Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2018 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tededfred, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

We got one last year too

wavethatflag likes this.
  2. ChesterB

ChesterB Well-Known Member

Exactly. My poor attempt at sarcasm!

3. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Well even if you do miss this one, I think the extra numbers pressed all went to flippers, and they seem to be saturated with copies of DaP 24 & 25 for about $50 each. Are these retailing for $30, I can't remember, if so $50 isn't too much of a rip off.

SBegonias17 and KCWhistle like this.
  4. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

That's good to know.
    By the way, someone's selling a used copy of Dave's #1 at Amazon. Only $777,77! :biglaugh:

5. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

I think we're going to be waiting a while for a box announcement. I think they'll be busy getting this one sold and shipped before they turn to the next order of business. At least a month.

And maybe I'm only speaking for myself but I'd prefer not to have one shipping during the peak of summer's heat. So if no box until fall I'm OK with that.

Matthew Tate and SBegonias17 like this.
  6. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

Even ruling out the truly obscene listings like that one, it's still absolutely shocking to me how much people are asking for those earlier volumes. I realize the production runs were lower on those, but geez. I'm trying to resign myself to never owning any of those, but it's hard, and a shame. I'm definitely subscribing next time around -- if even two of them are shows I'm excited about, the cost will pretty quickly be a non-issue, and frankly just saving the future headache will be worth it.

AlienRendel likes this.
  7. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I'd prefer a May/early June announcement fot a box set. Easy to make it my birthday present, even if it ships later.
    And yes, I do think that this is a reasonable request. :righton:

8. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

I would concur. I think a summer/fall box set is in the cards. I wonder if it will be anniversary related, like Summer '73 or September '73. Or Fall '83!

9. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

So with Dave's 22 and 26 (and bonus discs) we now have 8 discs worth of 1971 in the last year.

And if you're keeping score at home, it's Dark Star 0, Run Rudolph Run 2.

Looking forward to it anyway - 1971 The Other One is always welcome!

10. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Ah, another Gemini.

11. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

These releases are a missed box set opportunity, Run Rudolph Run was played 7 times (all in December 71) and we could have had a box set of 12/4, 12/6, 12/7, 12/9, 12/10, 12/14, and 12/15 and it could have been packaged in a giant Reindeer.

12. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

:wave:

US Blues likes this.
  13. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i love 1971 though

ducksdeluxe and Ezzie like this.
  14. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

:wave::wave:

WaterLemon and ducksdeluxe like this.
  15. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

oddly, aside from Phils amazing tone, I find 1971 to be among the least interesting year of the 70's. Very few risks and little deep space travel. Sure I get that they stepped back to set the groundwork for the next few years but much prefer the house that was eventually built then the foundation.

16. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Shall we take bets on what percentage of these end up on Ebay?

SBegonias17 likes this.
  17. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Yeah, I really don't understand how these emails do anything except to make things easier for the scalpers, er I mean flippers. Wouldn't it be cool if we could order these by mailing them an index card? :hide:

18. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

I think they should do what Ferrari does. When you purchase a car from them, you are required to give them first right to buy the car back at sticker should you try to sell before one year is up. Should you sell anyways, you lose your ability to purchase from them again. These have all sorts of info making them VERY easy to track to the original purchase. Stupid how many of Dave's Picks are on EBAY and not being enjoyed.

19. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

:tiphat:

US Blues likes this.
  20. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

That sounds like a plan. They even have serial numbers.

21. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I agree. I don't reach for 71 very often. Probably better that they keep releasing Dave's from 71. I'm probably not buying a 71 box set, so Dave is following in Bill Graham's footsteps. Giving me what I need, not necessarily what I want.

22. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I haven't been buying the Dave's Picks releases lately but I'm in for this one since I was there that snowy night.

23. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I dont go after Fall ‘71 shows as a rule, but if it comes in a fromat like this in a subscription mode, Im gonna be listening. Keith has a different energy which I find invigorating. He seems to spur Jerry on and of course here we get the benefit of an extra disc and a half with both Keith and Pig. Bonus

24. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I don't think the newer ones go for much more than list.

trumpet sounds and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

I'm telling you...do like MLB teams do for ticket sales. You want the next Dave's a la carte? Make sure you are subscribed to the Dead's email distribution (or set up a separate one for Dave's Picks only...whatever) by XX date. A week before the a la carte goes live, randomly choose however many thousand email addresses and let them know to watch their email for a code that will allow them to buy the next edition a la carte. Send email out morning of the on sale with said code. Start sales at noon PT. Keep it open for 24-48 hours and allow purchase only with code. After that, whatever is left is fair game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.