Elvis Documentary 'The Searcher' Coming From HBO

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by artfromtex, Nov 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

It was called A Scientific Search For The Face Of Jesus.

artfromtex likes this.
  2. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Post of the year!

3. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

This two-part Elvis HBO Special has been previewed at the 2018 SXSW Festival in Austin, Texas and at Graceland. Judging by the early commentary from the handful of fans who have seen it already, it's going to be something special. Personally I can't wait...

Backstreets.com: 'Elvis Presley: The Seacher' premieres at SXSW

Kary Antholis: (President of HBO Miniseries and Cinemax Programming at HBO)
    :righton:

And this...

"Elvis the Searcher" - Roundtable hour

artfromtex and budwhite like this.
  4. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head Thread Starter

I have had high hopes for this project since it was first announced. For the first time, the approach and the stated goal of the project was something fresh. Which, when you consider the overwhelming amount of pre-existing examinations of Elvis Presley, is an amazing thing to be able to say. Finally, we get beyond the surface level, tabloid scope of almost all previous looks at Elvis' life. Finally, a look at Elvis the artist. Not just the hits, not just the music he released. What did he listen to? What did he sing at home? What were his motives? His dreams? How did he feel about his public perception?

I cannot wait!

5. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

A throwaway remark by an ex wife- well it could have been a lot worse!!

Peace and love✌

6. artfromtex

7. artfromtex

From the article:
    "Can it really be true that an Elvis Presley documentary as probing and thoughtful as Thom Zimny's Elvis Presley: The Searcher does not already exist? After decades of home video performance-film releases and docs of varying quality, this two-part, three and a half-hour film feels like a landmark, something that should be welcomed as warmly as the two Elvis books published in the 1990s by Peter Guralnick, Last Train to Memphis and Careless Love. Chipping away calcified layers of myth and caricature to address the psychology behind Presley's career"

8. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Looks interesting. That Parker guy doesn't sound like a nice dude, Elvis must've been a cash cow to this guy.

Larry Loves LPs likes this.
  9. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

10. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

11. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Is their a UK air date?

12. Richard--W

I have sent email requests but not lately.
    It presents a very positive view of the young Elvis.
    It's a serious drama, almost as intimate as a Broadway play. The recreation of the mid-1950s is atmospheric and totally convincing. It takes time to recreate the morals and attitudes of the 1950s, and in so doing shows us why Elvis was different from everybody else. The Sun recording sessions are recreated, and so is the building itself. The tenement in which the Presley's lived is also recreated. His parents are treated with honesty and tender loving care -- Millie Perkins and Billy Green Bush nail the roles completely. St. Gerard's understated performance goes deeper than any impersonator. He looks more like Elvis than any impersonator.

Priscilla co-produced in name only. She reported hated the program when she saw how positive and respectful it was of Elvis.

If you haven't seen it, you're really missing something.

Beaneydave likes this.
  13. Richard--W

905 likes this.
  14. Richard--W

episode 2 The Storm

905 likes this.
  15. Richard--W

[​IMG]

The program was a major event on TV in February-April 1990. Although short-lived (13 half-hour actually about 23 minutes each episodes) everyone expected the series to be renewed, but it didn't happen, and the story ended in mid-1955.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    artfromtex and 905 like this.
  16. artfromtex

17. artfromtex

18. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

I just got through watching this documentary on HBO-really enjoyed it! It comes in two parts, generally before the military and after military. Lots of interviews from Tom Petty to Emmy Lou Harris to D.J. Fontana to Cissy Houston to many other people in the music business. Both parts total about 3 1/2 hours.

I just got through checking on Amazon and "Elvis-The Searcher" is available on CD and LP, not dvd as of yet.

Very very good documentary-I recommend it!:righton:

19. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

Heartily agree. Wonderful. Beautiful. I'm still processing it...

At last Elvis gets a film that places his immense musical and cultural impact centre stage, that packs an emotional wallop. Tom Petty's contribution to the narrative was just outstanding and poignant in itself for obvious reasons.

It speaks to accusations of 'cultural appropriation' by placing Elvis firmly in the time and place he grew up in, in much the same way as the early chapters of Guralnick's 'Last Train To Memphis', driven home by Stax producer's David Porter's narrative of Elvis as an integrator and student of music of all kinds, especially gospel.

My only criticism is that it felt a little rushed at times. I would have like to have seen the story stretched out a little more in places, but fingers crossed there will be a director's cut and an interesting array of extras in the blu-ray release when it comes out.

Minor quibbles. Top marks HBO, Thom Zimney & co. It'll be hard to beat this one.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  20. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

I loved it, but as stated above, it did seemed rushed in areas. The fact of not mentioning his mom dying while in the army was strange. Also, more Memphis '69 music / discussion would have been nice. Other than that, very enjoyable!!

GillyT likes this.
  21. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Yes, I too enjoyed the HBO documentary immensely and agree with most of the comments above about the quality and the interviews. I really loved some of the unseen fan footage from the 70's concert in pretty amazing quality, some of which I have never seen before. Also great use of Elvis's own voice talking about his career, some too of which I am not sure if I have ever heard before. A real honest and balanced approach that put the emphasis on his music talent and versatility as a singer. I like the second part a lot and that is the one the part that I thought they might screw up. I do wish that James Burton would have been interviewed for the film as I think his contribution to Elvis's music in the last eight years is indispensable.

I loved both Bruce and Petty's thoughts. Wow, both very insightful with Bruce really sounding intelligent and spot on. I also think that Ernest Jorgensen well deserved his placement in the film as he is one of the key people to help guide Elvis's iconic recording catalogue back to a coherent scheme and getting people like Vic Anesini involved in the remastering process of his master tapes. I think that the only thing that is surprising is that it took this long after his death to get the definitive documentary of Elvis Presley the artist.

22. baconbadge

baconbadge Chooglin’

Yea, his mom dying was a huge turning point for him. The beginning of dark times for E.

Purple Jim and audiomixer like this.
  23. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

You must've nipped out. It was definitely mentioned. ;)

24. Jayson Wall

Jayson Wall Forum Resident

A phenomenal 202 minutes. Wow!!!!!

Carl80 and GillyT like this.
  25. Great Music Lover

Great Music Lover Well-Known Member

I have not seen it, but I have heard that the quality of some of the music footage especially the 68 TV Show is not very good and that there is nothing from any of the early TV shows. It sounds like it is a documentary about him as a person as opposed to just showing the entertainer side of things with lots of music clips. Some fans thought it was good and others not so good - with the absence of lots of "Elvis singing" footage, were the producers aiming more for the casual or non fan instead of the the fans that probably have every bit of musical footage available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.