Best Buy to stop selling CDs in-store this year

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by DorothyV, Feb 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

That's true - my local B&N has quire a section.

melstapler and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

But, except for some new releases, B&N charges full retail for most of it's music.

3. Metralla

yeah - prices have never been good there.

crookedbill and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. crookedbill

crookedbill Forum Resident

After twenty years, the Barnes & Noble near me just closed last month. They always had a pretty big music section and I bought a few albums there over the years (as recently as a couple years ago), but they priced CDs way too high. Between $15-$20 'til the day they closed. As soon as digital started gaining market-share CDs at retail everywhere should've dropped to $10, or below - yet they really didn't.

Actually, that's one of the things that kept me shopping for CDs on Amazon up until very recently - you could (and still can) get brand new CDs on Amazon for under $10. Less than a legit album download on iTunes.

In the last year I've just about switched entirely to downloading new albums from 7digital.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

Best Buy stopped selling CD's here in Canada years ago. It has never once stopped me from continuing to buy the ones I want, although I buy mostly records these days.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Best Buy is like tomb dead in there.. and boring..
    Not the same.. as they were years ago no more best buy exclusives...

melstapler, Galley and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I guess the upcoming Myles Kennedy release might be the final Best Buy exclusive.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. WarEagleRK

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

They're in the appliance business, which will probably pick up as soon as Sears finally snuffs it. Computers and printers as well.

melstapler and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Best Buy tried carrying vinyl about ten years ago. It didn't work out well for them. I think Barnes and Nobel has a better selection than BB ever did. The only record I remember buying from them was the Police reunion album.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. crookedbill

The Best Buy near me has a small selection of vinyl still, since they also sell turntables. Oddly enough, the Bed, Bath & Beyond in the same shopping complex also has a small selection of vinyl to go along with their small selection of turntables.

I bet a couple CEO's heard "vinyl is back!" and didn't want to miss out. Those vinyl displays will definitely be gone sooner than later, though. Can't imagine anybody would go to Best Buy to get vinyl, much less Bed, Bath & Beyond.

melstapler and seed_drill like this.
  12. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I’ve always wanted a Crosley all in one in my bathroom.

MarkO likes this.
  13. crookedbill

I guess their "vinyl & turntable" section is covered by the "Beyond" part of the store name, as opposed to the "Bed" and "Bath."

I mean, frankly, by that logic they could sell just about anything in there - and, now that I'm thinking about it, at the one near me where they sell vinyl, they also sell electric/motorized bicycles. No joke. So weird.

seed_drill likes this.
  14. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Do you think they will put CDs on clearance or send back to vendors?

melstapler likes this.
  15. WarEagleRK

I am going to guess they might continue to sell them online, just not in stores. If not I am guessing send back to the vendors.

Matthew Tate and Boomy like this.
  16. dr jazz

dr jazz Forum Resident

It's probably not a big deal what they do with the cds. I was in a store this weekend to use an expiring rewards code and you could put all the cds they had in one box

Gaslight, Matthew Tate and melstapler like this.
  17. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Definitely. Around 2012, I started to notice their CD selection was diminishing at the locations I frequented and it seemed to only get worse. Best Buy seem to only cater to the lowest common denominator by stocking only a handful of top 40 pop music titles on CD.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

I haven't gone to Best Buy to look for music in over 5 years (I have actually purchased more CDs at Walmart, it's hard to believe Walmart has a better selection). I noticed a change around 2010 when they promoted their online service.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Robbie Hewitt

Robbie Hewitt Well-Known Member

The writing is on the wall, physical media is going away. OPPO just announced their end of production for later this year summer. As someone already said, mobility over quality even though quality was seldom a top priority for most labels. We already see the labels trying to muscle their way into our pockets with well financed schemes like MQA that will line their pockets while delivering a less the CD quality product to subscribers. Will we be seeing a rise in used CD prices one day?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Metralla

I think we will - only because they are stupid low at the moment.

Malina, Dave and melstapler like this.
  21. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I don't think we're going to see an eventual CD resurgence like vinyl is currently having, just my opinion and I could be totally wrong of course.

But prices will probably eventually rise in the used market. The real question is whether we're seen the bottom yet for the used CD market already, or if things will drop further.

PhantomStranger and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Was going to ask for a link to verify, but just looked at the Audio Equipment Discussion Forum And saw the Oppo Thread. Wow!

If true, glad I bought a Used NM Condition Oppo 105D for $725 this past November and put off getting a TT until next December to build my start up system. If what you mentioned is true, people interested in buying a Used Oppo(which ever model they would want) better get one soon, as would think the prices for all Used Models(especially in NM Condition) will only go higher after production ends. I think I bought my 105D off a person, who was buying the Newer Model released last year.

23. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

Like used vinyl, it all depends on whether it's something rare or sought after which will bring up the price, or common and just sits there for months if not years before someone buys it for cheap.

Not all used vinyl is like Elvis Presley or The Beatles, where even fair conditions are being priced by some at $20 and up. Logically, used CD's will follow a similar path in a decade.

Also while it is sad that OPPO is ceasing production of their players, I should clarify that they are ceasing production on all hardware gear, not just their Bluray players. Meaning it's a company wide move, not because they necessarily consider physical media to be dead.

24. PFA

PFA Forum Resident

I used to go to Best Buy just to look through their CD selection. It is what brought me into their store.

Since they reduced/eliminated their CD shelves, I seldom go to Best Buy at all anymore.

Last time I was in one it seemed like it was all phones and TVs.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  25. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

My local chain went under in 2002 and I haven't been in a cd store since. I do stop in to Best Buy on occasion to buy a mouse or possibly some other small type of thing. They suck me in with the candy and the chips near the register - maybe they will become a convenience store!

Who needs cd stores when you can go online and get a brand new factory sealed Howlin' Wolf 12x12 Chess Box with the Special Order invoice on it from 1994 for 12.95? Not me.

BRAND NEW,SEALED! 1991 Howlin Wolf: The Chess Box,****NEW*** NO RESERVE | eBay

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.