New Record Label: Intervention Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chosenhandle, Aug 6, 2015.

1. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Unknown. Am going to do Field Day first.

telepicker97 and Dok like this.
  2. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Wow. I LOVE this album!

3. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I think the Rhino is the original vinyl release. Isn’t it? That’s why it’s pricey—it’s out of print and the only way to get the album on vinyl.

Ryan_Pretzel, IR Shane and sonofjim like this.
  4. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

THANK YOU! Did you get the LP or the SACD? Yes, Phill Brown's recording is just amazing, and OMG do I think this is just a powerhouse of an album. It has meant so much to Murray for this album to be enjoying this little comeback for this album. I don't know if you follow me on the social networks but Murray has been inspired to play several songs from Nigel in his live shows this year FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER! How cool is that? This album was such a heartbreak for him he never played these great songs. This is really the best!

5. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

This is the second time this week it's been brought to my attention an album I have is now rare and valuable!!

6. Gez

Gez Forum Resident

Not sure if there is a particular aesthetic for the label in terms of "type" of music but a great recommendation (imho) of a forgotten band would be the catalog of Thin White Rope - particularly Moonhead and In The Spanish Cave. Great work on the label so far, I have a Gram Parsons and a couple of the Joe Jackson titles on vinyl and they are top notch.

7. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

I'm glad you enjoyed it; unfortunately, I found the bass frequencies bloated and the 3D imagery of the soundstage mostly absent, as if it were cut from the 1998 remastered DATs that have been in use since that time.

All the more reason for an...INTERVENTION, as it were.

0476pearljam, sonofjim and IR Shane like this.
  8. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I must admit my recommendation for this one is selfishly motivated. I have all the rest and slept on this one. It’s great music and a great story. Three kids from Illinois get together and essentially invent, or reinvent, alt-country. They split and go on to form other great and hideously underrated bands that have inspired countless others.

I think Uncle Tupelo is one of the greatest undertold stories in music history. If ever there was a band cut out for a label like Intervention, it’s them. Anodyne is the one that needs it bad. Kevin Gray, Anodyne? No brainer.

9. telepicker97

100% agreed.

10. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

No doubt, if there’s a better one I’ll buy it. This one is far from the worst of the recent vinyl reissues though. Southern Harmony is the one that has never been done justice by any stretch. One of the best albums since the 70’s still sounds like this? Golden fruit for the picking.

0476pearljam likes this.
  11. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I bought it when it was readily available, then saw that it was pricey and sold it to raise money toward my turntable purchase. Now I regret selling it and would flip for an all-analog version.

telepicker97 likes this.
  12. telepicker97

Truthfully, imho, the entire catalog 1990-2002 needs an overhaul.

13. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I’ll give you that. I think SYMM and Southern Harmony need it the most. SYMM is aweful on the recent vinyl. I would buy the entire catalog again on Intervention vinyl without a blink. How many others would? That’s Shane’s point of view. You can do this but will it sell enough? Sign me up for copy #1.

0476pearljam and telepicker97 like this.
  14. telepicker97

copy #1 has already been spoken for, but since I admire your attitude and enthusiasm, I hope you will accept #2.

:righton:

sonofjim likes this.
  15. telepicker97

Uncle Tupelo : Anodyne
    The Black Crowes : By Your Side
    The Black Crowes : 3 Snakes & One Charm

I'd buy all 3 on 180g, 150g, AND SACD from IR.

DPM likes this.
  16. Anodyne is quite a great album! I bought the Rhino LP a few years back... added it to the collection and hadn’t listened to it in years until a few weeks back and I quite enjoyed the sound. I looked it up on Discogs for giggles and was shocked at how much it was going for. Needless to say I’m glad I snagged it, Hahahaha. Intervention release would be welcomed definitely. Not too familiar with the Black Crowes albums but hey - because of y’all I’m gonna add them to my Apple Music. I know the hits and I know they are a well regarded band but I was pretty young during their heyday and haven’t had time to revisit.

telepicker97 likes this.
  17. Crowes72

Crowes72 Forum Resident

Second that...

0476pearljam likes this.
  18. Dok

Dok Senior Member

I've got the SACD. Not set up for vinyl here. It amazes me the thought that went into the structure and arrangements of each song and the variations therein. I'm not on FB, so I didn't know. Kudos to Murray (and you ;-) and I'm glad to hear he's getting at least some latter day recognition for this wonderful work. He deserves it. It reminds me a little of Gene Clark and what he went through with 'No Other' not doing better at the time, but at least he was able to play some of those songs live in a pared down setting while he was still alive.

19. Forget Yourself

Forget Yourself Forum Resident

I can't wait to have the opportunity to have Starfish on SACD/ VINYL or both, and I would snap up any new high quality Church vinyl. That said, Heyday would be great!

vonwegen, izgoblin, Dorian75 and 3 others like this.
  20. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Tons of people would buy audiophile vinyl of the Crowes catalog without blinking. I don't think that's the issue.
    The BIG issue is that Universal, a billion-dollar conglomerate, owns the rights to press the vinyl. And they're currently pressing and selling the vinyl right now. And even though it sounds like garbage, customers are still buying it (and apparently giving it an average rating of 4.5/5 on Amazon, so they don't care).
    It's extremely doubtful that Universal would share their rights with a boutique label, especially if said label plans to release a product in direct competition with THEIR current product. I mean, Shane should still ask, but I suspect the answer will be a flat-out "NO" or an extremely cost-prohibitive amount.

This is the problem with the current era of poorly-done digitally-sourced reissues. They don't just serve the albums poorly; they also prevent other, better labels from doing the reissues CORRECTLY. (Especially now that vinyl is staying in print longer and longer.)

If you're looking at a big-time 90s band, better to focus on one with an OOP catalog.... Alice In Chains is a good example. Two studio albums 100% out of print on vinyl, the other album and EPs only licensed in Europe through MOV. Sony might let those rights go to a boutique label for a limited run while they continue to drag their feet....

vonwegen, Robert C, Dorian75 and 2 others like this.
  21. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I know Starfish will be a smash..then hopefully Heyday and Priest soon to follow!

AlienRendel likes this.
  22. George P

George P Notable Member

You're getting married?

;)

IR Shane likes this.
  23. telepicker97

This post warms my heart.

Croweology
    Before the Frost/Until the Freeze
    Southern Harmony & Musical Companion
    Amorica
    3 Snakes & One Charm
    Freak & Roll (Into the Fog)
    The Lost Crowes
    Warpaint

Start with those...

24. telepicker97

Amen.

25. telepicker97

You'd be surprised...

Sony owns the rights to BYS, anyway...and it's definitely OOP on vinyl, and probably on CD as well...
    That being said, if someone has to contact Sony, may as well do it in re: to AIC as well. I know I'd buy their entire catalog, as well...

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018