Han Solo Anthology Film - "Solo: A Star Wars Story"*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Nov 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

For me, Harrison Ford is Han Solo...and that's it, really.

There's been six James Bonds, at least five Batmans, a couple of Supermans, and a fair amount of Spidermans...and I didn't care, probably because they'd already been in comic books, novels, TV, etc. Han Solo's different - Harrison Ford created this role, and SOLO will be partially judged on how close Alden Ehrenreich can come to being Harrison Ford. It's one thing to come in an assume a role like James Bond or Batman, where an actor has to be a good Bond or a good Batman but to have to be a good Harrison Ford as Han Solo? That's a tough gig...

And does anyone really need a Han Solo prequel? Apart from pissing off Jabba The Hut, winning the Millennium Falcon from Lando, and record time doing the Kessel Run, what more does anyone need to know about him? I always preferred that Han came into the story as guy with a shady past, no questions asked. He fell into the Rebellion by accident and stuck around for as long as he did because Han cared for Luke and loved Leia (and how do you NOT love a Princess who rocks a slave girl outfit, brings the sass, and strangles a vile gangster with a chain?)

It's tough to watch Star Wars be watered down into various continuing sequels, prequels, and ancillary adventures. I also didn't like The Last Jedi, so quality control is an issue from as far as I can see. SOLO is the second stand alone Star Wars "story" needing reshoots and redirection in mid-production, so there's clearly some creative confusion going on within Lucasfilm/Disney. My guess is too many Disney suits now have seats at the creative table, whereas before it was George Lucas and only George Lucas calling the shots. You can say what you like about the prequels, but you could at least say it to one guy - George.

So no, I don't have high hopes for SOLO. I'm open to being surprised, but if I'm walking out and thinking "It was OK, but that guy's no Harrison Ford" I won't come back for seconds. I'll stay home and watch Old Man Ford work his scruffy-looking, nerf-herding mojo in The Force Awakens...

2. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Already been done.

3. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

What about the father's brother's nephew's cousin?"

sunspot42, daglesj and chrischerm like this.
  4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

I mean, that's what they said about Connery when Roger Moore took over, so....

That said, I don't think we need THAT many Solo stories either.

5. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident Thread Starter

Love that book! We actually get a sense of tragedy about the destruction of the Death Star from the point of view of a major character. It's a unique take on the saga.

Jim B. likes this.
  6. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Sorry, not buying this guy as Han Solo at all. Good choice for Lando, but if you can't nail the main character, you're starting day one with a fairly substantial issue.

And gee what are the odds the story takes a back seat to computer generated violence? I'm guessing those are pretty good odds. But then again I'm not the target audience for this kind of stuff. Obviously. But you guys enjoy your cg explosions I guess.

sunspot42 likes this.
  7. the Han Solo trailer looks incredible. These are the movies they should have done (Solo, Obi Wan, etc) instead of the prequels and what was put out recently.

Incidentally the trailer I saw for Obi Wan looked identical to Ewan's Last Days in the Desert movie. LOL

8. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

There's, uh, a reason for that :p

9. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

This is how I know this movie is meant for me.

Jvalvano, delmonaco and ianuaditis like this.
  10. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Same here. Just realized that I'm an idiot...:)

Michael Rose likes this.
  11. Michael Rose

If you did not clap along to the Lucasfilm logo, you are not a true Star Wars fan. :wantsome:

turnersmemo, Jvalvano and delmonaco like this.
  12. Glaeken

Glaeken Forum Resident

Why do we need this film, exactly? This reeks of Disney doing what it does best - milk a franchise to death.

What's next? A Greedo trilogy? A standalone film about Jabba's house band?

13. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I would think a project centering on Wedge Antilles is inevitable.

He was in Episodes IV through VI, had lines in each, and blew up the 2nd Deathstar. Yet mention his name and you get blank stares (full disclosure: we named our cat, Wedge).

Imagine the possibilities.

14. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Why? Why do you people always jump to "oh another film about a main character? obviously within the decade we'll have another 10 films and be out of ideas so it's secondary character time"? Every single time?

Don't you like MORE of a thing you like??

15. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Within reason. But more for the sake of MORE is a bit....redundant. Rogue One wasn't a film that needed to be made, and neither is this Han Solo flick. We know where the characters are going to go - we don't need to know where they came from. Plus, we already know who has to come out of the movie alive......

So where's the jeopardy?

16. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

No movie "needs" to be made. Not even the original Star Wars. And btw, did anyone really expect Luke, Leia, Han or the rest of the rebels to be killed by the empire back then? I didn't, but I still had the time of my young life.

Jim B. and Encuentro like this.
  17. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Star Wars fans are a different breed. After seeing The Last Jedi this week, I watched some Youtube videos of people rightfully (in my opinion) crapping all over it. And I start to hear things like, "After my 6th viewing, it still sucks." Yeah well, no **** Sherlock. You know what I don't do after seeing a movie I hate? Watch it 5 more times.

18. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

best post in this thread.

Michael Rose and BeatleJWOL like this.
  19. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

harrelson ruins it

Laservampire likes this.
  20. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

It's the journey, not the destination.

21. Michael Rose

Some folks like to "Hate Watch" shows/movies for many reasons. I am not among those ppl.

Lownote30 likes this.
  22. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

For you, perhaps. For me, I'm equally (if not more) invested in how a film ends....

If I already know what has to happen to the characters? Like I said - no jeopardy.

But to each their own. I wouldn't stop any one from going to see it - personally, I'll wait till it lands on Prime or Netflix :)

23. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

That's usually when I boo and hiss....or at the very least yell out "Dagobah System!!!" drunkenly.

Michael Rose likes this.
  24. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

If they want "IG-88: Intergalactic Droid of Mystery" my script is ready to go!

25. Glaeken

Glaeken Forum Resident

I can name a ton of films I hated on first watch, only to revisit later (sometimes years later), perhaps multiple viewings before I found things to appreciate. In a couple of cases I completely reversed my opinion of the film.

The Last Jedi was, of course, not one of these :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.