Rolling Stones Single-By-Single Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Parachute Woman, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Emotional Rescue extended outtake.

2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Thermo-Vision promo video of Emotional Rescue

Dodoz, stereoptic and superstar19 like this.
  3. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sorry to hear that watch alerts aren't working. I post the next single every morning between 8:00 AM and 10:00 AM EST, so every day will have a new single.

sekaer likes this.
  4. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

It's weird, I have 6-7 watched threads (currently 4 that are somewhat active lately)
    It seems like I only get one or maybe 2 alerts and then when I check my "watched thread" lists I always see I have missed others, happens all the time.

sekaer likes this.
  5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I think if you don't read the most recent post, the alerts turn off after a time.

forthlin, stewedandkeefed and sekaer like this.
  6. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I get the hate, Jagger's falsetto isn't for everyone, but I like this song a lot and the B-side as well. Was great to hear them play ER live in 2013, although the crowd was a bit confused by it lol! It still gets played sometimes on the radio stations up here too, which is funny. Bobby really digs in to the sax part, which is tasty. And I love the bit at the end where he trades licks with Ronnie, some great call-and-response again... just wonderful ensemble playing on both tracks really, very fine melodies and grooves

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Bobby Keys called it Jagger's "Micky Mouse voice". :biglaugh:

8. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Good thing he put his feelings aside and found something worthwhile to contribute. While I like Mel Collins' playing on "Miss You" & "Everything is Turning to Gold" they really only had one sax player who acted like he belonged in the Stones :love:

Good little video on how to busk your way through the chords on this song in Standard tuning. This guy's whole channel is great, he breaks down a lot of tricky guitar parts in the Stones catalogue:

Given there are so many minor chords I'd be VERY surprised if Stu had anything except vitriol for this song too...

9. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Most songs on the album were cut in the same studio with the same personnel as Some Girls in the second half of 1979, with Mick and Keith completing the mix and overdubs at Electric Lady in New York

A few (including the title track) were started earlier, at Chris Blackwell's Compass Point studio in the Bahamas circa January/February that year. I think it's actually Mick playing the piano on the basic recording of "Emotional Rescue", with Ronnie playing bass live off the floor. A pretty remarkable performance... not a lot of Keith in the mix though! The other four Stones arranged the song themselves

Lots of different edits for the song, there is the promo short single edit and the slightly different Forty Licks/GRRR! album edit, and a special edit on the cassette edition of Rewind which has the single's edits but fades out even earlier... this is the shortest officially released so probably the haters' preferred version! ;)

Since there was no tour for this album, a lot of the songs were never played onstage. It took twenty-three years for them to bust out the title track! But good things come to those who wait:

10. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I mentioned in my write up that some sources have Nicky Hopkins listed on electric piano on this.

superstar19 likes this.
  11. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Could be. There is also an acoustic piano in the mix, John, starting with the line "you're too deep in"... while it's possibly an overdub, I think Mick wrote the song from piano, so it's likely he played it on the basic track. Nicky was present at the Pathe Marconi sessions in '79 but I don't believe he went with them to Compass Point, so that leaves Mick as the likeliest contender for whichever of the keyboard tracks was live on the original take

...or maybe it's Stu except for during the minor chords! :laugh:

The MEZ likes this.
  12. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Some sources have multiple pianos on the track with Jagger and either Stewart and/or Hopkins.

aphexj likes this.
  13. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

That would make sense, they worked on the tracks for this album off and on for about eighteen months, and there are potentially lots of overdubs

Nicky Hopkins also played some synth on the other tracks from this period, including a track included as the B-side on the next single...

14. Malcolm Crowne

Malcolm Crowne Forum Habitue

All four sides of these last two singles are awesome in my opinion. I love Jagger-falsetto songs -- this is one committed singer people -- and two amazingly greasy and filthy sounding b-sides. Just perfect. Everything's Turning got on Sucking in the 70s I think, and for good reason. It is a great song. Down in the Hole is so hardcore! Not many rock bands are capable of being that nasty beyond their first couple years together. Most everyone mellows out. The Stones still had it in 'em at this point, big time. Of course by the end of the 70s pretty much everyone thought they were too old to rock n roll (being like in their mid 30s then!!!)

15. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

When I first heard "Emotional Rescue," it was brand-new. I wasn't sure who it was at first until Mick Jagger dropped into his normal range. I thought it might be a new single by Marvin Gaye or maybe even the Bee Gees (both were overdue in the summer of 1980) before that, and then I realized, "Ohhhh, that's the new Stones song!" Mick's falsetto seemed to work best for me in small doses, a la "Miss You" and a single we'll talk about in the coming days. And that spoken word section near the end is (unintentionally, I presume) hilarious.

The summer of 1980 was one of the worst of my life, though in retrospect, it's hard to believe the way one thing led to another that made it so miserable. Today, I would probably shake off all the nonsense that affected me so deeply. But that was then... My favorite song of those long, hot days was "Tired of Toein' the Line" by Rocky Burnette, which I still think is one of the best singles of the 1980s. I bought the 45 of "Emotional Rescue" before I went back to college that summer; I also bought the Emotional Rescue album. I wasn't in the right mood to listen, and I never got past the second song on Side One. I still haven't finished listening to it. I think I was expecting a song called "Summer Romance" to be a little more mellow than it was.

Once in a great while, "Emotional Rescue" will come on the radio today, and I'll still listen and enjoy it.

All three trade magazines had the song in the top 5; Billboard had it peaking at #3 for two weeks, Cash Box also gave it a #3 peak, but for four straight weeks, and in Record World, it fared slightly worse, with a #5 peak.

Stock 45s were pressed by Specialty and Monarch. Original copies have the catalog number RS 20001; "Oldies" reissues have the number RS 13227 as part of Atlantic's oldies series. The 45 was issued with a picture sleeve, which is common (1 on the 1-10 scale).

Promo 45s are stereo/stereo with the LP version on one side and a short version (4:18) on the other. In addition, a promo-only 12-inch single (PR 367) was issued with the same long and short versions on it. By 1980, most FM radio stations no longer wanted 45s, thus the start of the golden era of promo 12-inch singles. It only ended when enough radio stations had replaced turntables with CD players, thus the 12-inch promo was replaced by the promo CD single.

Oh yes. For the first time since Rolling Stones Records was founded, the group name THE ROLLING STONES was not at the top of the label in a simulated rubber stamp, as it had been since "Brown Sugar." Instead, it was in a custom typeface.

16. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Coming out amidst a lot of dross in 1980, I liked Emotional Rescue quite a bit. I can take or leave Mick's falsetto but I actually enjoy the spoken word part at the end so sue me. The song is a bit of a goof and way down on my list of great Stones tunes but it's really not as bad as some made it out to be at the time.

17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I didn't like "Emotional Rescue" when it came out. And, at that time, I had moved away from pop/rock music anyway.

18. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

"Shattered"
    A great tune about a city in its season in hell.

"Emotional Rescue"
    An icy disco song that was a little behind the times and Mick sounds like Prince.

Grant and Brian Kelly like this.
  19. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Great thread. So many picture sleeves I wish I had for my never ending picture sleeve project.

All Down The Line likes this.
  20. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I always enjoyed the song emotional rescue and to be honest i always thought it was a little tongue in cheek anyhow.
    I'm not a huge fan of the album though, it's ok.

sekaer likes this.
  21. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I like "Shattered " and "Emotional Rescue". They are both good sounding records to me.

No one stays at a peak of creativity forever though . At this stage of their career they are turning out good craftsmen-like singles IMO. Some surprisingly good, some pretty average.
    But none of them are particularly earth shaking , just good solid product .

They were an albums band for me at this point . There wasn't anything wildly interesting enough about their singles anymore that I had to buy the single before the album.

It's really tough to be a band that has been around as long as the Stones .

If they step too far out of their musical box some fans will complain about the Stones "forgetting what they are all about, they're chasing trends"etc., but there are only a finite number of Stones template riff based songs that can be released before it's "ho-hum, it's the Stones stuck in the same old rut again " :D

They can't win .

The MEZ, bonus and Parachute Woman like this.
  22. MCT1

MCT1 Forum Resident

When we were back in 1974, discussing "It's Only Rock 'N Roll", Tim mentioned that Rolling Stones Records 45 catalog numbers in the U.S. jumped from the 19100s to 19300s at that time, due to a list price increase:
    The 1974 price increase was prompted by the 1973-74 oil crisis. In 1979, there was another oil crisis afoot, and around the middle of that year, there was another list price increase for 45s, to $1.49. Atlantic once again skipped ahead in its 45 numbering sequences to mark the place in its release schedule where the price increase occurred. In the case of Rolling Stones Records, they jumped to 20000. Catalog number 20000 was assigned to a Peter Tosh single, then "Emotional Rescue" got 20001. By the time the Stones released their next single, there had already been another price increase, and another skip.
    To be more precise: Vinyl LPs of Emotional Rescue featured the phrases THE ROLLING STONES (on one line) and "EMOTIONAL RESCUE" (on another line, with quotation marks around it) at the top of their labels, written in the same typeface used for those phrases on the front cover of the album. 45s of "Emotional Rescue" had the exact same thing on their labels. On the 45, this served to identify the artist; the song title appeared separately below the center hole, as it historically had.

Different variations of this practice would be used for all of the singles from this and the Stones' next two albums. At various times, the custom typeface included just the band name, or the name of the album (as here), or the name of the song on that side of the 45. Here, where the album name was included, and was also the name of a song, this meant that the words "Emotional Rescue" appeared on the side of the record that didn't include the song of the same name, and appeared twice on the side that did. The first time I saw an "Emotional Rescue" 45, this momentarily confused me, until I figured out that the text at the top of the label was a logo referencing the album, and wasn't supposed to identify the song on that side of the 45.

aphexj and bonus like this.
  23. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

The exception was for the two singles from Still Life, which went back to the "rubber-stamp" band name.

aphexj likes this.
  24. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

"Shattered" is a top 10 Stones song for me. Love the energy, the recurring riff, Mick's rapid fire delivery of the lyrics, and the background vocals.

"Emotional Rescue" generally makes my lists of 10 least favorite Rolling Stones songs. I hate the falsetto. Sounds like a Prince reject.

25. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: The first time I heard "Emotional Rescue" I said to myself, "Holy Moly! He hasn't used that voice since "Jamming With Edward!"

pablo fanques and bonus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.