Japan (David Sylvian) SACDs -- Anyone heard these?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hutlock, Apr 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing Thread Starter

Was just browsing around Import CDs and saw that there were SACDs issued in 2017 of three titles by Japan (David Sylvian's band, not the country).

Oil on Canvas
    Gentlemen Take Polaroids
    Tin Drum

I mean, I've been praying for some Hi-Res Sylvian for years now so if these are even remotely decent, I'm gonna pull the trigger on all of them. Anyone heard these?

Blurb says these feature the 2003 remasters which I know some folks don't care for but in wondering if they sound any better in this format. I don't hate those remasters but they aren't my go-to versions either...

toilet_doctor and englishbob like this.
  2. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

I love these, but it seems I'm the only one here. In my ears they don't sound loud, but who am I? I don't have the 2003 versions, so can't compare these with the SACDs.

I only dislike the sonics of Oil on Canvas which I purchased for the first time, but that's the recordings

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    toilet_doctor, Davidmk5 and hutlock like this.
  3. hutlock

Excellent, thanks for the response. Like I said, I am not nearly as negative toward those 2003 remasters as some are so if you like them, chances are I will too.

art and toilet_doctor like this.
  4. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

I didn't write this above correctly. This is a better reply:
    I don't know the 2003 remasters of Japan (which are not very beloved here). I know from here also that the 2016 SACDs stems from the remaster. I purchased the Japan SACDs and love however the sound of the two Japan studio albums ('Gentlemen Take Polaroids' and 'Tin Drum') at SACD.

They are in my ears not loud at all, but can't tell if the SACDs are sonically improved comparing the 2003 remasters.

5. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

I'm just thankful all of the discography wasn't issued on SACD otherwise I'd of had to get them all again.

"Polaroids" is my favourite (it has "Swing" on it after all) and Tin Drum is excellent. I'd skip Oil on Canvas though, it was disappointing in so many ways on release, sounding pretty much identical to studio versions mix-wise, and possibly the worst shot concert film in living memory.

I'm surprised Paul Raymer over at Nightporter website doesn't have these SACD's

toilet_doctor, Echo and Davidmk5 like this.
  6. hutlock

Yes, I agree. I'm glad it's just 3 (and it might be just 2 because I am thinking about skipping Oil On Canvas. I already own too many versions of it and I very very rarely listen to it as it is.)

But oh man, here's hoping they wind up doing Sylvian's Virgin titles. I would gladly plunk down for ALL of those.

toilet_doctor, Davidmk5 and Echo like this.
  7. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I have to agree I enjoy both Gentlemen & Tin drum ....... They don't bother me either , I don't find them as Compressed as everyone made them out to be , I took a chance on both & i'm pretty happy with them .

I agree Sylvians Virgin releases would Highly interest me as well .

toilet_doctor and hutlock like this.
  8. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

I knew these SACDs of Japan were allready reviewded (and compared) at another thread by our fellow member @toilet_doctor . Maybe fine to add it here for all people in the future who will look for information or more opinions:

Source, the original thread:
    Universal and Sony Hong Kong SACD, K2 HDCD, UltraHD CD Series

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  9. hutlock

Thanks for posting this!

Well, I'm going to grab them.

Davidmk5 and toilet_doctor like this.
  10. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

I'm curious to what your opinion will be. Please post your review at a later time here. Smart to not to purchase 'Oil on Canvas', different than the other two, that was for me a disappointment

hutlock likes this.
  11. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

I found another review by toilet_doctor (at the same thread) of the Japan SACDs. This time a pure review:

toilet_doctor likes this.
  12. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

I can't believe for one second that anyone would bother/be able to/ obtain the master tape for these 3 albums and make an SACD out of them.

Anonamemouse likes this.
  13. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

Uni do not need to obtain the master, as they own it. Another thing is "to bother" - the project of 1000 copies is too small for them. Quick flat transfer was a solution in the SHM-SACD project for the previous 6 years. The sound was similar on a ear. It gave me maybe wrong idea...
    However:

toilet_doctor said:

Sorry, guys, something here I cannot understand:
    Who cares, whether it is 2003 Remaster or new Flat Transfer from Master Tape, if sound is Very Good?

(Post#332 Feb.8, 2017)

"I compared Tin Drum to my best Brian Ferry Mini LP SHM-SACD Boys and Girls, which ranks in the "Very Good" category.
    Tin Drum outperformed Boys and Girls, coming very close to Roxy Music Avalon Mini LP SHM-SACD, which remains in the category "Best".

(Post#331 Feb.8, 2017)

hutlock and Davidmk5 like this.
  14. hutlock

Just ordered all 3 shipped for about $90. I figured it was a decent price and if they really are limited to just 1000 copies I don't want to be sorry later if I decide I want Oil on Canvas after all.

rockinlazys and toilet_doctor like this.
  15. toilet_doctor

They are numbered, but sometimes label goes with unnumbered second print. I believe first print is still available.
    Here is Tin Drum copy #0070 for $34.99 (with "Make Offer" listing) from Hong Kong retailer on eBay:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Japan - Tin Drum" Limited Numbered #0070 Stereo Hybrid SACD CD 2016 New Sealed 1608734736876 | eBay

englishbob and hutlock like this.
  16. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Actually, I've read a Hong Kong music executive say that if a title can sell 1,000 copies, it will be profitable. Don't forget HK is a small music market, where selling just 7,500 copies of an international title will get you a "gold record" (link to HK IPFI webpage).

For a SACD of an international title, I doubt there would be a second pressing. Also, HK SACDs are often limited in terms of where they can be distributed. For example, the Japan SACDs are only limited to be sold in the city of Hong Kong and Macau (officially), as seen on HK Universal Music's website.

17. hutlock

Thanks for that info. Glad I went ahead and got all 3 of them now. I'll probably keep Oil on Canvas sealed for a while though hahaha

toilet_doctor likes this.
  18. toilet_doctor

Good points, soundboy. I don't see any other SACD title going beyond first print. This is like market probe for them, I think.

19. hutlock

All three titles arrived today with surprisingly low numbers!

Gentlemen 333
    Tin Drum 163
    Oil 66 (!)

Will report back over the next few days as I listen but right now I am giddy like a schoolgirl!

20. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

And I bought all three from ImportCDs on the day they got them in months ago, and I got #615 for Oil. The other two discs are downstairs and I don't feel like running down to check the numbers.

hutlock likes this.
  21. hutlock

Yeah mine are from ImportCDs too. Weird that our numbers were THAT far apart from the same vendor.

22. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Got the numbers from my other two discs:

Gentleman - 133
    Tin Drum - 244

hutlock likes this.
  23. hutlock

Okay, I haven't done a head to head be the redbook 2003 remastered CDs but these definitely sound better to my ear. As stated above, Oil on Canvas is just never going to sound great but this is still probably the best digital version I've heard of it.

Gentlemen and Tin Drum both sounded great though. Smooth, clear, not distorted or compressed sounding really. I definitely recommend grabbing these before they dry up.

Davidmk5 and toilet_doctor like this.
  24. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I'm with you , I enjoy the two i have "toilet_doctor" did those early Reviews & i was in , so thanks to you TD !! :righton:

Pretty Happy with my two studio albums , I skipped Oil on Canvas .

toilet_doctor and hutlock like this.
  25. toilet_doctor

They probably wouldn't last long as I see retailers is selling now their lower numbers. Then, price will go up.

I would recommend with my clear conscience this one:
    (Warning: Limited quantity available)
    Enigma - MCMXC A.D. [New SACD] Hong Kong - Import | eBay
    and that one (w/different Mix) :
    Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells [New SACD] Hong Kong - Import | eBay
    and musically, and sound-wise.

Please put them in the forum search to find my in-depth reviews with comparison tests.

P.S.
    Please get back to us with your numbers and comments, after all.

hutlock and Davidmk5 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.