Record Store Day "RSD" April 2018 Releases*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cwd, Feb 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. villiers terrace

villiers terrace Forum Resident

I’ve never seen them in the UK hence why last year one shop was selling The Beatles 7” for £7:99 and another one was asking £45.

2. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

*PRESS RELEASE * PRESS RELEASE * PRESS RELEASE *

On Saturday April 21, the album Unsung Heroes by Anne Soldaat (Daryll-Ann, Jason Falkner) & Yorick van Norden will be released in a limited edition as a Record Store Day item in the Netherlands by Excelsior Recordings. The CD can be ordered online exclusively through www.unsung-heroes.nl.

On the record, the duo honors artists who do not deserve to be forgotten.
    "Heroes like Gene Clark, Gram Parsons, Biff Rose, Badfinger and Dennis Wilson are often overlooked as a result of the canonization of pop music history", says Yorick van Norden.

Anne Soldaat: "Of course we could also have chosen to record '13 Smashes from the Sixties'. Pick the low-hanging fruit - so to speak. But none of that. We're too much archaeologists and missionaries at the same time. Add an innate sympathy for the musical underdog whose oeuvre - no matter how small or buried under a layer of dust - has stood the test of time and needs to be heard. Those artists are our 'Unsung Heroes' and they deserve not to be forgotten."

Over the past two years, the two traveled extensively throughout the Netherlands with their eponymous music performance. "Several times we were asked afterwards whether the performance was also available on CD, so that people could listen to the songs at home again", says Yorick. "At first we thought that was a stupid idea, because we had selected these songs on the basis of our love for the enormous expressiveness and magic of the original recordings. But as the tour progressed and people kept asking, we realized that some songs actually had very little in common with the original performances. They had started leading their own lives. "

Together with bass player Danny van Tiggele (Mister and Mississippi) and drummer Kees Schaper (Tim Knol, Clean Pete and Bent Van Looy), the album was recorded in SSE Noord, Amsterdam last month. Anne Soldaat and Yorick van Norden produced the album in collaboration with Frans Hagenaars.

Unsung Heroes will be available as a CD from Saturday 21 April and from Friday 11 May as a download and stream.
    The CD can be ordered online exclusively via www.unsung-heroes.nl.

Anne Soldaat & Yorick van Norden - Unsung Heroes

01 Don't Make Promises (Tim Hardin) (3:26)
    02 Timeless Melody (Lee Mavers) (2:48)
    03 Silent Air (Adrian Borland) (3:58)
    04 Day After Day (Pete Ham) (3:17)
    05 Gentle People (Biff Rose) (2:48)
    06 I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better (Gene Clark) (2:28)
    07 Medley: Meant for You (Brian Wilson & Mike Love) / Be Still (Dennis Wilson & Stephen Kalinich) (1:59)
    08 Time Will Show the Wiser (Emitt Rhodes) (2:51)
    09 Alone and Forsaken (Hank Williams) (2:23)
    10 Christine's Tune (Devil in Disguise) (Gram Parsons & Chris Hillman) (2:37)
    11 The Ballad of El Goodo (Chris Bell & Alex Chilton) (3:58)
    12 I Come and Stand at Every Door (Nazim Hikmet & James Waters) (3:37)

total playing time: 36:10

Rosskolnikov, jlf, karmaman and 3 others like this.
  3. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

I have to expand my search radius for local shops now that will be participating in RSD. The one I've gone to before has stopped participating in carrying the new releases and the other hardly gets anything they put requests in for!

The only things I want this year look to be the Chuck Berry hits and Bo Diddley hits LPs.

4. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

It's too bad. RSD is good and bad for small business shops. If the shop doesn't have a lot of room in their budget, it's difficult for them to purchase a bunch of nonreturnable product if it doesn't sell. Many RSD items go for below cost online if they have to go that route. Of course, that's usually after the initial hub-bub of it's claimed rarity.

mr.dave and raveoned like this.
  5. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

The one I would usually go to always had a nice turnout on the day, even sold some existing used stock! The crowd was always orderly and they always had some great availability. But in stopping by later on, they would have people returning some unopened RSD titles or they would have too many leftovers of things that just weren't selling.

Plus they would make an event of it, having coffee and donuts in the morning and pizza in the afternoon plus live music. Not sure how much of that was expense or donated in exchange for promoting the local places, but I guess that also was a bit of planning that the shop had to do and really wasn't able to do anymore.

Hopefully I can find someplace. If not, I'll try my luck online with Bullmoose or someone else after RSD and get those two LPs.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  6. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I feel a lot of this could be avoided if the companies allowed returns still. If they don't want to take a hit, they could focus on actual limited and sought after records instead of stuff the indie stores get stuck with.

troggy likes this.
  7. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

If they buy good stuff, they can always put it on Discogs or Ebay

8. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

That's true... but I work at a place where that stuff does go on discogs and ebay. Frankly, a lot of it doesn't sell unless you put it up for cheap (sometimes below cost). Of course one can maybe be ahead if they put it up that weekend (or the day of) while there's uncertainty to how available an item is. I still think the companies should allow returns from indie stores on products that don't sell.

No Static and J_D__ like this.
  9. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Problem with focusing on the "good stuff" is that sometimes the good stuff turns out to be a damp squid on the day eg. Last years Bowie PROMO which is still gathering dust on the shelves of record stores all over the world......

10. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

JeffMo likes this.
  11. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Both LP's are also shown on Amazon UK with a release date of 15th June, so it looks like, as with last years RSD releases, both albums will get a regular release.

Defrance and JeffMo like this.
  12. Chris Treece

Chris Treece Forum Resident

Loads of the RSD stuff have real-world release dates set for the following month. Why don't they just up the quantities for RSD and have done with it?? It will soon eat itself.

DHamilton, lucan_g, plynthe and 3 others like this.
  13. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

I would much rather they just release it on RSD, period. No limited run on RSD to follow a month or so later with a wider release. RSD is supposed to celebrate the indie shops, which usually carry great used records (most of which were released in large numbers), that will sometimes get that rare gem that someone's been looking years for.

The "rare gems" that are being made for RSD are just that: manufactured scarcity and "collectibility". The more I think about it, I want the Berry and Diddley LPs coming up on RSD, but since I visited Chess Records in Chicago last summer, I might just seek out original, playable copies that were made and shipped out of that very building, because it carries more feeling with it.

14. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

"3-time GRAMMY-winner Robert Glasper joins forces with the innovative Montreal-based producer KAYTRANADA on Robert Glasper x KAYTRANADA: The ArtScience Remixes, an 8-track EP that reimagines the songs on Robert Glasper Experiment’s acclaimed 2016 album ArtScience, which The FADER called “a freewheeling, genre-agnostic collection of feel-good songs.” The ArtScience Remixes is available now to stream or download, and will be released physically as a Record Store Day vinyl exclusive on April 21. The set features cameos by Don Cheadle, Talib Kweli, Alex Isley, and Iman Omari, and takes the Experiment’s trailblazing blend of R&B, Hip-Hip, and Jazz into new sonic realms.

“KAYTANADA is super inventive and musically brave,” says Glasper. “He goes places with the music where most won’t go! Working with him is always so much fun and creatively inspiring.”

ArtScience found the Experiment getting down to its essence, with each of the band members—keyboardist Glasper, saxophonist and vocalist Casey Benjamin, bassist Derrick Hodge, and drummer Mark Colenburg—delivering the vocals and sharing in the production and songwriting on the album. “Robert Glasper has been the standard-bearer for jazz music’s fusion with hip-hop, soul, and rock,” wrote Pitchfork. “ArtScience is the Robert Glasper Experiment’s most realized effort…They’ve created their own vibe, one that needed their own voices to truly resonate.” "

ROBERT GLASPER X KAYTRANADA: THE ARTSCIENCE REMIXES EP | News

15. amoergosum

Why do CDs hardly get any love on Record Store Day?

Daryl M and johnnybrum like this.
  16. cwd

cwd Forum Resident Thread Starter

why do we park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?

17. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange?

18. amoergosum

I want a CD Store Day.

Daryl M likes this.
  19. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Easy. Go to your record store on Record Store Day and buy a CD that catches your fancy. Instant CD Store Day. (Please note that the question of what a record was has been raised here previously and that this particular discussion did not end well. Best not to start it again.)

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  20. amoergosum

I'm interested in the limited exlusive Record Store Day releases but I'm not interested in vinyl.

21. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Lucky you, you get to stay in bed then doncha?

22. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Post of the day.

23. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

A very large percentage of these "limited" releases are in print, in "unlimited" editions, on CD already. If collector items are what you're after, what difference does the format make ?

cwd likes this.
  24. cwd

cwd Forum Resident Thread Starter

Check the SOL list...

AZRunner likes this.
  25. amoergosum

What's that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.