Iron Maiden Song By Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Nov 8, 2017.

1. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

Rock in Rio is fantastic in 5.1. Worth it alone for the isolated Adrian channel (center) My 5.1 set up has been dismantled since En Vivo as well as Flight 666 were released. My theater room unfortunately has been a storage room for the last few years but that's another story for another time. I seem to remember too that Death on the Road had a good 5.1 track as well but I do remember that it was Bruce occupying the center channel on that one.

2. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Yeah, I have all the DVD's (except Raising Hell, for obvious reasons). I really want to experience these live albums in a more complex sound field. Of course, I'd love it even more for studio albums. Aren't Balls to Picasso and Dance of Death available on DVD-A?

izombie73, MusicMatt and Zoot Marimba like this.
  3. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I really enjoy the 5.1 on Flight 666 and En Vivo. I have them on BD and highly recommend them. 5.1 is great for a lot of movies is well, totally worth the investment for me.

4. MusicMatt

Yes they are and what's great is the 5.1 downmix to stereo track on Dance has some great DR if you have the knowhow on how to extract it.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    izombie73 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  5. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

DR? Can you expand on this?

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  6. MusicMatt

dynamic range.

Zoot Marimba and Cheevyjames like this.
  7. MusicMatt

Basically you put the dvd-A disc in your computer, load up an audio extracting program and select the 5.1 track to be down mixed into stereo and it creates a stereo track that you can then listen to or burn onto a cd. It made Dance of Death sound like a Martin Birch era album.

8. rubberhead

rubberhead I've never made a bad record

Same.

MusicMatt and Zoot Marimba like this.
  9. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

I am watching game 2 of the Columbus/Washington NHL playoff series and what do I hear playing right before a face off? "Dream of Mirrors" off the soon to be discussed "Brave New World". Really unexpected song choice and really cool that Maiden got some hockey love.

10. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

Hey let’s meet up with Di’Anno and Stratton!
    The Original Iron Men 2:

Tracklist
    1. Let Your Body Rock: My God, we are not off to a good start. Dreadful song, let’s move on.
    2. The Fool You Left Behind: Or it’s alternative title, the Good Song You Left Behind.
    3. The Answer Is You: Paul sounds pretty good here, I’ll give it that. It’s no great shakes, but it’s the least offensive song so far.
    4. No Repair: This has a little bit more going on, but it’s still generic AOR.
    5. This Man’s Face Is On Fire: The song structure is pretty decent, if unoriginal, but I don’t like how Paul is straining here. I think there’s a decent song here, but a different vocal would have been better.
    6. Don’t Take These Dreams Away: I actually like this song: Good hook, solid melody, i like Paul’s voice on here, and some solid guitar work. Dare I say it: this may be the first good song I’ve heard so far.
    7. So Far Away: This Song is like a turd. Except a turd would at least be kind of cool. HEH, HEH <uh,huh,huh,huh>
    8. Dead Or Alive: I would rather listen to the Bon Jovi song than this s***.
    9. Big Beat No Heart: Good cover of a pretty good Fastway tune. I mean, it’s the same thing, but for this album, I’ll take it.
    10. It’s Only Love: And that clearly wasn’t enough to make this tune any good.
    11. Danger: The best thing I can say about this is that it closes the album.
    The album blows.

11. MusicMatt

Yeah, what he said.

12. Silksashbash

Silksashbash Forum Resident

I was wondering what the story is behind all these Iron albums (two from Paul & Dennis, two from Paul solo). It's all starting to make sense now that I found this line-up called True Brits. This was an all-star line-up, which featured Stratton, Clive Burr and a truckload of guest stars, plus producer/guitarist/vocalist Lea Hart who apparently was also Di'anno's manager. Many of the same songs from the True Brits releases are featured on Paul's 1997 albums and the Original Iron Men albums, and some of the same musicians are playing, too (there are a lot of people on these albums). Almost all the songs are written by Lea Hart, together with varying partners, often Chris O'Shaughnessy or Dave Senczak.

So there. Now for

The Original Iron Men 2
    I like this style very much, and these guys know how to play it. It all comes down to the songs. I only found six songs on the tube, but from what I heard, it's certainly not bad, but still leaves some to be desired.

Let Your Body Rock Rock - Real cool, very 80s, disco beat. Of course metalheads will hate it. Me? I love it.
    The Fool You Left Behind - Great melody, great song.
    No Repair - OK. Pretty good solo.
    Don't Take These Dreams Away - Good verse melody. OK chorus. Not bad.
    Dead Or Alive - Generic, quite boring.
    Big Beat No Hearts - Not all bad, but a bit of a bore.

The remaining four songs I didn't find.

13. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

I'm not listening to any of this solo crap, BTW.

Bless yer golf socks to anyone having the contitution and youthful zest to inflict this on themselves, but me, I'm trying to save myself from as much aggrevation as possible. And yeah, I'd rather listen to some other music.

Almost any other, as a matter of fact... :winkgrin:

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  14. Zoot Marimba

Does that include Dickinson solo?

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  15. BurtThomasWard

Haven't listened to a Bruce solo album in its entirety since 1989, to be honest. I do love "Tears of the Dragon", but I haven't liked a single song off any of the other. Skunkworks I actively dislike and I've heard probably 90% of that one.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  16. el supernautico

el supernautico A traveller of both, time and space

So, at least you know the one or other tune from Accident Of Birth or Chemical Wedding? Mind, most of us think it's the better side of Maiden regarding the 1990's output!:hide:

izombie73, CBackley and Zoot Marimba like this.
  17. BurtThomasWard

I have a friend who's a major Maidenhead (lulz) and who has played me a lot of Bruce's stuff at parties and such. But nothing really made my ears open and me shout 'WOW' instead of bellowing 'take off that crap and put on "Total Eclipse", fer effs sake' ;)

I've grown to partially like the last two of the pre-reunion albums with mister D, but I'll be hard pressed to think of anything worse than those two with Blaze from any band.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Cheevyjames and Zoot Marimba like this.
  18. Zoot Marimba

And now Paul is all by himself as....
    The Original Iron Man:

Tracklist
    1. Living In America: Suprisingly not bad, decent groove and slide playing, Paul sounds good here. Not a bad opener, you could do a lot worse, but nowhere near the James Brown version.
    2. Play That Funky Music: Oh my God, you can’t be serious. The rhythm is not bad, Paul suprisingly isn’t bad here, but I hate the synth here and the slide feels so out of place. Why is Paul gettin funky? Or opening with two covers in a row when this isn’t a covers album? This has good elements, but fails to cover the original Wild Cherry original.
    3. Forever: Oh this is terrible, no wonder he opened with two covers.
    4. What Am I Gonna Do: I know what I’m gonna do, skip this track.
    5. I Ain’t Coming Back No More: Best Song so far, but still not that great.
    6. I’m All Shook Up: Paul sounds good here, but otherwise I don’t like it.
    7. Caught Your Lie: And I caught a sh*tty tune, this sucks.
    8. Had Enough: Same song from the first DiAnno/Stratton album, good version of a decent tune.
    9. Take These Chains From Me: I do like the harmonized guitars on here, but that’s it.
    10. Show Some Emotion: And don’t show some dreck.
    Man, when the two funk covers are two of your better songs, you know you have a bad one.

19. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

I'm really surprised at your dislike for Chemical Wedding and Accident of Birth. If you take these albums outside the context of Maiden or Dickinson, they really stand up on their own as great 'heavy metal' albums and I look forward to further discussion on these albums. I do agree, that for me, previous Dickinson solo albums leave me somewhat underwhelmed. That said, I did just order the Live in Studio A album as has been recently discuss here.

20. BurtThomasWard

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  21. BurtThomasWard

I'm not that much of a metalhead, you see. More like a guy that enjoys metal. But I should perhaps use this opportunity to finally check them out for real, I have to admit I'm a little curious.

Zoot Marimba and weekendtoy like this.
  22. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

:faint:

Cheevyjames and Zoot Marimba like this.
  23. MusicMatt

Paul Di'anno, The Original Iron Man:

I just spent about a half hour sampling this album and I'll just leave this...:wtf: :thumbsdow o_O :help: :doh:. Yeah, its bad. Really bad.

izombie73 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  24. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

[​IMG]

25. el supernautico

el supernautico A traveller of both, time and space

I respect your position. But we have to see how things will pan out here. ;)

Zoot Marimba likes this.