Moscode 300

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gss, Oct 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wild bill

wild bill Active Member

Just joined after I saw the postings on the Moscode 300. I found one, unmodified, two years ago and have been using it ever since. Couple of observations:
    resistors R34,36,37, and 39 run very, very hot. I replaced them with 5-10 watt ratings and they still run very hot. Can't imagine the original resistors are still functional. Is George Kaye still around? He never responded to my emails one-two years ago. Whatever. The power switch is unreliable, replace it if you can. I used one from a retired Hafler 220, works fine.If anyone is thinking of upgrading any components, I had a hard time finding CS1, a CR300 current regulator (obsolete now), found them on Ebay. Also C15, the 330V 880 mic capacitor is hard to find, but George Kaye himself said somewhere in DIY Audio that one can "use anything that fits that's over 100 mic." The amp is a blast, powers my homemade Jazzman Mark 5 ESLs. Love it.

2. gss

gss Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum.

How is the hum on your unit? Did you replace the tubes?

3. gss

Hello, all! Still making sure the Moscode is for me, but haven't had much of a chance to play with it because I don't have a separate preamp, and don't want to drop too much coin unless I'm sure I'll like the Moscode.

Anyone have any opinions of using a Schiit Sys passive preamp in front of it? Seems like it might be all I need.

Thoughts?

4. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

There is no way for anybody else to tell you whether you will like it or not. Your ears and your tastes are your own. Many of us can opine about it, but no matter how many good reviews you read, it might not be a good match for either your system or your ears.

The good news though is that since it contains tubes, you aren't stuck with exactly one sound like you are with a 100% SS amp. You can roll tubes in to tailor the sound more to your own tastes.

And yes, its hard to go wrong with a passive preamp, unless you either need gain or you need to drive a cable which is longer than about a meter. Although I personally prefer the sound of having a good tube preamp in the chain over that of running a passive.

33na3rd likes this.
  5. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

$49 seems like a reasonable amount for an experiment. Plus you've 15 days to try it out.

6. gss

You know what? I think I'm overthinking this Moscode, and should probably unload it and get something that I really want (McIntosh).

Wow, I feel so much better now! :wiggle:

7. Years, well, decades ago, I had a Moscode 300 amp and Minuet preamp (both from NY Audio Labs) paired with my Bose 901's. Back then I was into records and just starting out with CD's. I switched to all solid state components and my turntable collected dust as I replaced my favorite albums with CDs, so I gave that equipment to a friend. I rolled the tubes once on the Moscode. I am moving back to tubes now, but not LPs. In fact my CD collection is packed away in boxes as I just use Tidal (via my Cambridge network player) now. My current setup is an Aric Audio Transcend preamp and my old Parasound HCA2200 amplifier. I have been reluctant to switch to tube amplification, because I fear a tube unit with enough oomph to drive my Maggies (1.7i's) would cost a fortune.

8. BSpaaudio

BSpaaudio New Member

So what did you end up doing with your Moscode? I just pciked one up that needs some work. Trying to decide if I want to keep it or not.

Thanks

9. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

The original designer, George Kaye, is currently residing in Vermont. I don't know if he's still working on these or not. Here's his most current contact info.

Moscode Contact Information

10. BSpaaudio

BSpaaudio New Member

Thanks. George is semi=retied and in MA

11. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Thank you for the update.

I wonder what semi-retired means in George’s case?

12. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I remember the Moscode from the Harvey Rosenberg days in New York. He was a disciple and promoter of Futterman, which was an elusive "grail" type amp. I seem to remember a retail store in Manhattan at one point in the '80s?

13. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Harvey Rosenberg used to write a column for Art Dudley's "Listener" magazine. What an entertaining read!

When George Kaye brought back the Moscode's, his first new amp was the Moscode 401HR. The "HR" was a nod to Harvey Rosenberg.

Bill Hart likes this.
  14. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I wonder if I'm tripping about the store; I seem to remember that Cello (Levinson) had a showroom too, back in the day. Harvey was a character- i didn't really know him, but he was legendary as a jokester and irreverent figure in the NY hi-fi scene back then.

33na3rd likes this.
  15. Harald

Harald New Member

In the mid eighties I've bought a Moscode 300 amp and combined with a NAD 1155 preamp and Martin-Logan The Sequel's the result was a great sound.
    I still do own the Moscode 300 amp but I don't use it anymore because in the year 2006 I've replaced this amp by a Moscode 401 HR amp.
    The combination NAD 1155 + Moscode 401 HR + Martin-Logan The Sequel's serves my ears very well.

33na3rd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.