6 Degrees Collection John Travolta including official pressed DVD of The Boy In The Plastic Bubble

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BradOlson, Apr 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

With this collection, it looks like the authorized remastering of the Boy In The Plastic Bubble which Sony did release as a DVD-R under their Choice Collection series of DVD-Rs in response to the Warner Archive DVD-R series is getting an official pressed DVD release:

Mill Creek Entertainment: 6 Degrees Collection, The - John Travolta

2. BradOlson

The public domain releases of the film including the previous Mill Creek releases are all technically bootlegs as the movie is still under copyright.

3. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thanks Brad for that news. I haven't watched TBIPB or seen a video of it in ages.

4. BradOlson

The public domain copies that circulate and air on low budget TV stations are poor quality with the good stuff being what is coming out on Mill Creek.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    longdist01 likes this.
  5. BradOlson

In fact, the movie is copyrighted and the public domain copies are technically bootlegs.

6. BradOlson

7. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I thought it was a requirement that Mill Creek must always use scratchy 16mm copy prints? :) Is this MC version authorized?

8. BradOlson

Yes, this Mill Creek version is licensed from Sony.

9. BradOlson

A shame this has had an unenforced copyright until recently. One of the best TV movies ever made.

10. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Interesting... there was a budget DVD of it floating around here in Austria some years ago, it didn't look like an official release tbh. Wonder if I should import that one, the plot tempts me to do so...:angel:

11. BradOlson

It is very good for a made for TV movie and one of the few TV movies with a huge cult following.

longdist01 and LeBon Bush like this.
  12. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Yeah, I've read that it's still got many fans and the reviews are all very positive - come thinking, I should definitely check this out.

longdist01 likes this.
  13. BradOlson

All of the movies in this set:
    Boy in the Plastic Bubble (1976) – starring John Travolta, Glynnis O’Connor and Robert Reed
    The girl next door makes a teen born with immune deficiencies want to leave his germ-free bubble.

Perfect (1985) – starring John Travolta, Jamie Lee Curtis and Marilu Henner
    A female aerobics instructor meets a male reporter doing a story on health clubs, but it isn't love at first sight.

Look Who's Talking Now (1993) – starring John Travolta, Kirstie Alley, Danny DeVito and Diane Keaton
    The third film in the Look Who’s Talking franchise goes to the dogs in this hilarious family film!

Basic (2003) – starring John Travolta, Samuel L. Jackson, Connie Nielsen and Tim Daly
    A DEA agent investigates the disappearance of a legendary Army ranger drill sergeant and several of his cadets during a training exercise gone severely awry.

Love Song for Bobby Long (2004) – starring John Travolta, Scarlett Johansson, Gabriel Macht
    A headstrong young woman returns to New Orleans after the death of her estranged mother.

Lonely Hearts (2006) – starring John Travolta, Salma Hayek, James Gandolfini, Jared Leto and Laura Dern
    Based on the true story, two homicide detectives track Martha Beck and Raymond Martinez Fernandez, a murderous pair known as the "Lonely Hearts Killers" who lured their victims through the personals.

14. BradOlson

It turns out this set would be mainly worth getting for the remastered Boy In The Plastic Bubble

15. BradOlson

16. BradOlson

That DVD is one of the "public domain" bootlegs of the movie.

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Lonely Hearts was a good movie.

18. Michael

Thanks Bradley...a BDset would have been nice!

19. BradOlson

20. Michael

21. BradOlson

BTW, The Boy In The Plastic Bubble was made on 35mm Kodak film so it could be made into a Blu-Ray worth buying from the Sony prints.

22. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Yeah, that's what I thought...

23. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

rifftrax fans know it well

24. BradOlson

I had some official confirmation from Mill Creek about the Boy In The Plastic Bubble in the new DVD set:

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for contacting Mill Creek Entertainment with your product
    inquiry. The master utilized in the previous SONY release is the same master
    they provided to us for use in creating this upcoming DVD set.

Sincerely,

LYLE GOFF
    CUSTOMER SERVICE MANAGER

MILL CREEK ENTERTAINMENT

In other words, I am right that the Boy In The Plastic Bubble in this new DVD set IS what Sony released on their DVD-R. If you buy the Blu-Ray, get the DVD-R of Boy In The Plastic Bubble and the DVD of Look Who's Talking Now as the Look Who's Talking series is NOT on Blu-Ray.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.