Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2017-2018 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Aug 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Has the next group of hosts/musical acts been announced?

I liked both Arcade Fire performances this past episode, particularly the first one. I don't have any of their stuff and pretty much only see them when they come to SNL, but they're always entertaining.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Thanks. Going to go there now.

3. MikaelaArsenault

Cardi B is musical act and Chadwick Boseman is host.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Cardi B is about 8 minutes into her 15 of fame.

5. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I know I'm getting old - I've gotten to the point where I often have no idea who the host or the musical act are. Used to be I just didn't care...

6. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

And... he is hosting SNL April 14, with musical guest Jack White.

Funny as he worked for SNL for years but they only put him on the air a couple of times during Weekend Update.

Matthew Tate and OldSoul like this.
  7. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Pretty weak, pretty weak.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

I thought this was great:

Dan C likes this.
  9. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Front to back, nobody covered themselves in comedic glory in this one. Leslie Jones flubbed her very first line in the cold open which just got worse from there with French-sounding Latvians and Alec Baldwin phoning it in, the opening monologue had to fall back on a James Brown impersonation at the end to get any traction at all, Weekend Update was Weakened Update ( this is always the signal to bail out but I decided to see how bad it would get from there ) and the writers have started displaying an annoying trend of getting themselves out of going-nowhere sketches by ending with some dumb, throwaway line at the very end (ie: Keenan Thompson 's "let him go! " at the end of the fireman sketch ) as if to drive a final nail into the comedic coffin. Used at least twice in this episode. Also, Chadwick Boseman seemed remarkably lost most of the time.
    Things that need to stop already :
    a) game show parody- so very, very tired
    b) restaurant sketches - what... another one ? How many writers there have a side-hustle in the hospitality industry ( or should and soon may ) ?
    c) the idea that Alec Baldwin just needs to show up and hilarity ensues. It doesn't. His Trump has gotten sloppy and lazy and mugging for the camera isn't enough to carry it on its own.

Don't care enough about Cardi B to comment on her.

I'm starting to get that "well that was 90 minutes I'm never getting back" feeling again. This season has taken a decided turn towards the tedious.

D.D.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    Matthew Tate, Shawn, Deano6 and 2 others like this.
  10. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

Not the worst episode-I actually thought “Black Jeopardy” was funny (and I hate the tired old game show skits) and the Nike leggings bit was good too. Cardi B is pretty well known and popular, but I’m not surprised she’s of little regard around these parts.

11. agentalbert

That was as lame an episode as I've seen in awhile. I chuckled a bit at the leggings bit, and Heidi's re-appearance as "Angel" in WU, but that was about it. The live sketches went from passable to downright awful, like that fireman bit. Even the jokes from Michael and Colin during WU were unmemorable.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

His New in Town is one of the best stand up specials I've seen on Netflix in a long time, maybe it's still streaming there.

13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Saved by the leggings commercial and Black Jeopardy. The way Boseman milked every bit of comedy out of the potato salad response made watching the rest of the episode almost bearable. I also liked the Heidi Gardner boxer's wife bit on Update although it went on a bit long.

Matthew Tate and Hymie the Robot like this.
  14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Those were my favorites of the episode as well.

15. Holerbot6000

The Sprite joke and Potato Salad made me laugh. The rest was pretty bad. It's just variations on the same jokes and premises every week and a vast majority of the 'Players' are simply not funny. With all that is going on in the world, they should be killing it right now. Time to clean house again.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Start with Baldwin's Trump cold opens, which have just turned into a list of references rather than political comedy.

agentalbert and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. Holerbot6000

I actually agree with Trump. Bring back Daryl Hammond. His Trump was always funnier anyway (Jebra! Jebraaa...). Alec can go back to doing Tony Bennett.

18. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

That’s what you think!

Cardi B is co-hosting The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon; right now!
    :laugh: :agree: :p

19. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

One bum episode and it's time to clean house?! It's been a solid season, I'll let them have an off week now and then.

In spite of the gameshow trope, "Black Jeopardy" was about perfect. Every joke hit, and it was Boseman's best performance of the night...except for the R. Kelly bit, which was probably the best sketch of the night.

WU was solid but not too memorable except for Heidi's hilarious "boxer's wife" character. Also the Nike leggings ad.

In addition I really liked the "Aidy B" sketch. Laughed a lot.
    Cardi B Inspires “SNL”’s Aidy Bryant to Become “Aidy B”: Watch | Pitchfork

I think we can all agree it was one of the weaker episodes of the season, but happily I think it's an anomaly.

dan c

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Holerbot6000

I think the entire season has been particularly weak myself but to each their own. If it makes you laugh, then it's all good. I think I am just watching out of force of habit at this point, but that's my burden to bear.

21. agentalbert

ONE bum episode? How quickly Charles Barkley fades from memory...

;)

It was a bad episode, but I'm not giving up on the show anytime soon, I expect.

Dan C and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. MikaelaArsenault

What did everyone think of the Cardi B performance?

23. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Yeah that one sucked too, I stand corrected...:laugh:

dan c

24. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

The first song was ok and I didn't turn it off which is saying a lot compared to some of the musical acts.

I didn't make it through the second song for whatever reason...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.