Good movies with bad endings.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by metal134, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Hitchcock's 1950s remake of his own Man Who Knew Too Much (with James Stewart and Doris Day) - beyond inept and totally incompetent. Looked like a studio add-on, which I'm sure it was.

fr in sc likes this.
  2. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

I wish he had never remade that film; the first one has its technical limitations due to being made in '34 in a penurious British film industry, but it's believable. The remake isn't.

alexpop likes this.
  3. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

Chinatown's ending is perfect, absolutely perfect! The "bad ending" is that Nicholson made "The Two Jakes." Absolute crap.

4. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

3 Billboards left me disappointed.

Murph likes this.
  5. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Charlie Bubbles - I think the scriptwriter/director just lost interest.

6. Glaeken

Glaeken Forum Resident

Reaching back a bit:

DEAD AND BURIED - Very creepy film but the twist was obvious at the halfway mark. When it comes, there is no shock, just "awww, of course.."

LAND OF THE DEAD - Let's live and let live with the zombies that just slaughtered our comrades. Mmhmm.

SURVIVING THE GAME - For what's an umpteenth variation on the Most Dangerous Game, this one works on the strength of the eclectic cast but the last 10 minutes are so brain dead it hurt.

THE THING - As a prequel to the 1982 classic, it was surprisingly reverent and competently made - but the final moments inside the alien craft, and the scene immediately afterward are exhibit A for studio interference ruining what might've been an unexpectedly great film.

Jerk The Handle likes this.
  7. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Has anyone seen the unreleased alternate ending of Corbuccis Il grande silenzio? Now... THAT'S a bad ending for sure, plus it destroys everything about the movie - glad it was only a weird special feature on the DVD and not the real thing :unhunh:

8. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

Come to think of it, the ending of Monty Python and the Holy Grail wasn't all that funny.

9. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

old yeller'
    han solo dies.....WTF.

10. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Flashdance - I really enjoyed this movie but was let down by the ending. Alexandra (Jennifer Beals) works at winning an upcoming dance competition but when it gets to the end, the dance is quite short before ending & going into the end credits. They should have made that dance sequence a big thing & much longer!

11. Glaeken

Glaeken Forum Resident

Some others:

DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS - Great scifi B movie marred by the War of the Worlds type happy ending.

HALLOWEEN 4 - Could've been the 2nd decent Halloween sequel but for the "edgy" happening-all-over-again ending.

SNAKE EYES - Another movie marred by a cliched, studio-mandated ending, that even led to a nonsense bit of dialogue in the final scene.

CARRIE - Would've been great if not for the jump scare conclusion.

DEAD CALM - See CARRIE.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  12. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Random? I must wholeheartedly disagree.

The ending was perfect when you consider the name of the movie and the arc of Sheriff Bell (who was the main character of the film, even if Moss got more screen time). I get that the first time watching, the Moss/Chigurh cat and mouse game not having an on screen conclusion is somewhat unsatisfying, but when you sit back and really think about the arc of the film and what it is trying to tell us, there could not have been a better ending.

13. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I know, I'm weird, but I am probably in that minority of people who actually preferred The Two Jakes to Chinatown...
    It makes sense when you know why the Pythons went for that ending, but otherwise Holy Grail's ending is a scene tailor made for Graham Chapman's "Colonel" character..."Stop this, it's silly!"
    [​IMG]

14. DVEric

DVEric Satirical Intellectual

No contest: Apocalypse Now

Phenomenal film with the absolute worst ending possible — all due to Marlon Brando’s ridiculous ego and utter laziness.
    Watch this scene. It’s so horrible as to border on self-parody.

15. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

finally, someone else who gets it. I said to my wife: 'The biggest joke the Coens pulled is that this movie is about a character who has less screen time than two other characters, one dies and the other is severely injured by the end. The last 5 minutes is them sticking their tongue out and saying 'Were you not paying attention to the title of this movie??"

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  16. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

The five minute 'wrap-up' scene at the end of Kevin Smith's Red State completely undercut what
    would have otherwise actually been a pretty effective "message" film about the tragic interactions of
    certain neo-religious 'cult' groups and overzealous law enforcement during the 1990s. What a waste.

GodShifter likes this.
  17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I disagree. That’s too predictable. I like that he melts down. I mean, the movie is pretty standard in terms of plot devices, characters, and so forth, so his blowing the US Open due to being stubborn is him staying in character. It makes sense.

HenryH and Lightworker like this.
  18. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Jane Campion's In The Cut was going so well... then the ending :shake:

19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I must agree unfortunately. A very bad ending to a great film.

Lightworker likes this.
  20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

By the way, I really enjoyed reading this entire thread; very interesting in terms of other people’s perceptions to films and their endings. I especially liked reading about 2001 as that movie’s end confused the crap of me (and still makes me mad to this day). I do, however, disagree about the Monolith and how it’s used as a plot device. To me, the Monolith is a representation of an important event in the evolution of the human species. It appears at very critical junctures in mankind’s timeline.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  21. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Very few films have perfect endings: Casablanca, To Kill A Mockingbird, Rio Bravo, maybe even Snakes On A Plane for me.
    Shooter (2007) is a favourite (spoiler alert!):

22. Pretty good movie. Terrible, terrible ending (but possibly a somewhat realistic ending scenario given the state of our society).

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  23. I liked that he lost too, but there were just too many attempts at the shot to make it at all realistic. They could have done something more subtle if he'd been closer at that point and only had to hit the bad shot once or twice in the loss. That's basically how Rocky ended.

24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yeah, I agree to an extent. Yet just in this year’s Masters defending champion, Sergio Garcia, “tin cupped” a hole that cost him any chance. I believe he used 5 balls before finally making the shot he wanted. Perhaps less attempts would have been better for Costner’s Roy, but the amount of shots was probably to reinforce just how stubborn he was. Losing by a shot or two is not nearly as memorable as completely blowing it due to a meltdown.

25. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Yeah, I feel the same way about the end of
    NEVADA SMITH
    Because Steve McQueen spends the entire film tracking down Karl Malden, then simply turns his back on him and rides off into the sunset (so to speak). Very unsatisfying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.