Dire Straits HOF

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rawkdude, Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abescan

abescan Forum Resident

I was there and could not believe that nobody inducted the band .....they inducted themselves. Also none of the bands music was played after the 3 members accepted their awards and walked off the stage- by them or any other artists.....even deceased artist have 2 or 3 songs performed by others........STRANGE!

2. Let’s take a break and hear a word from one of our sponsors. . . :whistle:

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Fans who voted for what ? The votes are cast by Induction Process . As far as buying concert tickets and albums, you got your show, and you've got your albums. You got what you paid for.

4. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

I wish the RRHoF would just go away....

5. Strange and sad.

sunking101 and OptimisticGoat like this.
  6. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

It's like the HOF told them the F themselves after they picked them, then knopfler bails.

7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I've bought Dire Straits concert tickets and have bought every Dire Straits album in many different formats as well. So just because a fan did all of that they have the right to expect (demand) that MK be at the RRHOF induction? Once again I'm amazed that so many feel that MK owes his fans anything. With that I feel MK doesn't owe us all a better explanation than just "I just can't get my head around this"?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  8. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I am not much of a Dire Straits fan (never really checked them out, so I really only know their "hits"), but they deserved better than that.

That said, I totally respect Knopfler's right to not show up or be involved at all if he isn't feeling it.

Bill Mac likes this.
  9. Not every, at least not yet. We both still have a few to go. . . MoFi SACD’s. :agree:

OptimisticGoat and Bill Mac like this.
  10. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Knopfler is the big fish and holds all the power. The rest of that band essentially became pub band players as soon as Knopfler quit Dire Straits so for them this R'n'R Hall Of Fame induction would have been a very big thing indeed. Knopfler could have made everyone happy, the band and the fans, just by turning up but instead he ruined everyone's evening.

Not many people swerve their R'n'R Hall Of Fame induction and as Knopfler is on ok terms (*or was!) with most of the band except his brother it just made no sense for him to give it a wide berth. He has gone down in my estimation and yes, I do think that he owed it to his band mates and fans.

Imagine70, mickdoby, Fred68 and 4 others like this.
  11. I agree with you wholeheartedly. In my eyes this was as bad if not worse than CCR. At least they all showed.

12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have every Dire Straits album that's for sure :). But not the unreleased MOFI SACDs (on preorder from Music Direct) that were announced quite awhile ago. I do have the Brothers In Arms MOFI SACD though :righton:.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  13. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I find it hard to reconcile your two sentences but I agree that MK owes us all a better explanation than just "I just can't get my head around this". That is really what I was saying originally. Without getting into too much detail, MK owes his band mates and fans at least that better explanation. I also see it as sad that people are talking about the celebration of the band as a let down.

LittlePearl and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  14. As do I, times three on SACD. 20th anniversary, SHM-SACD & MoFi. Dear lord, do I wish music direct would hurry up with the rest!

Bill Mac and OptimisticGoat like this.
  15. Originally David Knopfler (who has had a very good if overlooked solo career) was going to attend. The Hall offered to pay for him to fly to the U.S. for their induction and then bailed claiming that it wasn't affordable.

John Fogerty showed up for CCR's induction and he can't stand the other two surviving members of the band. It's not the first time that band members with conflicts have shown up before. I'm not sure why Mark didn't show up (it's not the first time a band member hasn't shown up for one reason or another for example Paul McCartney not showing when The Beatles were inducted, Axel Rose, etc.) but he didn't really owe it to anyone honestly IMHO.

It was pretty shabby that the Hall didn't play any songs by the band or have someone to introduce them. They basically told the band to go f themselves when neither one of the Knopfler brothers weren't going to show up.

The band deserved better even if the Knopfler brothers chose not to show.

16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I just edited my post that you quoted. Let's just agree to disagree on this as we have totally different viewpoints on this discussion. It's all good though :).

17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have those three SACD versions of Brothers In Arms as well as the DualDisc which is my preferred 5.1 version. I also wish MOFI would hurry up and release the other four SACDs. I'm hoping for 5.1 mixes of the first four albums especially Love Over Gold :agree:. It'll probably never happen but MK owes us at least that :D.

18. OptimisticGoat

And I thought you had seen the light ...:):cool: All good. [I just won't invite you for dinner...]:cool:

O hang on! Now he does owe us something does he? (TBH I suspect he has not too much influence on MOFI). :D

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Shvartze Shabbos and Bill Mac like this.
  19. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

I am not sure the HOF is really to blame here.

Say It Right and Daryl M like this.
  20. Do David and Mark get along? The first DS album belongs in the Library of Congress. IMHO it’s one of, if not the greatest debut album ever recorded. Maybe only second to Black Sabbath’s debut album.

BluesOvertookMe and wayneklein like this.
  21. OptimisticGoat

The Knopflers do not get on at all as I understand it .... nearly 40 years later.

22. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

They don't speak and have been completely estranged for decades from what I remember reading.

23. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

Mark must hate his former group a lot ! they could have been making millions these last ten years and its starting to remind me of the Kinks !

24. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

Any Straits fans know what the deal is between the members? It couldn't be worse than what Lindsey did....

25. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

I don't think he hates them. The last tour was brutal and he was over it. He had accomplished all he wanted as Dire Straits. He follows his own artistic interests.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.