Martin Scorsese to Direct SCTV Retrospective Special for Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Peace N. Love, Apr 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Night School High Q" is better! :shh:

2. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I looked for the one where Moranis's character is always disconnecting his mic :D

3. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

One episode of High Q had an annoying contestant who, without waiting for the question to be completed, answered "The Beatles?" Just like here!

carrick doone and MarkTheShark like this.
  4. Oatsdad

That's "Night School Hi Q". Unfortunately, YT only provides a 55-second clip from it! :cry:

They do have the complete "Half Wits", though, which I love!

5. Oatsdad

That's in the clip linked above.

"Love to Love Ya, Baby"?

6. the pope ondine

ahhhh, and Candy would hit the buzzer then deny it.... this has sent me on an sctv binge, I might have to pull out my old dvds.

pablo fanques likes this.
  7. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Please tell me Scorsese will have a parody oF The King of Comedy with Sammy Maudlin and Bobby Bittman.

eddiel likes this.
  8. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Ever since he directed Jerry Lewis's French TV special.

9. MarkTheShark

I recall reading somewhere (or maybe it was in an audio commentary on one of the DVDs) that "Margaret Meehan" is actually Catherine O'Hara's mother's maiden name.

bekayne, MikaelaArsenault and Oatsdad like this.
  10. MarkTheShark

Warning: Extremely long response.

The Early Years set actually is mostly third season shows (12) which feature Robin Duke, Rick Moranis and Tony Rosato, and only three shows from the second season which feature John Candy and Catherine O'Hara.

Joe Flaherty, Eugene Levy, Andrea Martin and Dave Thomas are common to all 15 episodes. Harold Ramis and Martin Short do not appear.

There is quite a bit of duplication between the Early Years set and the prior releases of the 90-minute shows (mostly on Volume 1) because they repeated a lot of stuff from the first three years on the early 90-minute shows.

The rumor was that the "Best Of" set was originally planned to be a complete Season 3 box set, but our old friend "music rights" got in the way. In fact, there are even one or two music edits among the 15 shows they did include, and one skit ("Cruisin' Gourmet") is cut out of one of the shows and replaced with a Great White North from a different episode.

If they couldn't clear 15 of the half-hour shows without any edits, I think we can pretty much forget about seeing the rest of the series released.

But I hope I'll be proven wrong some day. At the very least, I am glad we got what we got with mostly unedited shows, and the original show openings and bumpers left alone. Just that by itself is a huge improvement over the syndicated and cable reruns.

Now...if they were able to do a comprehensive release of the first three seasons, there are some issues:

(1) The Canada and U.S. versions of the shows differed, with the Canadian ones being two minutes longer. Sometimes that simply means a skit in the Canadian episode that's not in the U.S. one. BUT...

(2) ...the Canadian show started in the fall of 1976, and the U.S. show started in the fall of 1977. What we call the "first season" was actually produced over two years, 1976-1978, and for the first year it aired in Canada only. So in some cases the U.S. shows were assembled after the fact from the ground up, and some of them mixed and matched skits from different Canadian episodes, i.e. some U.S. half-hours had no equivalent Canadian episode. Not only that, but...

(2a) ...there are only a few of the ORIGINAL U.S. half-hours from the first season circulating. (The original U.S. shows were very different from the later post-1984 re-edited versions.) Among the ones I have seen, some include alternate edits of certain skits (announcer voice-over might be different, parts of a skit might be in a different order, and...

(2b) ...in at least a few cases, there were entire skits which appeared in the U.S. half-hours but not the Canadian ones. Furthermore...

(2c) ...while there are published lists of the original running orders of the Canadian half-hours (which originate from Dave Thomas's wonderful book), there isn't a list of the U.S. ones, at least I don't know of any available. (Again, I am referring to pre-1980s.) So who knows what's in them (especially in Season 1, where I suspect most of the big differences would be). This is just conjecture, but there could be additional "U.S. only" skits besides the few that are known. And who knows if the original (again, by "original" I mean pre-1984 reshuffling) U.S. half-hours even still exist? (I am pretty confident the Canadian ones do.)

(3) Now, even if they were able to clear all the licensing, and had an archive of every version of every episode, including all skits that were shown in one country but not the other, there are a handful of skits that were later cut from reruns by the producers not for music rights, but for content reasons. Off the top of my head, "Labrador Slugger," "Recriminalize Marijuana," and "The Dr. Braino Hour" appeared in some of the re-edited (post-1984) rerun versions but not others. (They were changed around numerous times, but that's a whole other subject.) But a couple of sketches ("Al Pro Dog Food" and "Family Crisis Game Show") were completely withheld from the re-edited reruns, apparently because of depictions of violence against women.

(4) And then there is the "Cisco Kid" episode, which was a redubbed version of a show from the original series with new dialogue redubbed onto it. (The voice actors were Second City people, including future SCTV star Martin Short.) This was produced as an unsold pilot for a "Mad Movies" type of series around 1978-79, and an edited version ended up being used in a Season 3 episode in 1981. It aired in first-run but was not part of the post-1984 re-edited reruns. Rhodes Productions distributed both "The Cisco Kid" and "SCTV" at the time; I am not sure what the situation is now.

I am curious about the status of a lot of this material. But it is somewhat of a jigsaw puzzle. Still, as others have stated, I would love to see the rest of SCTV released.

11. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

Fascinating. Sounds very confusing. I have hope though. WKRP in Cincinnati had a music right hold up for years. They eventually were able to get most of the music back on the show.Not all of it. It is not perfect, but I was satisfied with the complete series set that they released a couple of years ago. So hopefully with this new documentary they will at least get the rights to show all the episodes on Netflix.

MarkTheShark and carrick doone like this.
  12. balzac

balzac Senior Member

From everything I hear, Scorsese still makes some relatively compelling, worthwhile fictional films. But on the documentary side I'm not so sure. I feel like his super-long George Harrison documentary was pretty disappointing. Something like 3 and 1/2 hours, and it ignored tons of years of Harrison's relatively short life.

If attaching Scorsese's name to a project is the only thing that gets it funded and made, then I can't complain. But I kind of wish Scorsese was just producing and brought a better documentary filmmaker in.

tedkul likes this.
  13. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Is this going to be better than my Shout! Factory collections? (though I only have the first two)

14. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

I have seldom laughed so hard at **anything** as much as I laughed at the first run of that "Cisco Kid" episode.

"Mornin', Mr. Ladd"

"Howdy, Mr. Ladd"

"I am **not** Alan Ladd-- my name's Dwayne!"

Let's hope there are plenty of old dusty videotape reels stuck away in a long-forgotten storage room...

- Kevin

pablo fanques and Vidiot like this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Don't forget "Harry, The Guy with the Snake on His Face..."

[​IMG]

16. the pope ondine

im just hoping they have some behind the scene stuff * the more the better~ but I have a feeling most of it was released with the box sets and being an sctv fanatic I might've heard some of the stories a few times but if this coincides with Netflix getting the rights to show :-popcorn: finally something really bingeworthy
    ps I always thought Joe Flaherty was unsung hero of the show, there for the duration and usually played the straight man with Levy and never got the spinoffs etc.

17. MarkTheShark

If you think this is confusing, I didn't even touch on the subject of the differences between the U.S. and Canadian re-edited 1984 syndicated half-hours. They had a different running order, the U.S. versions were again shorter, and a lot of skits in the U.S. versions were mixed and matched between episodes compared to the Canadian versions. Then they were all re-edited and reshuffled again later, with formerly missing sketches restored, and sometimes swapped out for other sketches. Then they were re-edited again for music rights reasons, and certain skits were replaced with skits from other shows, sometimes from other seasons.

I taped a lot of shows from Nick At Nite and Comedy Central (which were pretty much identical to each other), then later other (different) versions of the same shows from "NBC Later" and TV Land. I am still going through them trying to piece them back together. Sometimes you can successfully get all the skits from a particular show between the different re-edited versions, and sometimes there is still stuff missing. I think it would be easier in Canada.

wayne66 likes this.
  18. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I'm looking forward to this. Lost to the ethos I guess is the short lived Big City Comedy (I think that was the name) with John Candy and Lorne Michaels' Friday night variety show "The New Show" with Dave Thomas and other SCTV players who guested.

pablo fanques likes this.
  19. MarkTheShark

Some compilation videos of "Big City Comedy" were released on VHS, as was a syndicated Second City comedy special from 1979 (which aired on Channel 32 in Chicago) featuring John Candy and Fred Willard, in which Candy played "Mr. Mambo."

Then there is also "The Dave Thomas Show" from circa 1990-ish.

stereoptic likes this.
  20. the pope ondine

has anyone seen the original Sammy Davis Jr the Sammy Maudlin show was based on?

21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

That's it! I've been trying to remember for years, who Martin Scorcese looked like, because in the past few years I would see him and think...waitaminute, how could he have looked like that 20 years ago..:confused:

Eugene Levy!

22. the pope ondine

bobby bittman doing scorcese's scene from taxi driver would be something

23. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

24. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Will everybody else be there?

25. Dwight Fry

Dwight Fry Forum Resident

There is this...