"The Outer Limits" coming to blu-ray with new HD masters late 2017/early 2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jupiter8, Jun 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I may be tripping, but I read the opposite that the Canadian DVDs were CUT..

2. Michael

my absolute favorite episode of the OL! I wanted one of those! the model that is. : )

3. Michael

the price may never drop seeing this is Kino, but IIRC Barnes and Noble had Kino BD at half price so I can see the possibility of a $50.00 price...I hope they do a good job and they look as good as the TZ BDs...

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's very likely the transfers were done from fine-grain prints, which were extremely high-quality copies of the original 35mm camera negatives. But the negatives will always be better, provided it's been well-stored over the years and the emulsion is stable. The negative will also have a lot more detail in the shadows, which to me benefits the low-key cinematography in a show like this.

The soundtrack was always magnetic, but there was a tendency for 1960s TV show to push the levels and be a little bit on the edge of distortion. I've heard that before, and it's just recorded that way. The mic preamps on set also tended to overload as well. Everything started getting a lot better in the 1970s in terms of distortion and noise.

I would bet the forthcoming Blu-ray set looks great...

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/Limits-1963-...8&qid=1520993382&sr=1-3&keywords=outer+limits

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  5. Michael

hopefully we all will be happy with this release! should have released both seasons at once...wonder if they are waiting to see sales of the first release...IIRC, I read somewhere the second season is already in the can?

Vidiot likes this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I would bet it was transferred to HD long ago. What might be in a state of flux are the extra bits, and those sometimes change in the weeks prior to disk authoring and delivery.

One great thing about film shows like this: they hold up in terms of picture quality and can survive even in a world of HD and 4K. TV shows shot on standard-def videotape (NTSC or PAL) are doomed to look soft and crappy forever.

7. Michael

looking forward to this so much...wish it was priced correctly..but, Kino takes no prisoners...you know when you see the names of these smaller these companies you are going to PAY!

8. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

If you look at the screengrabs at the DVDBeaver site, you can notice something of what I was talking about earlier, that some of these episodes have deliberate attempts to be foggy or hazy. The screencap from "Zzzzzzz" is an example of that. Many who view BD discs want everything to be in sharp focus, but many times, directors choices will prevent that. I would imagine that "The Forms Of Things Unknown" will have its share of hazy imagery - as it's supposed to.

ParloFax likes this.
  9. My Blu-ray set arrived yesterday and I watched the first three episodes. It's the best I remember these episodes looking and sounding. And while I always strongly prefer TV shows/movies/etc. to be presented in their original aspect ratio, I bizarrely found myself wanting the title sequence to fill the screen - it doesn't quite seem like they're taking control when there's black bars on the sides of the image ;) But again, it's 4:3 and I wouldn't have it any other way.

ParloFax, Reader and Pinknik like this.
  10. HGN2001

My OUTER LIMITS Season One Blu-ray set arrived yesterday, and I've only had a few uninterrupted minutes to play with it. I've skimmed three or four of the discs, checked out a little bit of some of the commentaries and am generally very pleased with this. I even have to walk back a little bit the idea that the fuzzy cinematography might not look so good on Blu-ray as I put on the beginning of "The Forms Of Things Unknown" and realized that the Vaseline-smeared lens had some clear spots too.

All in all, good stuff!

ParloFax and Reader like this.
  11. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Love this program and I can't recommend Season 1 blu-ray highly enough. It obliterates the DVD sets. No comparison. It looks better than the family TV set did back in the day. What fine craftsmanship, The Outer Limits.

Hope we don't have to wait too long for the other half.

Reader likes this.
  12. Dirkwkirk

Dirkwkirk Forum Resident

Watched that show when i was a little kiddie. Used to spook me a bit. Looks more spooky in black & white. Do not attempt to adjust your set.

13. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

With commentaries by David Schow - who’s updating his book, The Outer Limits Companion - Gary Gerani, and others, this set is a treasure.

Plus, you can dig in even more with this:

We Are Controlling Transmission

ParloFax and Shawn like this.
  14. HGN2001

Uh-oh. Looks like demand has outpaced supply at Amazon. They only have third-party options with no stock of their own.

15. HGN2001

...and hours later, it's back in stock!

Michael likes this.
  16. Michael

at list price! only a hundred buck for 1 season...nice.: )

17. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Outer Limits

Just had my order shipped and should be here Friday. Total newb to the show so I can't wait to dig in.

18. HGN2001

There is being reported a small digital glitch in the episode called "The Chameleon" on Disc 7. It passes by very quickly at 25:10 into the episode during a dark pan section. It exhibits some pixellation in the whiter areas. Extremely minor, unless it happens to cause your player to malfunction. My Sony plows right through it.

Michael likes this.
  19. Michael

Thanks Harry... at a hundred dollars there should be no glitches...sorry I have no room for giving a high priced label a pass...do it right the first time...although I think the Fugitive fiasco win the trophy as the most problems ever!

20. HGN2001

Like I said, it's extremely minor. It goes by almost unnoticed unless you're looking for it. I mention it so that people can check their copies in their players, just in case it causes more pain in other hardware.

21. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

I guess it's time to upgrade my VHS copy of Demon With The Glass Hand.
    [​IMG]

longdist01 likes this.
  22. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

23. Michael

24. trem two

trem two Forum Resident

Someone put it on youtube. Around six seconds into the clip.

longdist01 likes this.
  25. Michael

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    chilinvilin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.