Too many turntables, too little time...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by KT88, Apr 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KT88

KT88 Senior Member Thread Starter

I have been collecting records for around 40 years now. I have about five thousand that I keep in reserve for play. I also run a record shop / hi-shop / guitar shop, and I have thousands more there to sell. I don't buy too many records anymore as I really don't have room to store or time to listen to them all, but sometimes, you know, I find this or that awesome record that just has to come home with me. They are like puppies, irresistible.

OK, so that brings me to my next "problem". I have too many freakin' turntables as well. Due to being a hi-fi nut, I always have at least one, usually two: one in play and one on the bench for some reason to satisfy my itch for better, newer, more vintage, different, whatever sound. Last night I tried out this sweet Rega RP8 with Ania cartridge. I spun some new record acquisitions, Howling Wolf, Link Wray, and some vintage LA punk / new wave stuff. That last one I have had for years and just spotted it in my collection while looking for something else to play. My wife commented that she hadn't heard that in years. She also liked the Link Wray best. I learned from the back of the Lp cover that Link was a VA resident for many years and played in bands along the waterfront in Norfolk VA. I am a VA boy, so that was a fun fact.

The Rega RP8 turntable and Ania cartridge combo are so smooth and natural sounding, that I was even more impressed than I had thought I would be. I mean, I listen to all sorts of new tables that I set-up for customers at my shop, but I rarely get to spend time at home with them to hear them at their best. It's one thing to listen in a gear crowded showroom and another to listen at home. It always sounds better at home and I have some old favorite records on hand. What really sticks in my mind about the sound of this RP8 /Ania is how honest and neutral the presentation was. I have heard many different combinations, and I mean many, of Rega decks and cartridges from lots of different makes. I typically use a Dynavector Low Output cartridge on my Rega tables, the last being an RP6. The DV carts can have a warmer or a more dynamic sound than many, and the best ones typically sport both. The Karat 17D3 for instance, is my main DV cartridge and I'd say that it compares that way to the Rega Ania. It probably tracks better, has more top end and bottom end extension, and more dynamics, all while remaining quite flat in response. It may lean just a bit to the warm side of neutral and it has a way of really digging out info and separating its parts in a way that is informative and revealing, yet never being too forward. The Ania by contrast didn't seem to really have me listening to every detail, rather it had some funky way of making the whole recording sound so natural and "correct" that I can't really find any fault with it. I didn't notice any mistracking on inner grooves, it had plenty of drive and precision, yet was perfectly relaxed where expected, and it made instruments sound as I imagine them to in person. The Link Wray record has a track where it was recorded in a stairwell to get an echo effect, and you really felt as if you were there, holding the damned microphone. So now, I really want this...

I had thought that my next purchase would be the new Rega Planar 6, but since the RP8 is here... arrr. I don't really have the budget for it, but it is very tempting. Now, I still have the DV Karat cartridge, an old, original Rega Planar 2 deck that I can mount an arm on, a newer one like an RB 250 or an RB301, both of which I have new in box for a project. I also have another deck that needs an arm, for which I have already made an armboard that will hold a Rega tonearm. It's a PL-550x, a heavy, direct drive unit that has a heavier platter than the Technics SL-1200. ...And I have a Technics SL-1200 which I could press into service. I also just got in on trade a new model, beautiful, Rega Planar 3 in white (You know they sound better than the black ones, according to its former owner, right? ;) ). I also have a really freakin' majestic looking Pioneer PL-71, which I have restored and have been spinning discs on for a few weeks. Nothing really wrong with any of these options, and while I feel fortunate to have options, I feel a bit conflicted as to wasting any of them as "bench warmers" for whatever I choose as the first string player this week. It's like trying to decide between three wonderful women, a Blonde, a Brunette, and a Redhead. Now, that would be another difficult situation. Hmmm... I suppose that I should have a beer tonight, spin a few more records, and think about it.
    -Bill

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  2. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Told you that Ania was sweet.

bluesaddict likes this.
  3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I have gotten away from the notion of collecting gear, although quite a few nice vintage pieces have been in and out of here over the past decade or so. If I can enjoy and become familiar with something for a while, and then move it along at a fair price to make space for something else to come in, then I am satisfied.

Just last week I sold through the classifieds my restored Thorens TD-124 with the plinth that I spend weeks planning and building. I thought I would never sell it, but priorities change and I'm comfortable with my decision. I'm now enjoying the turntable that's taken its place, and I am grateful for the time that I spent playing with a TD-124.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. KT88

It's like crack...

-Bill

SandAndGlass and Mazzy like this.
  5. KT88

I have the same, temporary, attachment to my stuff. I also roll a lot of gear, or at least I did when I was newer at it, and enjoy all of it. I keep stuff in situ longer now, with the turntable being my latest object of obsession. I feel you, as they say; it's better to have loved a component and let it go than to have never loved a component at all. Sniff...
    -Bill

thrivingonariff and action pact like this.
  6. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

Love my P6/Ania TT. Huge improvement over my RP3/Exact TT. :agree:

7. I got a demo RP 8 two weeks ago I had an upgraded RP 6 for the past three years. I loved that table and wasn’t looking to upgrade but it just came along at a sweet price.

Loving it so far and a definite upgrade. So far I have an Exact on it but going to get the Ania cart and Aria phono stage in a week or so. My local hi fi guy is coming over my house to set me up.

It’s amazing how a different table can make you enjoy and be excited about your record collection all over again. I’m playing Records at least three hours everyday. Pulling things out that I haven’t played in years.

My collection is also 5000-6000 strong; 54 years of buying. Having a great table changes things. The RP 6 opened my eyes and ears again. Now the 8 is too.

8. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Thanks for the Karat rundown - I've had my eyes trained on it for a while.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. baconbadge

baconbadge Chooglin’

What Link was it? The Norton comps? Never heard original Link LP pressings... one of those "holy grail" acquisitions for me.

10. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Bring your wife down to the shop and play her favorite music on that RP8/Ania combo. Show her how great it is, and don't be above begging. :D

11. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

definitely a first world problem ! 5000 albums!!!!! I am not worthy!

Benzion and punkmusick like this.
  12. KT88

Link Wray - Early Recordings
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    -Bill

action pact likes this.
  13. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I recently auditioned a Rega RP8 and it's indeed a very good sounding turntable. Maybe it's the sweetspot in Regas current model program?

Mazzy likes this.
  14. KT88

It is at home. She is actually wondering why I don't just bring home more great gear, and is cool with it. I think she is mistakenly under the impression that I have money or something... I still have the demo RP8 at the shop. This deck was traded in by a good customer who is now the proud owner of an RP10.
    -Bill

SandAndGlass, punkmusick and Mazzy like this.
  15. KT88

It's awesome, but considering how much more affordable the Planar 6 is, I think that's really the best value. If you just want an awesome deck and can afford whatever you want, the RP10 has many things going for it that make a compelling argument for itself.
    -Bill

Mazzy likes this.
  16. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

My Rega favourite is still the P9- haven't had the chance to listen to the RP10 yet...

17. baconbadge

baconbadge Chooglin’

Killer. What's the dead wax on that? I've got the earlier Chiswick version. Always wondered if they re-cut it when they became Ace?

18. I’m looking forward to hearing the 8 with the Ania and Aria next week. But the superficial aesthetic side of me really loves the look of the stainless arm and white platter on the RP10 :tiphat:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The RP-10 seriously impressed me, it would even give our Michells a run for their money, I'd really like to play with one at home.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    GyroSE likes this.
  20. VinylHI

VinylHI Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I don't think you can have too many turntables Bill ! Here's my mint Pioneer PL-61 with a Rega RB202 arm. It sits next to my Clearaudio Concept.

21. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

I just turned a bright green with envy.

22. KT88

The RP10 spanks it. The RP8 is even a bit better than the P9, as nice as those were, especially with the RB1000.
    -Bill

GyroSE likes this.
  23. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

So far this year I've sold off my Michell Gyro SE and my JVC direct drive and a Pioneer PL-12D, two arms and a phono stage, that is very good, but in the same period I've bought two phono stages and a Garrard 401, so slightly fewer decks, but more and better phono stages, it's all good.:sigh:

Dan Steele likes this.
  24. KT88

He had to return to the shop to deliver the owner's manual for the RP8, which he must have had in a file or something, and I asked him how he liked the RP10. I got a three word response. "I love it.". I then responded with "I'm jealous.".
    -Bill

SandAndGlass and Mazzy like this.
  25. KT88

You're a sick man, Dubmart.
    -Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.