Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

In my opinion, the definitive versions of Power Of Soul and Message To Love are the versions on the original Band Of Gypsys album. No studio version could ever have topped them.

smokeverbs, Lonson, EVOLVIST and 3 others like this.
  2. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Jimi probably thought along the same lines, that's partially why they were set aside. But they're an interesting alternate presentation of those songs that I'm glad we have.

Still want the full Power of Soul from the 2nd show on Jan 1, bad notes and all.

3. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Maybe both guitar parts on Pali Gap are overdubs. There's no way to know. Jimi could have easily played along to the original live guitar track, and used that for the main guitar part.

4. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Good news. I was out running errands and peeked into a music shop and found COL 2014. Just got home. I played a few minutes of RB and it is much quieter than the stuff from '97/'98. Is the '94 Blues CD superior to the '98 one? I'd imagine so. I'm scooping up Both Sides and WCSB (and the blu-ray of it) next. Thanks again.

Maidenpriest, SG47 and EVOLVIST like this.
  5. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

So what is the consensus so far about Both Sides Of The Sky? I read the last 5 or so pages here and there wasn't much discussion of the album...

How does it compare to other posthumous releases by Experience Janie?

6. 905

905 Senior Member

I'd rank the Janie trilogy as -
    Valleys of Neptune as the best, great album.
    People, Hell and Angels as second, good album.
    Both Sides of the Sky is ok, but it's third. I do like it, but prefer the other two.

7. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

I think it's better than People Hell & Angels myself. I would agree Valley of Neptunes was the best of the three.

lou, andrewskyDE and SG47 like this.
  8. They are meting out the really good stuff in drips and drabs.

BSotS has a must have mix (and mastering) of songs like "Power of Soul, "Cherokee Mist," and a very interesting version of "Stepping Stone," with Hendrix overdubs for some reason, which makes one wonder if Jimi thought this was the master at one time.

"The Things I Used to Do" is great to have it in this quality, but it's incomplete.

Otherwise, there are a few curiosities, and 2 or 3 head scratches.

Jose Jones likes this.
  9. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Thanks. I also consider South Saturn Delta part of the Experience Janie canon. And probably First Rays Rising Sun, although that has some credibility as a legitimate 4th studio album.

qtrules and 905 like this.
  10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Talking only about studio releases

The best in order (in terms of the music, not sound quality/mastering):
    Cry Of Love (rerelease)
    Rainbow Bridge (rerelease)
    First Rays
    South Saturn Delta
    Hear My Music
    Burning Desire
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience (purple box - partly live)
    West Coast Seattle Boy (partly live)
    Morning Symphony Ideas

followed by:
    Valleys Of Neptune/People Hell & Angels/Both Sides Of The Sky (all equally messed up).

11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I'd like to get these CDs, saw they're quite expensive nowadays though.

12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Experience Hendrix should make sure all the Daggers are readily available. :rolleyes:

Fox67, Maidenpriest, oneway23 and 2 others like this.
  13. John Harchar

Funny thing about SSD is if we get a reissue of War Heroes, about half of the album is rendered irrelevant. But I’d consider it a template of how they put together the later “trilogy” and use the tracks for a ‘box set’ playlist with the othe three albums

14. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

I don't see War Heroes being re released by EH.

However, they have now re released all of the pre Douglas material except War Heroes and Loose Ends (In The West was released in altered form imo for the better) so who knows. It would be cool to after all this time get a USA vinyl release of Loose Ends since that never happened in the past even when it was released the first time.

15. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

What I want is an official release of the complete material that comprises "Nine to the Universe." Come on. I want it mastered by Bernie and soon.

alchemy, Jimi Bat and Roberto899 like this.
  16. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I'd agree with that... if the album cover would just look much better.

17. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I'd like to see some official release of the Maui gig from 1970.
    Got a b**tleg version from somewhere and also designed an own sleeve for it (resembling the actual Rainbow Bridge LP cover but with another photo and stuff).
    The set is very nice, but in mono. The stereo mix of two tracks that I heard off the Purple Box was amazing! Hope EH (or Dagger) is gonna remix the whole one sometime.

Purple Jim and SG47 like this.
  18. John Harchar

It’s supposedly either up next or very soon.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  19. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Completely off topic (but it seems okay in this thread haha) Can imagine if Larry Graham & Jimi got together in the mid 70's? I would love to hear that that may have produced.

Maidenpriest, SG47 and Purple Jim like this.
  20. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Do not worry.
    Here we are talking about everything except that of BSOTS...

21. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I dunno, i loathe the overdubbed drums.

22. John Harchar

I never thought we’d see CoL and Rainbow Bridge again, but there they are. Why stop there? How tempting would a “Loose Ends-on vinyl for first time in US!” be (from a marketing stand point anyway)?

23. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Loose Ends:

2 BOG rehearsals (with poor source tspes used), A brief snippet from one of Jimis best jams in the studio(1/23/70), An ELL
    Outtake, A TTG track and the best of the bunch imo Come Down Hard On Me and drifters Escape neither of which have been rereleased with the Loose Ends mix and to top it all off was a new mix at the time of Stars That Play eith Laughing Sams Dice.

Couldnt have been a more apt title. Still I would like to see this released in USA on Vinyl. Make it a double LP and give us some more and please use better source tapes for the.BOG rehearsal material....

smokeverbs likes this.
  24. John Harchar

Is there a better tape for the Baggy’s sessions? I thought the one on the Dagger CD was about the best we’re going to get. I’d have been satisfied if they’d added side one and Electric Ladyland to a War Heroes reissue, but why not go all the way with a full reissue?

25. John Harchar

We’re only one and a half songs short. We need the 19 minute Message From Nine to the Universe and a full Easy Blues with Larry’s solos left in. Collecting and reissuing them in one place like the 1980 album? Not sure they’re there yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.