Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2018 Subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tededfred, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Strange Dave didn't use surplus from Ft. Worth not on the RT3.2 bonus disc for the 26 bonus disc. Maybe not quite enough material for 2 CDs? I reckon that's it. Really hope 26 is as hot and boot-scootin' as the Austin show.

Matthew Tate and Claxton like this.
  2. KeithGodchaux

KeithGodchaux Not To Be Taken Away

I believe the flippers account for a significant enough portion of the aggregate sales, such that Rhino and the Grateful Dead are making out much better than without them. The flippers are a free distribution network; what could be better than that if you own a business. There is no way they would have increased production by 33+% in 6 years without eBay and the scal....flippers :D

Think about it though - before the internet, in the 70s, pushing vinyl, they had to pay for distribution. Now they're not even paying the shipping! And to be realistic, if it were not for the flippers, inventory would sit in the warehouse, and the production rate would slow way down. I would rather have more releases a year - 6 Dave's Picks, 2 box sets (big ones). To my chagrin I got burned on Dave's Picks 1 - 10, but I've had a subscription since DaP 13. 11 & 12 I was able to get before they sold out. Box sets haven't been too bad. GSTL sold out fast, but they had the All Music Edition ready to go faster than Rhino can say "it wasn't ever going to be Limited Edition, but let's make sure we get the first 15K out the door quickly..."

3. libertycaps

There are opportunists in every facet of life and commerce. I've been used to it for years. Nothing new under the sun, etc.
    More power to them. They make my Dave's 1-10 sets that much more valuable and you can pry them from my cold, GoGD hands! Lols.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  4. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I shall, I shall. Want to loan me your bonus disc??

Actually, I have a download of that show somewhere.

Archtop likes this.
  5. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

Is this latest Dave's Picks release 11/17/71 or 11/06/77?

6. libertycaps

1971 a rare year where the Fall shows trump the Spring dates. Due in large part to the freshness of the material....but there it is.

Matthew Tate and ianuaditis like this.
  7. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Dave’s 25: 11/6/77 (released in January)
    Dave’s 26: 11/17/71 and 12/14/71 (to be released in a few weeks)

rufus t firefly and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

Thank you SBegs!

SBegonias17 likes this.
  9. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

My assumption is that DL/Rhino/GDM has mapped out a plan to release everything they have. Dave L. a few years ago mentioned in some seaside distracted chat the 20 year plan for four DaP and a box set or two per year. So, they're doling out a few of the amazing, must have, top tier shows, along with ones like the BCT 8/72 and last year's Felt Forum .... which are good, but not in my opinion amazing or on the same level. I'm not complaining. Thank god for tapers!

10. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

We are so spoiled by the tapers, the archive, Dick's and Dave's, box sets. There is no other band with this comprehensive a collection. Not to mention that each show is truly different.
    As Charlie Miller et al keep improving the archive, the new releases are truly unnecessary. I can't wait to see what is coming next!

The section in the Cornell book about Bear and his obsessive desire for clarity in amplification and recording of sound is critically important to understand how we have gotten to this point.

talkingleaf, J_D__, GerryO and 12 others like this.
  11. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

On thing that does make new releases desirable is the use of the Plangent system. That does make a noticeable impact on sound.

talkingleaf, US Blues and dtuck90 like this.
  12. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Not used in Dave’s Picks AFAIK?

ianuaditis likes this.
  13. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

Funny as I actually prefer the Spring stuff since it's the last time it was just one drummer and Pigpen. And at that time Pig had a very laid back approach to using his keyboard rig that the band often sounds like a quartet. Pretty much the only time that ever happened.

Agree and I just wish they'd actually use it for the Dave's Picks series as well. I'd happily pay an extra $2 for each release to have everything go through Plangent.

14. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

You are correct.

ianuaditis and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

Right - I was refering to the boxes. I should have been more specific!

ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  16. David Beckwith

Speaking of boxes, when are they going to announce the next one??? Hopefully any day now. Still hoping for Summer 73 or Fall 73, but other things like an April 69 or Capitol Theatre 71 would certainly make me very, very happy. Of course, I'd be happy with whatever they decide to do though.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  17. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I’m starting to think that we might be getting a bigger boxset than the last couple of years and that will be the only release this year

18. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

:bdance::bdance::bdance::bdance::bdance::bdance::bdance::bdance::bdance::bdance::bdance::bdance::bdance::bdance::bdance::bdance::bdance::bdance::bdance::bdance::bdance::bdance::bdance::edthumbs:

19. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

Great. That hadn't even occurred to me, and now it's all I'll be able to think about!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Complete September 1973?

21. David Beckwith

I certainly wouldn’t be against that! Based on the ones I mentioned before, they could certainly do a bunch for April 69...Capitol Theatre 71 would be a bit more standard in size...Fall 73 I imagine would be pretty much October 21 - 30 and then possible 11-1...Summer 73 there are quite a lot of options there one could do. The three May Stadium shows and then the RFK shows and then the late June West Coast stuff which could be up to 11 shows...I have a feeling that the RFK shows would be their own release with the Allmans and The Band. At least I hope so...the three May Stadium shows and then some of the late June stuff together (as they are all Betty’s) would likely be the most logical and would be a lot of material.

Still hoping to have an 80’s Greek Theatre Box Set one day of a show from each run throughout the decade. Guessing all 27 shows might be too much to ask!

22. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

They've been withholding "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away" from us for so long now.

But... yes, please!

23. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

It's time for Summer 73. It just is.

24. David Beckwith

Yep. And assuming they announce it soon it would be to us just in time for Summer!

25. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

DL2 has said there won't be any venue-specific sets released. Besides there are stellar SQ boards and pre-FM recordings in circulation. The KPFA broadcasts are all you need...all you need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.