Rolling Stones Single-By-Single Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Parachute Woman, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

I really hate Shattered quite a lot.

2. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Fifteen years later, seeing how they airbrushed Bill Wyman out of that picture still pisses me off!:realmad:

"Shattered" I can take or leave- I admit I like it more as the opening track on Sucking In The Seventies than as the closing track on Some Girls, if that makes any sense.

"Everything Is Turning To Gold", on the other hand, is not only one of my favourite Stones songs period, but IMO it's their best non-album B side. Should have been on Some Girls in place of, say, "Lies".
    Say what you will about "Emotional Rescue"...for my money, Ron Wood's bass part makes the song and is IMO his single greatest contribution to a Stones song. Jagger's falsetto and spoken word pretensions are pretty ridiculous, though:laugh:

"Down In The Hole" is one of the finest examples of the Richards/Wood guitar "weave" I can think of. Ron on the left, Keith on the right- listen to how they play off of one another...beautiful!

I think it's Jagger on electric piano, Nicky on regular piano. I'm not sure if Keith plays on "Emotional Rescue" at all; as I recall he wasn't a big fan of the song to begin with.

I may yet do an Emotional Rescue song-by-song thread some day, so don't say I didn't warn y'all!:p

sekaer and Parachute Woman like this.
  3. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Better than Child of the Moon?

I think you meant in place of Far Away Eyes. :D

4. ohnothimagen

Yep, better than "Child Of The Moon". Or "Sad Day". Or "Long Long While", or "Who's Driving You Plane?" even...I love "Everything Is Turning to Gold"!:D

And, nope, I'd still swap out "Lies" or "Imagination" for "Turning To Gold". "Far Away Eyes" can stay, sorry, John:laugh:

Parachute Woman likes this.
  5. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

The chap who wrote the cd sized guide to the Stones also describes Emotional Rescue as the worst Stones single (in my opinion there are probably many others post 1990). I am not sure and actually play the album a fair bit all things considered. The Stones enter an awful decade prior to the whole post 199os nostalgia tour period. In all honesty (with the exception of Dylan, Van, Lou Reed) I gave up on following the old 60s acts from this point on. I stayed for Tattoo You with the Stones and that is it really.

Fox67 likes this.
  6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Emotional Rescue - A song that I have never liked. A very good pop song though.
    Down In The Hole - Brilliant. My favourite track from the album.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I actually have all of the Stones releases and I can enjoy some of it past Tattoo You. The better releases after Tattoo You in my opinion are Voodoo Lounge, Stripped (part live and part studio) and Blue And Lonesome.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  8. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks, I have vinyl versions and cds of all the albums but post Tattoo I only ever really play the Stripped stuff which of course has loads of old songs being performed. I would agree that Voodoo Lounge is the strongest post Tattoo album. I have an old Dirty Work cd in the car but even at one track at a time (on the way to coffee and back) it is a hard listen for me.

pablo fanques likes this.
  9. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

like the song Emotional Rescue but the album gets a big WTF from me, a couple good songs but what's up here? To me it's boring as hell. Sorry to those who love it, but it was a step down (cliff size) from Some Girls. Of course they rebound on the outtake laden Tattoo You, which has songs often better than the songs on the albums they were left off of:)

Fox67 likes this.
  10. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

aphexj and superstar19 like this.
  11. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Next:

She's So Cold (1980)

[​IMG]
    Released: 9/19/80
    B-Side: Send It to Me
    Charts: #26 (US); #33 (UK)

"She's So Cold" is a song recorded by the Rolling Stones, released in September 1980 on the Emotional Rescue album. It was also issued as the second single from the album, with "Send It to Me" as the B-side. Due to the song's lyric "she's so goddamned cold", the promotional copy sent to radio stations had a "cleaned up version" on one side[1], with the "God damn version" on the other.[2]

The single peaked at number 33 in the UK Singles Chart and number 26 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart in November 1980. [3]Along with the tracks, "Dance" and "Emotional Rescue", "She's So Cold" went to number nine on the Disco Top 100 chart.[4]

12. ohnothimagen

"She's So Cold" is okay, I suppose...IMO "Let Me Go" would have been a better choice for second single. "Send It To Me" seems more like a jam than a song, I suspect Jagger was ad libbing the whole thing:laugh:

13. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is an instance where I like the B-side more than the A-side. "She's So Cold" is fun, catchy, very lightweight. I always enjoy it when it comes on but it's kind of in one ear and out the other. It sounds kind of like a New Wave version of rockabilly to me.

"Send It to Me," however, I really enjoy. I like that one a lot. One of the band's best reggae things, I think. I love the opening guitar lick, I love the "I'm begging you, begging you" chorus and Mick having fun just listing countries at the end. It's complete fluff, but it is so much fun and brilliant in the summertime.

This single means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. It's just fun.

14. ohnothimagen

To give Charlie Watts his due, by the time the Stones recorded "Send It To Me" he had a better grasp of reggae rhythms than he did on, say, "Cherry Oh Baby":laugh:

15. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

"She's So Cold" is my favourite thing on Emotional Rescue, my least favourite of the Wyman-era studio albums. Sure it's slight but I just like the guitars on it plus I think Mick's vocal delivery is pretty good on an album where I really have an issue with some of Mick's vocals.
    "Send It To Me" is another slight song but it is tuneful - I too like the "begging you, begging you" part followed by the repetition of the title.
    The singles contain three of the four songs I find tolerable on Emotional Rescue, so I think they chose wisely from the stuff they put on the record. It is my understanding that they prepared "Claudine" for this release but backed down for legal reasons because the song is about a real, living person and it contained poetic license that was inaccurate in her case - Claudine Longet shot her lover Spidey once in real life, three times in the song. To me, you improve Emotional Rescue immeasurably if you replace either "Indian Girl" or "Where The Boys Go" with "Claudine" - of all of the joke songs from this era, I think it's the best.

16. MCT1

MCT1 Forum Resident

Around the beginning of 1980, when I was nine years old, I discovered the radio program "American Top 40" with Casey Kasem, and began listening each week. It was in this context that I first encountered "Emotional Rescue". Not having any preconceived notions of what the Rolling Stones were supposed to sound like, I don't remember having any strong opinions about the song one way or another. I don't remember it being one of my favorites, but I don't remember disliking it, either.

In the mid '80s, when I was in my early/mid teens, I began listening to AOR radio, and got heavily into classic rock. I really got into the Stones around the time Steel Wheels came out, and they became one of my favorite bands. I bought about a dozen of their albums over the next few years. My biggest focus was on the '70s. I got both Hot Rocks collections, but never bought any of the studio albums before Let It Bleed. I eventually got every studio album from Let It Bleed through Some Girls, plus Tattoo You and Steel Wheels. I never bought Emotional Rescue. (I did have the compilation Rewind, which includes the song "Emotional Rescue", but I think it was one of the first Stones albums I bought, and I rarely listened to it once I had accumulated most of the studio albums its material was drawn from.)

In those days, I guess you could have labeled me a rocker. The party line was that "disco sucks", and that "Emotional Rescue" was 'disco'. "Miss You" was branded as disco, too, but for some reason it always seemed more acceptable to like "Miss You" than "Emotional Rescue". I guess the former was seen as some kind of rock-disco fusion, while the latter was seen as pure disco.

Over the past twenty years, while I'd still call Classic Rock my favorite kind of music, and would still list the Stones as one of my favorite bands, I've become much less of a purist. While I still listen mostly to older music, I've explored a lot of pop, new wave/alt-rock, and even R&B that I wouldn't have paid any attention to back in the late '80s or '90s.

Today, I would say that I like "Emotional Rescue", and if I hear it on the radio, I'll stop and listen to it. But my views on it have definitely changed over time, from neutral to negative to positive, depending on where I've been coming from musically.

17. MCT1

MCT1 Forum Resident

As we've been going through the '70s on this thread, I've been thinking about the albums that these singles came from. In doing so, I've come to realize how much the Classic Rock stations in my area have tightened up their playlists. I first began listening to AOR radio around 1985, and have spent at least some of my radio listening time turned to AOR or Classic Rock stations ever since. Most Stones albums from this era historically had multiple songs that got some level of airplay. The singles generally got the most airplay, but there were also some album cuts on a lower tier of airplay, which you would hear less often but still regularly. Most of those songs have disappeared from the airwaves. Off the top of my head, the only '70s album cut I would say that I still hear regularly is "Can't You Hear Me Knocking". "Bitch", "Rocks Off", "Dance Little Sister", "Time Waits For No One", "Hand Of Fate", anything off Some Girls except for the three singles...they've almost completely disappeared from the airwaves, at least around here.

Looking at a list of the tracks on Emotional Rescue, though, I'm struck that I don't think I've ever heard anything from the album on the radio other than the two singles. Anything else that got played when the album was new had already disappeared by 1985. There is no '70s Stones album I could say that about.
    As a side note, while I remember "Shattered" and "Emotional Rescue" as new songs, I don't remember "She's So Cold" at all. When I encountered it a few years later on AOR radio, it was unfamiliar to me. I feel like there were certain periods in late 1980 and early 1981 where the level of attention I was paying to the radio (and to AT40) wasn't as high as at other times, and it must have hit during one of those periods.

18. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I like Shattered very much, but moving past Some Girls became problematic at the time. I did like Tattoo You as a listen here and there, but Emotional Rescue I originally thought was just a misfire for them, kind of doing disco when there was more going on in stuff like Talking Heads Gang of Four and even some Bowie of that period. More of a new wave funk sound instead of what was increasingly tired disco, in other words.

TUrns out for me Tattoo You was merely a brief reprieve, and the Stones work I ended up loving most after it were Keith's solo efforts, and maybe Stripped from time to time. Didn't know it at the time, but in effect Emotional Rescue was a sign of the downturn accelerating.

19. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

"She's So Cold"

Formulaic and with silly lyrics to boot. However, all these years of regular classic rock have been kind to it so it plays better than it probably did back when Emotional Rescue was released.

The MEZ likes this.
  20. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I also think "She's So Cold" is a silly song, but the rocking slapback guitars really elevate it, as do Bill and Charlie's performances — it's pure riff-rock. Catchy hook in the middle eight too, with Bobby chiming in faintly on sax

"Send It to Me" is also catchy and fun, cool guitar and harmonica licks, but it's kind of lightweight despite a solid foundation of good playing. With the synth and percussion touches creeping in, they were starting to get into a more baroque dance-rock style that really went into overdrive after Tattoo You. This is a candyfloss single, good in the moment while you're consuming it but not much remains with you afterwards

21. MCT1

MCT1 Forum Resident

You're right - I should have said this and the next two studio albums. They apparently didn't do this for singles from non-studio albums.

Based on online scans, the oddball 1984 re-release of "Miss You" (in conjunction with the compilation album Rewind) also got the rubber stamp.

aphexj and superstar19 like this.
  22. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Here's that same guitarist YouTuber breaking down the guitar parts in "She's So Cold":

If you've wondered whether the studio version is in standard tuning, or Open G, turns out the song has both! Again with the layers of overdubs...

23. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

In my market and I haven't really checked out the radio in over a year but back then the stations that would play the Stones tended to stick to a few and play them a lot. On one station, "Paint It Black" was played with regularity and so was "Beast Of Burden". One of the JACK stations went for something more obscure like "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)" but they played it somewhat regularly. This is in the London/Kitchener area. I think if you go to one of the long term rock n roll stations in Toronto, you might still hear "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" but in my area I couldn't tell you the last time I heard it on the radio.

aphexj likes this.
  24. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Toronto stations would certainly play the jam-session stuff like "CYHMK" on Sundays, back when Q107 was 'classic' format rock

But I do remember sometimes hearing cuts from Emotional Rescue on the radio driving through your neck of the woods in the past few years, @stewedandkeefed !

25. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

i like Shattered. it amuses me. it's almost a joke song but it's fun and has a cool sound to it.

also like Emotional Rescue. i think i like every falsetto performance of Mick's. good beat to it.

i like She's So Cold with one exception. the first time i heard i heard the lyric 'she's so g-- d--- cold' it was really shocking to me. and that term is just very offensive to me personally so if i listen to the song i have to sing over it or mute it when that lyric is sung.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.