Why are so many record stores still closing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by radickeyfan, Jul 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

I'd say if you read up on Ricardo's law of rent you would begin to understand why brick and mortar stores are struggling while corporate behemoths are thriving, and get an idea of how to fix the economy so that markets are actually freed to enable the little guy to sustain himself.

tspit74 and reverberationmusic like this.
  2. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Very unlikely Walgreen's Boots Alliance will ever open up another Duane Reade. Walgreen's seemed to suck them up because if they didn't CVS was gonna do it. Walgreen's currently has the massive headache they created by trying to absorb Rite Aid , lowering the 2015 bid and having to close 1200,not 800, Rite Aids to placate the government. Those few Duane Reades are just grains of sand on the beach of despair known as Walgreen's Boots Alliance.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  3. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I have found over the last 34 years that the timeless seven are:

The Beatles
    Rolling Stones
    Led Zeppelin
    Black Sabbath
    The Doors
    Pink Floyd
    King Crimson

DHamilton and broshfab4 like this.
  4. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

$5 coffees, $700 phones, the latest useless apps and streaming. What will people have in a decades time to show for all this? Nothing. In the meantime I still thoroughly enjoy my old Discman that still works and is used daily, and my physical media from decades ago. Now THAT was money well spent.

DHamilton, Duophonic, Fullbug and 6 others like this.
  5. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

Only 2 local record shops closed up n last 2 years

Since then more vinyl has popped up n pawn shops, used book stores, flea markets

Even super flea markets , trade shows, and old malls/warehouses/grocery stores have been retro-fitted n 2 flea market/malls that carry vinyl & open everyday . So not is all lost

reverberationmusic likes this.
  6. Scott Sheagren

Scott Sheagren I’m a Metal,Rock,Jazz Fusion,Gaga type of guy.

My opinion is since illegal copying and iTunes and streaming services are destroying music stores.everyone I know says you still by cds?.
    if I go into Barnes and noble and look at the vinyl they are way overpriced to me.no way would I spend 30 dollars for one album.also I know people who just listen to YouTube.most people don’t care about quality.

Matthew Tate and alexpop like this.
  7. Scott Sheagren

My cds ripped lossless through jriver using my dac sound better then my vinyl ever did.but again physical mediums are a dying breed.i have no music store to go to in my area

Galley likes this.
  8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Record stores are going the way of the dodo..if they can't get fresh titles ( used ) their just keeping their head above the water till the rent is increased then hasta la vista baby. Sad times for hands on consumers.

Matthew Tate and Scott Sheagren like this.
  9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

my 2 cents:

you can buy just about anything you want to buy now on line and have it delivered to your door. usually for a better price than a store would have to charger to make any money.

the used stores are also pricing themselves right out of business by offering pennies for trade-ins (both CD and vinyl) and then re-selling those same trade-ins for 5 - 10 times what they paid for them, and i get it, they have to do this to stay in business, but the customer is getting tired of the practice and consequently has quit going to the sores opting for the online experience instead.

is it worth it for me to bag up 10 CD's and drive to a store to be offered less than $1 a disc? and then seeing something i want and not having enough in trade to get it?

it is a mess, and it isn't going to change anytime soon.

10. alexpop

A record stores holy grail is if someone kicks the bucket and his family give RS owner the deceased individual's collection.

Matthew Tate and Scott Sheagren like this.
  11. Scott Sheagren

A record store about 45 minutes away is amazing called Gerosa Records in ct.and great prices!

Fullbug and alexpop like this.
  12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

This is what stops me from trying to sell my cds to local stores. Fair enough, they might not need some of the stuff I bring, but it doesn't stop it from being a hassle.

My latest strategy is to put cds in a box that I want to sell and when I get to a decent number, I was going to offer them up online locally as a job lot. Even if I don't make much money I can at least save myself the hassle of a trip.

I've also been toying with the idea of selling on ebay or discogs but only to Canada. A lot of my stuff are $5ish titles and if I stick with Canada only sales (due to postage costs) I should be able to net out with $1-2 per disc which is more than I would get locally for some of these.

Unfortunately it would leave out one of the biggest markets, the US, so there is a downside to that. But it might be worth trying. With the UPC I can set up my auctions pretty easily and if I stick with just a quick picture of the disc (or not at all), it'll save me time. Then again, I sometimes think, all this work for $1-2 when I could spend my day watching Quincy M.E. instead? Maybe I should just throw them away? lol

I do believe there is a market out there but accessing it can be difficult due to various factors.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    OptimisticGoat and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. alexpop

I would keep quite myself about a good record store:).. They must have a abundance of great titles!!!

Scott Sheagren and Michael Rose like this.
  14. alexpop

Buck a piece ?
    Lawn/garage sale.
    Get rid ( try to) other stuff while yer at it. Unless you've got some tasty item ..record stores aren't interested in CDs / DVDs ( even ).

15. Scott Sheagren

Oh they do and always getting peoples old records in everyday!
    Some records are a dollar and ones I’ve wanted in mint condition.

alexpop likes this.
  16. Scott Sheagren

But since my cds sound better now I haven’t been there in awhile.i miss my vpi scout though.

17. alexpop

Brookfield ct.
    Looks like a large inventory

BuckNaked and Scott Sheagren like this.
  18. Scott Sheagren

Oh yeah tons!
    Jazz rock metal country you name it!

alexpop likes this.
  19. Scott Sheagren

Even if you lived States away it’s worth a visit!

20. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

That’s why God created Amazon:cheers:

Scott Sheagren likes this.
  21. Scott Sheagren

Amazon rules!
    I buy a cd or 2 a week with prime!
    Getting one in today!

Duophonic and mikedifr0923 like this.
  22. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

This is huge.
    And good luck selling anything that isn't the timeless seven (or 8 if we include those 2 Fleetwood Mac records) for more than a buck (if even that).

Obscure and rare psych and krautrock is an easy lucrative sale but that stuff doesn't grow on trees and should not be built into the business model.

Record stores will be gone in a year or two. For every one new person who discovers records and shops at a store, 1000 people in the same location sign up for Amazon Prime and order with their Alexa.

Having owned a record store, there is soooooo much overlap in people's collections. Everyone and I do mean everyone, bought the same records. Everything that is not the timeless 8, bebop, obscure, or import is worthless. You may like Dream of the Blue Turtles, Asia, Allied Forces, Equinox, and Crisis What Crises. But they come in daily and never leave. Customers will pay $25 for Rumours over and over. But 95% of everything else is near worthless filler. It sure as shoot doesn't pay the rent.

B&M relies on people physically shopping. Not enough people physically shop anymore. I don't see that trend shifting in favor of record stores.

23. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

*shrug* And yet record stores keep opening and doing well here in Boston, where people still buy and sell LPs. We've lost one store in the last three or four years, and that was because the owner wanted to focus on her stand-up comedy career. She was still turning a profit when she shut down.

24. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Are they still in operation? I pass nearby occasionally.

Scott Sheagren likes this.
  25. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I think you'll find your going to be a tad off on your timeline estimate. :laugh:

Seriously though, don't you think that's kind of on over the top estimate? I'm sure some stores will close between now and April 15th 2020, but all gone? Not going to happen is it?

Not enough people physically shop anymore? Really?

I think you're letting your own experience cloud your better judgement here.

B&M stores are facing a tough reality and there will be some name brands that will fall eventually but the malls and shopping centres and the stores will be around for a very long time, at least in our lifetime IMO. They may be different to what we were used to but they will be there catering to new consumers.

troggy and Mazzy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.