How come that Greta Van Fleet got signed?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark12345, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Oh No!
    Now every time I watch her newscasts, my mind will drift to this post...

Thanks a lot for befouling my mental imagery, whilst getting the latest updates on the world news!
    (On the other hand, the ward nurses will be confused when I break out into uncontrollable hysterical maniacal laughter...)

:winkgrin:

2. Because folks like the derivative...

3. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

It's clearly a troll thread. The OP has one post and his name cries out I'm a troll. It's not hard to get this forum riled up. All you have to do is a variation on rock is dead, no one makes music like they used to and boom we get 15 pages of arguing. Falling for the bait is the problem. I imagine the thread will be shut down soon and it should. There already is a GVF thread and that's where people should go that are fans and the ones that are not fans shouldn't care one way or the other.

basie-fan, Weirwolfe, ToneLa and 4 others like this.
  4. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

Could have sworn Greta van Susteren was an indie actress, then realised I was thinking of Greta Gerwig. Brain not what it used to be :doh:

Fullbug and lightbulb like this.
  5. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Is this the outrage of the day?

I don't know why a lot of music gets signed. GVF don't do anything for me but I've no reason to crap all over them. Or wonder why someone puts money behind them. Its not my money, they can do what they want. If they're successful, congratulations. If not, oh well.

Chris DeVoe, Weirwolfe and Brian Lux like this.
  6. Crawlin From The Wreckage

Crawlin From The Wreckage Custom Titled

Good heavens! How could anyone sign these young imposters? Why, back in the 60s bands were signed solely on artistic merit and integrity. I mean, thank goodness Davy Jones, Peter Tork, Mike Nesmith and Mickey Dolenz were recognized as young virtuosos playing their own music back in the day, eh? ;)

7. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I work with university-aged kids and whenever GVF comes on the radio
    they just love it......their `Zeppelin', maybe? Anyway, I have the EP and
    I quite like it - any young band that covers Fairport Convention is all right
    with me. Having said that, the first full-length album will tell us old-timers
    whether Greta Van Fleet is the real deal or not.

8. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Way too many snarky individuals on this one.

So what? If they're successful, good for them! You don't have to listen if you don't like it. They got signed because somebody liked them. They're selling records because someone want to buy them.

Done.

steviebee, Purple, BeatleJWOL and 6 others like this.
  9. lightbulb

At least you’re not thinking of Greta Garbo !

That’d really date your age....

10. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

If the company can get a recording out of them without any heavy expense and market it right, they can make a profit. Probably not a huge profit, but if they can get a single that hits that might happen...

11. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

oops

I blame google image search, and not my own carelessness. Besides, they all look the same.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    lightbulb and dkmonroe like this.
  12. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Nobody in Greta Van Fleet has as much style as Luke Spiller!

(now half a dozen people will find hideously ugly and embarrassing Luke Spiller pics just to prove me wrong)

13. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Hate him or hate him, it's how Bieber got discovered as well.

seaisletim likes this.
  14. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

[​IMG]
    the Coachella crowd was 1/2 the size I expected for them. Many left before end of set. The singer is completely irritating after 10 minutes. Band was very competent but completely derivative.

Fullbug likes this.
  15. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

So they opened with a 9 minute instrumental? Nice!

16. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm not sold on the singer of GVF. There's no soul in his voice- "plastic soul" to quote a Beatle. The band itself are good players. I also don't know if that singer is going to blow out his voice in short order. It doesn't seem like he is singing in a range that is comfortable for him.

vitorbastos123 and vinylkid58 like this.
  17. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

yeah, move along, they're gonna go over like a lead balloon...

audiotom and brock like this.
  18. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

Wobbie Plunt & Wimmie Puj!

19. Cool. Good to know there can a return on investment with a School of Rock education.:righton:

20. featheredfiend

featheredfiend Forum Resident

Oh, I'm painfully aware of what CR is doing - a year after calling the Magpie Salute a "cover band", he goes out and throws together a bunch of guys and is doing the exact same thing.

Can't wait to hear the reviews of tonight's tour opener over on Amorica 3 - the place where all of us loser, die-hard Crowes fans still hang out!!! LOL!!!

wiseblood likes this.
  21. lightbulb

I hope you realize the double-irony in your post; in that Michael Nesmith alone has composed and created great songs and music, both as a Monkee and as a solo artist.
    ;)

steviebee likes this.
  22. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

You nailed it!

23. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

The Spin Doctors of Heavy Metal

DHamilton likes this.
  24. Weirwolfe

Weirwolfe Forum Resident

Agreed.

Chemguy likes this.
  25. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

I’m relatively young (26) and couldn’t get a bit interested in this band. But it didn’t had anything to do with a lack of solid musical knowledge or contempt for classic rock music. My problem was the fact that I was listening to something that I had listened to before and, even being quite old and a product of very different times, still sounded better and fresher than a group formed by people probably younger than their idols grandchildren.

KaptKopter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.