Lost TV shows

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Apr 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pblmow

pblmow Forum Resident

Yea I found a web site that has hundreds of old TV shows by the decade. But it was after I posted here.

Hey, excuse me for making a mistake, if you are so upset, have the gorts delete my posts, I really don't care
    I was going to post the web page where I found the shows, now I'll just bow out. :wave:

2. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

Little Big Time was a children's TV series that was produced by Southern Television and aired for four seasons from 1968 to 1973. It starred Freddie Garrity of Freddie and the Dreamers and it was a mixture of music, sketches and variety acts. The most memorable part of the show was a segment called Oliver in the Overworld, which was a sort of Alice in Wonderland-style TV pantomime where Freddie finds himself in the land of machines. The whole series was wiped after it initially aired, and as far as I'm aware, all that currently exists of it are the last edition of Oliver in the Overworld, the accompanying cast album and a sales pitch (I don't know if it was sold overseas, but if it was then there's a chance the show may be out there somewhere):

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  3. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

The first one that comes to mind? The Tonight Show era hosted by Jack Lescoulie and Al "Jazzbo" Collins (on different nights). No footage, no photos, no ANYTHING. NBC chooses to ignore this era entirely, and pretend that the show went from Allen to Paar.

I'm also curious how much of the first Pittsburgh era of "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood" still exists, as no one seems to have seen any of it. (After moving back from Canada and before starting the PBS version, it was made for Pittsburgh's WTAE, including a *very* scaled down, low budget Neighborhood of Make Believe.) I do know that Fred's show "The Dancing Prince", a spinoff from "Children's Corner", is said to be lost forever.

4. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

spill the beans! :pineapple:

fr in sc likes this.
  5. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Someone mentioned that show just last week. I never watched it but it might have been on the ABC here in the afternoon in the early 70's

6. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

Tralfaz: The Tonight Show That Died

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Tonight: America After Dark episode I would most like to see: The only interview featuring all five Marx Brothers. Here they are in the dressing room:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Gummo Gallery: America After Dark

Reader, troggy, Ken K and 4 others like this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

8. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

1950s variety shows... not lost, but a combination of dubious demand and expensive music rights have effectively forever priced them out of the home video market.

Even if a lot of the material is (to be kind) a bit dated, like game shows, they're a valuable peek into the culture of that time...

- Kevin

9. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Morton LaBongo likes this.
  10. JozefK

I'm not sure what's most fascinating about this clip: the rare sighting of eden ahbez, the singing, the choice of material, the spirit of interracial harmony, the hats, or the homoerotic undertones of the back scratching.

11. JQW

JQW Forum Resident

Lift Off had nothing to do with the BBC - it was produced by Manchester based Granada for the ITV network.

goodiesguy likes this.
  12. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Paper Chase is on DVD.

Dirkwkirk likes this.
  13. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

There was a claymation short subject series in the 60s that was shown here in nyc on Channel 11 .
    The one I remember was with Duke Ellington playing the piano and the claymation characters were on top on his piano. Thats about all I remember.

ZippyPippy likes this.
  14. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

And exactly how **much** makeup do they have on Chico Marx in that group photo of the brothers....? Wow!

- Kevin

Morton LaBongo likes this.
  15. stereoguy

I wish there was a DVD of the existing episodes of The Doodles Weaver Show of the 1960s. It was all in pantomime.

16. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

17. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

Ace of Wands was a children's fantasy series produced by Thames Television that ran for three seasons from 1970 to 1972. However, only the third season remains due to the first two seasons being wiped entirely, and all that is currently known to exist of the missing first two seasons are some off-air audio recordings (again, I don't know if the show was ever sold overseas).

18. Michael

Steve Litos likes this.
  19. stereoguy

Mark!!! Holy moly...That was it!! Dude, I have not seen that in 50 years.....since sometime in the late 1960s.
    Thanks so much for finding that and posting it. I owe you one!

MarkTheShark likes this.
  20. stereoguy

I I remember correctly, Chico *was* ill with hardering of the arteries.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  21. JozefK

I believe Chico was in a play and these photos were taken in the theater dressing room. In one pic Groucho is holding up the play program.

22. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

Sure wish we could see episodes of "Upbeat" on DVD. "The Lloyd Thaxton Show" is another one that comes to mind. Well, at least there's YouTube.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    the pope ondine likes this.
  23. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

Never, ever heard of this before this morning. Thanks!

24. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

And Hee Haw is rerun on RFD-TV.

fr in sc likes this.
  25. Michael

your welcome...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.