Rolling Stones Single-By-Single Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Parachute Woman, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    She's So Cold - A decent rocker and one of the better tracks on Emotional Rescue in my opinion. However, the lyrics are rather dumb. There are is a cleaned up alternate version of this without the curse word. It appeared on the European lp version of Rewind and the Super Deluxe version of GRRR!. It has been played live sporadically. A promo video exists

Send It To Me - A reggae/disco influenced number with a Chuck Berry lick from Keith and slide from Woody. Sugar Blue figures into this on harmonica and Max Romeo makes an appearance on percussion. The silly lyrics are about a mail-order bride. It has never been played live and not really my cup of tea. It was supposedly edited down from a much longer track.

Flaming Torch and superstar19 like this.
  2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Totally agree on Claudine. It would be my favorite track on the album along with Let Me Go if it were included. Possibly adding Hang Fire would have helped as well in my opinion.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    superstar19 and stewedandkeefed like this.
  3. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

"Let Me Go" is the other song I like from the album. I agree about "Hang Fire" and I'm pretty sure the take they used on Tattoo You was from the Emotional Rescue sessions though they also tried it at the Some Girls sessions. I also believe "Ain't No Use In Crying" was ready to go which could have replaced "Indian Girl" which I am sure I despise as much as you do "Faraway Eyes".

The MEZ and Spadeygrove like this.
  4. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I would have included So Young on one of those albums as well.

Meyer likes this.
  5. stewedandkeefed

I've played the bonus disc for Some Girls a lot and the one-two punch of "Claudine" and "So Young" gets extra attention from me. I think the sessions for Some Girls produced some great playing from the band.

The MEZ, aphexj and bonus like this.
  6. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

I don't hear "She's So Cold" very often these days. In 1980, I heard it a lot. Both of the Top 40 stations in South Bend, Indiana, where I was at the time, had a rock edge to them; they tended not to play a lot of R&B/soul music unless it was really high on the national chart, but they'd play a lower-charting rocker. The Notre Dame campus station, the one you could only hear via carrier current in the dorms, also played it a lot.

I kept waiting for more lyrics, but they never came; Bob Dylan this isn't. But as an expression of male sexual frustration, it's hard to beat.

"She's So Cold" peaked at #21 in Cash Box and #33 in Record World. Though not always true, the Stones usually did better in CB than in Billboard and worse in RW.

As mentioned in the initial posting, "She's So Cold" peaked at #9 on the Billboard dance chart in a combined listing with "Emotional Rescue" and "Dance Pt. 1."

The Disco Top 100 chart, as it was called in 1980, was the oddest duck among the Billboard charts of the era because of its unlimited nature. Though 12-inch singles were the primary source for the songs on the chart, it also charted 7-inch singles, album cuts, album sides, even entire albums if it found that every song was getting dance-floor play. It also listed imports if necessary -- the only U.S. chart to do so. Around the same time that the three Stones songs from Emotional Rescue were hot in the clubs, a 45 available only on the Stiff U.K. label was on the Disco 100 chart and eventually peaked at #35. You'd hear more from them later; it was the original, pre-I.R.S. version of "We Got the Beat" by the Go-Go's. The Billboard dance charts finally became limited to one song per position in 1991.

The promo 45 was stereo/stereo. Both sides were 4:10, but as already mentioned, one side was called the "Cleaned Up Version" and the other the "God Damn Version." Undoubtedly, someone remembered that in 1977, some radio stations either awkwardly edited on their own, or refused to play entirely, "Life in the Fast Lane" by the Eagles.

Both promos and stock copies came from the Specialty and Monarch pressing plants with the catalog number RS 21001. The "Oldies" reissue, still on the yellow label, has the number RS 13228.

When I first got the 45, my copy had a white generic sleeve. Later, I saw a copy with a picture sleeve in a different store. In those days, there were few things more aggravating as a consumer/collector of 45s than to encounter this, and having a limited budget, I didn't want to buy the same new 45 twice unless there was an obvious difference. So I switched the record inside the sleeve I wanted with a different, same-priced, 45 that I didn't have that didn't have a picture sleeve. The duplicate record that I had removed from the picture sleeve then went into the abandoned generic sleeve, and I put it back where it belonged. My thinking was that the record cost the same with or without the picture sleeve, so why not? I doubt I'm the only person who did this. Anyway, it gave me the impression that "She's So Cold" was less common than was typical of its era. It's more common than I thought; it's around a 2 on the 1-10 rarity scale. By the way, I love the frozen tongue.

7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I've mentioned before that I feel the Some Girls bonus disc is actually better than the Emotional Rescue album. If you took the tracks from the bonus disc, Emotional Rescue and the Tattoo You tracks from the same period, you could compile a pretty good album.

8. stewedandkeefed

I think part of the reason is the instrumental tracks they chose were way better than a lot of what they used for the Exile disc. Add to that I think Mick's voice on the 2012 vocal overdubs matched the material a lot better on the Some Girls bonus disc than the vocal overdubs he did for the Exile era tracks they put on that bonus disc.

All Down The Line likes this.
  9. MCT1

MCT1 Forum Resident

In the summer and fall of 1980, the U.S. record industry had another round of increases in the price of 45s, with the retail list climbing from $1.49 to $1.69. Atlantic once again marked the point where the increase occurred by skipping ahead in its catalog number sequences. Rolling Stones Records jumped from the 20000s to the 21000s. "She's So Cold" was the first 45 in the new sequence. After the previous skip, the new sequence started with 20000 (not 20001), but as far as I can tell, this one started with 21001 (not 21000).
    The "Oldies" reissues of both of the singles from Emotional Rescue got new numbers in the Atlantic Oldies Series sequence, rather than keep their original catalog numbers. The two have consecutive numbers (13227 and 13228), which suggests to me that they were released at the same time. It was common for record labels to release oldies reissue 45s in batches; the batch these were released in was probably bigger than just these two titles. Looking at the content of other nearby catalog numbers in the series, these two Stones reissues were probably released sometime in 1981.
    The "She's So Cold" 45 had THE ROLLING STONES at the top of the label in the same custom typeface as the LP cover, just like the "Emotional Rescue" 45, but it did not have the phrase "EMOTIONAL RESCUE" (in quotation marks) underneath it. Perhaps I wasn't the only one who found its use on the "Emotional Rescue" 45 confusing, and it would have been even more confusing on a 45 that did not contain the song "Emotional Rescue" on either side.

When it comes to the custom typeface, the "Oldies" reissue of each single from Emotional Rescue matches the original. Both sides of the "Emotional Rescue" Oldies 45 have THE ROLLING STONES and "EMOTIONAL RESCUE" at the top of the label, while both sides of the "She's So Cold" Oldies 45 have only THE ROLLING STONES.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    aphexj likes this.
  10. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm sorry things have slowed down so much. Not really surprised, but sorry.

This is my favorite on Emotional Rescue:

I love a good Keith warbler, and this one is one of his best. Love those horns. There's nothing like this one on Some Girls.

The MEZ, aphexj, Davido and 5 others like this.
  11. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I love "She's So Cold". My other favourite off the album (with "Down In The Hole"). The video is one of my favourite from the Stones.
    I never really liked "Send It To Me". A throwaway song.

aphexj likes this.
  12. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Is the first recorded instance of Bill's 'divebombs' the live cut of "It's Alright" from 1965? As a result of this terrific thread I've been listening to The Stones chronologically and it jumped right out at me just now. Kinda cool that he went on to reproduce the effect in a studio recording not long after

13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It is at this point where my interest in The Rolling Stones stopped. It wasn't until the 90s that I understood the brilliance of some of this material.

D.B. and Malcolm Crowne like this.
  14. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

Love "She's So Cold" - I think Emotional Rescue was the first "new" Stones album I purchased, back in 7th grade. Always felt like a minimal song to me. Like, you really had to listen between the lines, because the Rolling Stones weren't going to spoonfeed you their song.

aphexj and Parachute Woman like this.
  15. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Heh. That just happens here. I hosted a Moody Blues album by album thread and after the classic 7 albums were discussed the thread tailed off dramatically also. :D

I'll still hang in here. I enjoy the Stones output so I'll still haunt your thread to the very end. :laugh:

16. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I'm following along and enjoying the comments. Also I may have missed some latter-day B-sides so I want to make sure I have them in some form. I know the info is on line but this is more fun.:)

17. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

I for one am looking forward to post-Tattoo You discussions because I plan to give late Stones another whirl. Great thread...

18. Malcolm Crowne

Malcolm Crowne Forum Habitue

This is a period when singles were the more affordable way to hear good new Stones music. I remember getting the picture sleeves of shattered and she's so cold, definitely -- someone upthread mentioned the Kasey Kasem show; I remember ca. 1980 as a time when 7" singles were "back" in a way. Punk/New Wave had seen to that I remember. It was a good format to have the Stones doing their trying to keep up with the times routine. The songs wear well over time. She's So Cold has brilliant lyrics - this part I find especially touching and beautiful:

19. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

Just catching up -

Emotional Rescue - I remember loathing this song when I first heard it, but I quite enjoy it now. It isn’t a top tier Stones single, but it has an awesome groove (well done, Charlie). Jagger’s falsetto always brings a smile to my face, and the spoken word outro is both ridiculous and fantastic at the same time.

She’s So Cold - Again, not an A-list Stones single but it is quite catchy and a bit under-appreciated. I love the riff and the slap back echo on the guitars, and Mick’s lyrics are hilarious. Yes, it’s Stones-by-Numbers....but who cares? It rocks. One of the few highlights from the dreadful Emotional Rescue album.

20. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

I have similar feelings about Emotional Rescue and think I was too young at the time to appreciate the sense of humor inherent in the track. The groove is undeniable and has aged tremendously well. As far as She's So Cold, it stands up quite well when compared to latter day tracks like You Got Me Rockin'... I really have no major problems with the album at this point even if it is a weaker link between Some Girls and Tattoo You. But I consider all three albums a trilogy and probably revisit ER more than SG or TY at this point because it's so low key overall and the songs were not overplayed.

21. John54

John54 Senior Member

Beast of Burden isn't bad. Otherwise I don't even know the half of these songs. And when I do hear one that I know (Shattered, Emotional Rescue), it just makes me want to run off and crank up Hot Rocks vols. 1 and 2.

22. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

I think we're now into an interesting period of the Stones career - written off as 'too old', still trying to stay relevant, and coming out with some gems.
    I think they were the only one of their sixties contemporaries still going in a somewhat original form and still scoring big hits with every album. (I'm not counting solo artists careers by their contemporaries).
    To me it seems inevitable that there would be times when quality drops and that the albums would have a number of filler tracks - and this would be the story of the Stones from here on in.
    ER is a really good pop single, but nowhere near as good as Miss You, and She's So Cold is OK. The album is puzzling because there was far better material available. I can only imagine that considerations of what was best for the market, what best followed on from Some Girls and the diplomatic necessity of Mick & Keith getting their choices got us what we were delivered.
    Because whilst I love the Some Girls bonus disc, I've never been convinced that any of those tracks really fitted onto Some Girls, and that may have been where the band's head was at when they looked for tracks for the follow up, chasing Some Girls part 2 rather than the best songs available.

23. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It's a singles thread, but i'm thinking I should revisit this, and the next album. Yes, I have them both.

aphexj likes this.
  24. MCT1

MCT1 Forum Resident

Before we move on to the singles from the next studio album, I'll drop in a note here that the Stones released a compilation album in between, the rather odd Sucking In The Seventies. Released in early 1981, this album has previously been mentioned in a few comments. Eight of its ten tracks were from the 1976-78 era, although one older song and one newer song were also included. In part, it was a greatest hits album that picked up where Made In The Shade left off, but it was missing the Stones' biggest hit from this period ("Miss You"); in part, it was an "odds n' sods" collection with a couple of live tracks (one from Love You Live, one a previously unreleased performance of a song from Some Girls), a song that had been a non-LP B-side in North America only (previously unreleased elsewhere), and a previously unreleased studio track from the Emotional Rescue sessions. Most of the previously released songs appeared in edited form. Given the nature of its material, no singles were commercially released in conjunction with Sucking In The Seventies. It hit #15 on the U.S. Billboard album chart.

25. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Sucking In The Seventies is awesome, one of my favourite Stones albums, simply for "Everything Is Turning To Gold" and "If I Was A Dancer".

Malcolm Crowne likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.