Pink Floyd RSD 2018 (mono Piper)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

Good man! (P.S. - I am really due some incoming positive karma :love: )

rontoon likes this.
  2. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I always appreciate a thoughtful gift, Ron.

rontoon likes this.
  3. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

Hopefully one day life will throw you an advantage and you'll take it.

4. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

I am not sure if we should launch a poll on this but many on this thread, including myself, think that it will be released later on as a normal catalog item w/o all the memorabilia that comes with it on RSD (racket store day).

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Derek Slazenger and Man at C&A like this.
  5. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

No. The whole point of RSD is to get people spending money in record stores. If RSD First meets that objective, then that's the way to go, collector entitlement be damned.

marcb, footlooseman, NaturalD and 2 others like this.
  6. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Hey, you make it public, it's gonna get pointed out. There are those who proudly and publicly purchase multiple copies of limited edition items specifically to flip. There's nothing wrong with a little consciousness raising.

7. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

The advantages I take don’t screw over innocent people. At last year’s record store day there were a few young teenagers there. Would I be so selfish and get two copies of an album that they may want and hinder something that could spur a lifetime of music enjoyment just because I for some reason needed more than one copy? I don’t think so.

8. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

I'm just going by what you said a couple weeks ago. It's all good, though. I was just hoping you'd post your thoughts on the sound quality prior to RSD, but if that doesn't pan out, so be it. Cheers.

rontoon likes this.
  9. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

You're entitled to your own opinion, as extreme as it may be.

10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Please raise his consciousness offline

baconbadge, troggy, markmck79 and 3 others like this.
  11. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

God save us from the self-righteous.

12. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

For me, as long as it’s available in a vinyl format at some point I will be happy. The poster in the RSD version be darned.

13. Devilscucumber

Devilscucumber Forum Resident

From what I've read (esp from "Syd Barrett & Pink Floyd: Dark Globe" by Julian Palacios) I'd have to agree, one of Syd's closest friends at the time, Jock Findlay, insisted that Syd took no more than 10 trips during 1967, however his flat at Cromwell Road was a zoo, and there were persistent rumours of spiking, no end of groupies and drop-outs. We all understand the pressure being exerted from management, record label and bandmates to conform and come up with the goods. The change from resident band at the UFO and the Pied Piper of the psych movement, to pop stars, was an antithesis of what Syd was about. He retreated into antic behaviour, burnt out and not happy with being a trained monkey on a chain, his music became more autobiographical.
    Vegetable Man, apart from the reference to the practice of making a harvest figure of vegetables, to be consumed, (from The Golden Bough), and maybe from a conversation with teen magazine "Go"reporter, where Syd says "its getting better" "I'm beginning to think less now" where the reporter responds and says, "Well , if you stop thinking entirely, you might as well be a vegetable" & Barrett responds "Yeah!"
    Add this to a strong sense of competition for control of the group from Waters, as Syd was behaving erratically, even dressing in drag, disappearing, the brief respite moving into Richmond Hill can almost be felt in "Apples & Oranges"
    The complexities of a mind so creative and sensitive, cannot be overlooked, there are numerous references to Syd's almost psychic tendencies, his chromesthesia, he was backed into a corner, where the only escapes were drugs and anarchic non-conformity to the point of non-engagement.

baconbadge and WonkyWilly like this.
  14. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

I usually work on Saturday, but this year I took the day off to track this bad boy down.

15. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Just ignore it then. Ignorance is bliss.

16. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Bliss is staying on point and not being sanctimonious, as someone else pointed out. But, sure, I’ll ignore you.

dkmonroe, correctodad and superstar19 like this.
  17. plynthe

plynthe Forum Resident

Cool, yeah worked at a record store for the first RSD and most of them since! When things are available later on it starts to dilute the purpose. It's already bad enough with flipping.

18. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I agree with you for the most part but I would concur with the idea that the Gilmour/Waters produced Syd tracks are not nearly as well produced as those produced by Malcolm Jones. So in the area of record production they didn't really do Syd a favor (although arguably getting their names on the LP made them more attractive to buyers).

I've never heard an account of 1967-68 in which Syd was perfectly functioning but got booted anyway because the rest of them were villains. I don't believe Syd's issues were totally drug-related but I think it's pretty well established that he was cracking up in public and that if they'd have held on to him, there would have been no Pink Floyd by 1969 at the latest. Firing Syd could not have been an easy decision - he was their principal songwriter, lead vocalist, lead guitarist, and one and only pop star face.

anth67 likes this.
  19. dkmonroe

Very interesting but I think it's safe to say that anyone in the pop music game, from the Beatles to the Stone to Hendrix, had exactly the same problems with being turned into a commodity, and many of them responded much better than Syd appears to have done. And the ironic thing is, if Syd had kept it together for two more years, he would have been in a much freer, more open musical environment in 1969-70, where it was not necessary to churn out singles and TV appearances to be successful. The Floyd didn't play the pop star game too long after losing Syd, and ended up remarkably in control of their image and music.

Sytze, Kalli and Farthingscat like this.
  20. Azura

Azura Felis silvestris grampia, factum ex trabibus ferro

Without wishing to get drawn into the debate, it's worth remembering just how strong the acid was back then. It is self limiting anyway so frequency of use is not that important and those "no more than 10" spread out through the year would pack some punch.

21. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

I am not disputing this at all.

I think I was somewhat imprecise in terms of the drug use being the reason for Syd's decent into darkness. By all accounts he had problems before he used drugs heavily. Maybe the drugs worked as a catalyst. It is hard to say without being a doctor - and even then...

22. Devilscucumber

Devilscucumber Forum Resident

Yes, you are right and that account doesn't even factor in the heroic dose of STP (DOM) that Syd took in November in the US, which by all accounts took a week to get over (according to Pete Townsend), plus other random events like sustaining a massive electric shock from a Shure mic during the brief US tour

23. dkmonroe

I wasn't being critical of your reference to drugs in Syd's case, just the usual line that gets thrown around when Syd's mentioned. Most people believe that Syd just destroyed his brain with LSD but the situation was far more complex. And I'm pretty sure that there's others who did a LOT more acid that Syd ever did (Lennon and Morrison come to mind) and yet never had similar psychological problems.

Nightswimmer likes this.
  24. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Syd was very shy and probably those drugs isolated him the more he took some.

baconbadge likes this.
  25. dkmonroe

Was he though? Reading about his pre-Floyd life he seems to have been very popular and outgoing. In the Dark Globe book he seems like he was the local Cambridge It Guy who everyone wanted to hang out with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.