.E. acts. Enter Zakk Wylde for one of the strangest nights in the legendary band’s 45-year history.

Zakk Wylde is a metal player best known for his long stints as lead guitarist in Ozzy Osbourne’s band. Warren Haynes wanted former ABB keyboardist Chuck Leavell to play with the group at Great Woods. Haynes was told by management, “This is a guitar band. People want to hear the two guitars,” as per author Alan Paul’s definitive Allman Brothers Band biography One Way Out.

While Jack Pearson was the next choice, the Nashville axeman who would later replace Warren in the group had previous commitments. Austin guitarist David Grissom got a call, but wasn’t available in time for the Mansfield show. Wylde was the next option as an ABB staffer had worked with Ozzy and made the connection. Zakk played the whole night at Great Woods and his antics were so over the top and his sound was such a bad fit, Grissom filled in for the rest of the tour starting on August 3 in Columbia, Maryland.

Though Wylde had the time of his life, Alan Paul notes the band was not impressed by his antics such as “spitting mouthfuls of beer in the air and standing atop his front stage monitor.” Zakk told Paul the following about his one-and-done experience with the Allman Brothers Band for publication in One Way Out:

They were way ****in’ cool, man. But it was hysterical, ’cause when we played “Dreams” I must have soloed for twenty minutes. I’d died and gone to heaven and I wasn’t going to stop. I was just jamming. But I almost gave [ABB drummer] Butch [Trucks] a coronary, ’cause every time we got to where the band was repeating the same lick, preparing to come out of the jam, I just keep soloing. I came over to Butch and he goes, “Zakk, ****, man! Calm down a little bit, brother.” And I go, “But this is my favorite band.” And he goes, “Yeah, it’s mine, too, but just ****in’ relax!”
    Though Wylde didn’t win himself fans among the Allman Brothers Band crew and band, a recording of the show is well worth hearing for Zakk’s wild approach to the group’s music. “Dreams” isn’t quite 20 minutes, but it’s long and a good example of what the guitarist brought to the table as are the versions of “In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed” and “Whipping Post” from a one Wylde night.

15. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Right! I totally forgot about the Zakk show. I used to have that - can't remember if it was a tape or CDR though. I should look around for that and give it another airing if I can find it.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  16. What was the original packaging like vs the Fox Box?

17. As I wrote upthread, I was there with Zakk that day and while I may be in the minority, it was one of best (and craziest) ABB shows that I’ve ever seen. As a fan of both ABB and Ozzy/Zakk I was almost as excited as Zakk. You have to understand that the ABB were one of, if not his all time favorite band and listened to them constantly in those days. Was not unusual to hear Zakk blasting ABB in the hotel from a boom box after Ozzy shows when he was having (quite) a few. “A dream come true” was an understatement. He was floating after the Great Woods show, and while the rest of the band may have been slightly annoyed, they all seemed in good spirits (albeit a little shocked) after the show. Warren was all smiles as I recall. I think Zakk would have loved to have been offered the position to finish the remainder of the ABB dates on the tour. He was/is fiercely loyal to Ozzy and Sharon, so long as it didn’t interfere with those responsibilities he would have gladly done so. Obviously the band didn’t feel the same. It was over the top.

There is also a bootleg video of the show and I’m trying to track that down. The audio of the show is out there. Zakk is one hell of a player. Give it another listen!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Kingsley Fats and rockclassics like this.
  18. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Now you have really made me curious to hear this. I have seen it in a couple.of.places as a download but never bothered. Guess I'll have to track it down and give it a listen.

19. :edthumbs:

20. Kingsley Fats

It was originally released as an "Instant Live" release so looked similar to this.
    [​IMG]

It could also be purchased as a set like this
    [​IMG]

The most recent release has (slightly) updated sound remixed I believe by Warren Haynes & as stated the packaging is not improved on this.

21. Thank you for posting the pictures. I have a few of the instant live shows that were given to me from when the series was launched. Haven’t listened to them more than once. IIRC they’re CDr’s. I’m going to take the plunge and buy the ‘official release’ of Fox Box, I’m glad they are regular pressed CD’s and these were fine shows. Looks like the outer slip case should fit on the shelf.

Kingsley Fats likes this.
  22. Kingsley Fats

Yes it is only slightly (2 thicknesses of cardboard) bigger than a jewell case CD

23. Kingsley Fats

I've got a bootleg download of the show in FLAC, however, from memory the sound quality is not great (audience I think). I will have to dig it out for a re listen.
    I've read a couple of stories on this gig & it seems that Zakk Wilde enjoyed the experience much more than almost everyone else that witnessed it. The band were greatful that he helped them out ...but...

slipkid and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  24. ishkabibble

ishkabibble Forum Resident

I believe the new set has also been tightened up a bit to remove some of the dead air/audience cheering.

25. I was at these shows but this will be the first I've actually heard them since. Looking forward to it.

ssmith3046 and Kingsley Fats like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.