Best pre-amp for Quicksilver V4 mono's (newest KT150 version)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rich121, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rich121

rich121 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just purchased a pair of Quicksilver V4 mono tube amps, the newest KT150 version. Will be arriving this coming Wednesday.

V4 Mono Amplifier – Quicksilver Audio

Single ended
    Input impedance is 100 K ohms
    Input sensitivity is 1.5 volts

Now need to purchase a nice preamp. Would like to get the most 'bang for buck' by getting a very nice condition used pre-amp.

On my radar so far is:

EAR 868
    Audible Illusions M3b or L3a
    Herron VTSP-360

I have had 2 different AI M3a pre-amps in the past, so I am very familiar with Audible Illusions 'sound'... not sure what is the differences between the AI M3b and AI L3a, besides the M3b having phono stage options and the L3a remote controlled volume?

No experience with Herron or EAR, but from what I have read EAR, if compatible, may be the best performing?

Suggestions greatly appreciated.

Also would like to hear from other V4 owners.

Rick

2. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

I have the V4s with KT120 tubes with the AI M3A from 1999 sounds good to me with a sort of long cable run of 21 feet between the two> keeping the source components away from the amps and speakers. My V4s are from 2011.

sean

3. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

The AI M3A sounded great with QS amps. I heard that combo many times. Audio Research is another good choice. I had an SP16 and Silver 60s together in my system for several years.

4. rich121

Thanks for the suggestions... I went for a new company, 'Zesto' and ordered their 'Leto 1.5' preamp and their "Andros 1.2" phono preamp, looking forward to their arrival.

5. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

Rich,

I noticed your Profile page says you have a VAC preamp with phono. I would have guessed the VAC would be a great match with the new QS amp. Do you still have the VAC? If not, what led you to make a change?

hi_watt likes this.
  6. rich121

About 10 years ago I had some health issues and couldn't work until recently.
    I had to sell much of my audio system to fulfill my responsibilities to my Family...

Last week I ended up ordering a Zesto Leto 1.5 preamp and matching Andros 1.2 phono stage. Got a very good deal on these, both only a few months old demos, with full factory warranty.

Anxiously awaiting their arrival :)

7. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

Rich, how did the pairing with your Quicksilvers turn out? I just picked up a pair and I’m thinking about a preamp change.

8. rich121

The system is only sat up temporarily, still waiting to be put in a finished room... the Zesto Leto 1.5 works great... very nice sounding system even with lesser speakers that I'm using until I can set up my regular speakers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.