"Roseanne" revival with John Goodman, Sara Gilbert and Laurie Metcalf.*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Apr 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

the lottery win never happened period. was stated in the shows original series finale. I'd like to know what happened to the lunch box

905 likes this.
  2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah, but the finale said that the whole series as we saw it never happened, so...

905 and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

yes exactly so maybe they never owned it lol

905 likes this.
  4. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

The first 9 seasons were a dream. ;)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Just never cared for Rosanne. Her show didn’t grab me then and I have no interest in watching it now. What is going on with all these reboots ?

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

They draw good ratings and TV people are out of ideas for new shows I guess.

7. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

TV is definitely not what it used to be, that's for sure. People nowadays are more into stuff like reboots of old shows instead of reality shows.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

[​IMG]

How Archie Bunker Forever Changed in the American Sitcom

The return of ABC’s ‘Roseanne’ inspires a reevaluation of television’s history of portraying the working class

How Archie Bunker Forever Changed in the American Sitcom | Arts & Culture | Smithsonian

“Roseanne” returns to ABC. The reboot comes at a perfect cultural moment–television comedy is thriving in its second Golden Age, and while recent shows have made strides exploring issues of identity from race to sexuality, the elephant in America’s living rooms, class, has been only spottily addressed in the 20 years that “Roseanne” has been off the air.

From their post-WWII inception, American sitcoms showcased primarily affluent, aspirational, white families; think of the Cleavers on “Leave it to Beaver,” the Andersons on “Father Knows Best,” and the Nelsons on “The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet.” An academic study of 262 situational comedies from 1946-1990 revealed that only 11 percent of programs featured blue-collar characters as heads of household - the most notable were the two “ethnic” comedies that came directly from old radio programs like “The Goldbergs” and “Amos ‘n’ Andy.” In the 1950s and 1960s, the genre was dominated by professional, college-educated protagonists and their impressive, pristine homes. (The only real exception was “The Honeymooners,” which aired in the mid-50s and starred Jackie Gleason as New York City bus driver and would-be domestic batterer Ralph Kramden.)

9. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Along with David Lynch's recent (and equally controversial) Twin Peaks revival, I think what we're seeing is not the lack of new ideas in action, quite the opposite, but the lack of new ideas everywhere else. It seems that only established artists and names have enough clout in the industry to get projects off the ground or to say or do anything daring. And even then they face an almost impossible battle. I think that was one of the great things about the original Roseanne is that she took control of the show and beat back the network suits who tend to ruin everything.

JimW and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

She took control of the show and drove it right off a cliff. It was much better when she had limited input and control.

11. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

We are only three episodes in and there is plenty of character development to still happen. There's plenty of back story that we don't know about as well. I'm sure they are watching the reviews and maybe we will get some answers. If not, I'm fine. It's entertaining to me and that's about it. This is honestly the first show I can think of being on prime-time television that I seek to watch in the past 20 years (more-so because it is familiar to my own youth). When I want to be lost on what happened in a 20 year plus void, I'll rewatch the new Twin Peaks.

MartyTem, Matthew Tate, 905 and 2 others like this.
  12. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Nah, it lasted, what, nine or ten seasons? It was only the last two that were bad and that was long after she was already in control. She made that show the success it was by demanding a certain level of quality and integrity. I mean, sure, we got Tom Arnold out of it, but like I've said before, the show wasn't perfect.

13. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Now that Roseanne is back and reboots are doing well, one needs brought back.

Boston Legal

Denny Crane.

14. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

I want to see cheers or what cheers looks like now with maybe a return ever now and again of the old cast. Weird watching the show on Netflix now because I never watched it as a kid when it was new because I was made to go to sleep when it was on I was in elementary and it was a show my parents watched because it was their generation. I love it now and miss that period

Matthew Tate and rontoon like this.
  15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Cheers reunion series- that could be interesting!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

It's time to revive "married with children".

Kyhl and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

18. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

True, especially since it looks like the show is going on for more than the eight episodes that were originally scheduled.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah, we're getting 9 episodes this season and I believe another 13 next season.

20. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

As much as I enjoy William Shatner, remember the guy is now 87 years old.

21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah, but his age doesn't seem to really be slowing him down all that much. :shrug:

22. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I saw him in person last week and he spoke and moved around like a man 25 years younger. But yeah, a tv show shooting schedule might be asking too much of him.

23. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Exactly. He appears to be in remarkable shape for his age, but he needs to slow down at some point!

24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Nobody tells James T. Kirk to slow down! :)

25. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

But he’s still Denny Crane.

I actually binge watched the series last week. It saddened me to think that Denny Crane was probably gone now, 10 years later.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.