Why did IMDB remove the Box Office & Business features?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vahan, Dec 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Another thing I hate about the "new" IMDb is the way they're now listing the filmographies of actors, directors, etc, with only one title showing up for each movie. They used to display most (or all) of a film's alternate titles right there within the filmographies, which made it easier to locate a movie that was released under various titles in different parts of the world. But now, if you're browsing through the work of a particular actor, director, etc, you have to click on a specific title and then scroll down to the "AKA" section to see if the movie is the particular one you were looking for. So inconvenient!! :sigh:

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. LeeVing

LeeVing Hyperactive!

Does my Prime account give me anything????

3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Not in regards to IMDB Pro stuff, no.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Looks fine in IMDB Pro. If this information is important to you, spend the money.

showtaper likes this.
  5. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

Just use Box Office Mojo. It's a lot more detailed than IMDb.

6. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Bumping this thread, I just realized that I can still add the dates a movie or TV show episode was filmed in the trivia section for any particular entry on IMDB. I just added the filming dates for the final episode of The Dukes of Hazzard (December 20, 1984-January 2, 1985) in the trivia section of such entry.

7. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

theyre dead to me sine they dropped the forums

8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Get more IMDb mail now than ever. They obviously want your interest.
    Don't suppose though losing the individual film message board contributors even made a dent to their viewing figures.

Dude111 likes this.
  9. pblmow

pblmow Forum Resident

I believe imdb owns Box Office Mojo. A couple of years ago they shut down Box Office Mojo and people complained so much, they, imdb put it back online. :)

10. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Didn't realize Amazon owned IMDB.

11. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Amazon has owned IMDb for far longer than IMDb was an independent entity - it was established in 1990, and Amazon bought it in 1998.

jh901 likes this.
  12. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

My point was that the info used to be easily available, but now they've just made it more inconvenient. Changes to a website should improve the experience for the user, not detract from it. Between this pointless change and the "new layout" complaint I made earlier, the site has really gone downhill lately.

alexpop likes this.
  13. alexpop

Sad loss to movie fans.

xilef regnu and the pope ondine like this.
  14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I think what you're really complaining about is that it used to be free but now it isn't.

15. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Not at all. The normal site is still free, and the same info is available just like it's always been.... but for some inexplicable reason, they've just decided to make certain aspects of the site far more inconvenient and non-user-friendly. How they could possibly think this was a good idea is beyond my comprehension.

16. the pope ondine

its crazy the amount of information they just erased. used to love seeing an obscure film and checking out what people had to say about it. ive found nothing close to replacing it

xilef regnu, chilinvilin and alexpop like this.
  17. alexpop

I'm simpatico. The majority of those message boards were harmless.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

All the info is still there in IMDB Pro. If this info is important to you, you have to spend the money for a subscription.

19. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

As I said earlier.... it's still there in "regular" IMDb as well.... the info hasn't been removed, they've just made it unnecessarily inconvenient to browse through.

I can't imagine there being any logical/reasonable explanation for the change, either.... :shrug:

20. the pope ondine

more clicking, more ads popping up, more money? just guessing, im still boycotting :ignore::cop::wantsome::cussing::imwithstupid::tiphat:

21. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

So are the filming locations gone?

22. alexpop

23. The forums made it half the fun. Now its just another wikipedia for movies.

the pope ondine likes this.
  24. the pope ondine

agree, and im not hitting constant promos and pop ups with wiki. they had something great and blew it

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  25. Many of the IMDB forum users migrated to this replacement board:

Home | IMDB v2.0

I think it's pretty clear that Amazon is shifting IMDB from a mass consumer site to one mostly used by Hollywood professionals. Which is a shame, as those mass users built most of its content for free.

MikaelaArsenault and xilef regnu like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.