The Terror: Limited Series (AMC)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GodShifter, Dec 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

ooh we actually get episode 3 tonight? exciting!

GodShifter likes this.
  2. Pretty damn good!

So far, though, the "creature" out there looks a bit mechanical, a tad corny, like the Wampa in The Empire Strikes Back. Otherwise, no nits to pick, really.

I like the various dialects, very Victorian British, which really sets the historical mood. Oh, and look! - homeboy got some of his eyelid peeled off from the looking glass.

Really a very good show. A solid B.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  3. Wonder if Simmons will go back and rewrite portions of his novel.

4. Um spoiler alert would be nice for those who didn’t read the book or see the episode yet(3 hours behind on the west coast). I could care less as I read the book but others might...

5. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

That is what bothered me when watching 'Breaking Bad' during it's original run on AMC. So many great Tense Moments in that show, that I could not wait for the TV Adverts to end, or worse, needing to wait a week for the next episode, or 8-10 months for the next Season. Actually, 'Breaking Bad' was the first TV Series where I could not wait for the TV Ads to end and resume watching the episode. Although, this also is how I thought about 'Sons of Anarchy' & 'Hannibal'.

Have to admit, I was jealous of people, who never saw the show on AMC, but binge watched it later on a Streaming Service. Then again, I was glad to have seen every Season during it's Original Run(I kept trying to tell people I knew that 'Breaking Bad' was the Greatest Drama TV Show that I had ever seen(surpassing 'The Wire').

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  6. I don't see any spoilers here. I didn't call anybody by name.

Moreover, every ongoing TV show thread I've ever been a part of on this forum (which is a lot), if it airs that night, it's free game. People just know not to read if they haven't seen it yet.

I'm not coming at you, though. Just saying.

Now, for all of those shows where the put the whole season up at once, like Netflix, that's a different story. :)

ex_mixer and GentleSenator like this.
  7. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

I caught the first two episodes last night. Of course, I had to revisit and catch up on the history and findings since the two wrecks were recently discovered.

Discoveries

ex_mixer and GodShifter like this.
  8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Quite possible he’d do a revised version; especially in light of the series and its popularity. Probably not, though.

9. Yes, I doubt it too but, if he did change it, there would always be the risk he would mess with other elements as well.

GodShifter likes this.
  10. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

You saw the creature? I must have missed it, I saw just quick blurs, nothing I could even describe. Last night's program was good, can't wait till next Monday...

11. I thought it was in Episode 2.

Yeah, this show is very atmospheric and claustrophobic. Really well done. I didn't see Sir John being taken out so early. I also thought it was particularly well-done when they are reading Sir John's writings out on the ice, while Hickey is leaving a deuce in his lover's bed. While not a very good look for Hickey, I still like his character. I hope he doesn't turn out to be too terribly bad.

@wayneklein I apologize if I'm wrong about spoilers and such. I just don't go to a thread for a show that I'm watching until I've seen the episode in question. I was behind until last night. Now I'm all caught up. Like the Better Call Saul threads, we were posting as soon as the episode is over, no matter where people live. :) Contrast that with something like Mindhunter or The Handmaids Tale, where spoiler tags are used galore, until, oh, maybe about a month after it airs, so that most people are caught up. *shrug*

GodShifter likes this.
  12. GodShifter

I was able to get episodes 3, 4, and 5. I’m not giving away any spoilers, but the changes in the tv script to novel have been interesting.

I had zero idea what the hell Hickey was doing, but I do now! I’ll watch the episodes I have several more times to discern what is going on. So far, close to the book, but veering far enough it's not predictable. Still loving this.

13. GodShifter

The “creature” looked lame in the 2nd episode. I was really disappointed with that depiction. Gah.

14. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I thought that was a Polar Bear? No idea about a creature, but I have not read the book and not familiar with the story before watching this TV Show.

Also not a good idea to give Spoilers for the week until the next episode, as a lot of people DVR Shows to watch on a later day in the week. I would not want to ruin it for those people. After that, I would just provide a 'Spoiler Alert' in a post to warn people ahead of time. I started watching McMafia, but fell behind and need to catch up with several episodes from the past 4-5 weeks.

GodShifter and Spitfire like this.
  15. No worries. Were good. :edthumbs:

GodShifter and EVOLVIST like this.
  16. What I saw was pretty blurry.

GentleSenator and Borgia like this.
  17. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

yeah, it was just a quick flash of something running, it looked bear-like.

wayneklein likes this.
  18. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Okay... not knowing anything about this. Just finished episode one. Which was really episode one and two. Nice to see Mance Rayder back in the cold. As open and vast as the location suggested... it was claustrophobic as hell. How terrifying the unknown must be.

I had no problems with the commercial interruptions. I got in on demand and they were short (can't believe the Walking Dead is still on). The creature in ep 2 did look cheesy and cartoon like. But the drone like photography raising high into the sky gave a nice perspective of how far into their frozen hell they are.

I'm in.

GodShifter likes this.
  19. Chris from Chicago

Episode 3. Looks like we have a new captain. And a revenge dump. Not having read the book, I wonder if the photograph taken will be evidence of what's left of the journey...

GodShifter likes this.
  20. Chris from Chicago

When sir John dangled over the ice hole (did you call me ice hole?) with torn appendage beside him... it was as close as I'd ever come to having a panic attack because of a TV show.

This was good television.

21. GodShifter

Well, most of my concerns and nitpicking have been addressed to at least some degree: the cold tearing the skin off Crozier's eye lid, the rats used for the blind, and whatever else I was mildly bitching about. Biggest problem is with the lack of seeing their breath in that extreme cold, but it is what it is. The whole show was done on a sound stage in Budapest so it's hard to get everything right in terms of replicating the arctic. For those of you that have not read the book, that is not exactly how John Franklin dies in the story, but this version was better; much more dramatic.

22. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I'm surprised to read this. I was thinking last night that it looked like it had really been filmed outside in the cold. I did notice the breath, but it is there in some shots and that was convincing enough for me.

GodShifter likes this.
  23. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

The sets look fantastic. If only Ice Station Zebra could've looked this realistic.:)

24. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i think Ciarán Hinds is only cast nowadays to die dramatically. dammit!

GodShifter and Rufus McDufus like this.
  25. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I love that old scuba suit, helmet, and weighted boots from the first episode. That must have been terrifying

GodShifter, Borgia and EVOLVIST like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.