Pink Floyd Animals in 5.1 Speculation, Now Pricing & Shipping thread starting Page 248

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

I will dig it out soon and do a screen shot and confirm what I have in a post. I may be wrong but I am thinking it was processed from a Quad 8-track but it's been a long time since I've pulled it out of my immense bootleg etc. collection, I may be talking out the side of my nugget, but we will find out.

Markbot and makedatmusic like this.
  2. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

He probably owns a couple.

3. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I recently linked to an interview here from the Brain Damage site with James Guthrie talking about this. A lot of elements (the TV stuff in the background etc.) aren't even on the multi-track but were flown in "wild" during mixing direct to stereo, which could prove problematic for a 5.1 if those elements are damaged or missing:

Pink Floyd news :: Brain Damage - James Guthrie interview - Pink Floyd: The Wall

4. marcb

marcb Senior Member

There was specific mention of a Wall 5.1 mix in 2011 too...that didn’t make it likely when the Immersion box came out.

makedatmusic likes this.
  5. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

I so want this to happen, but I won't hold my breath for it. Hopefully it gets done. Like the Dire Straits SACDs, the Wall 5.1, and that Creedence song Someday Never Comes.

makedatmusic likes this.
  6. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Hey, In the Beechwoods came out. So anything can happen.

7. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

If it sometime really happens, then it will be a real miracle! Already there were so many years of various promises and zero as a result. Therefore it is necessary only to cross fingers and to wait.
    I don't think that these expectations will be deceived and we after all will receive 1) new a stereo mix, 2) mix 5.1, 3) the best concert version

makedatmusic likes this.
  8. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

It’s just my theory but I think the Wall took so long that they just decided to wait to release it for the 40th anniversary next year. Maybe we will get lucky and see Animals this Christmas.

PDK and makedatmusic like this.
  9. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I got my info from Storm's Mind Over Matter book.

makedatmusic likes this.
  10. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

OK. Where can I pre-order!

makedatmusic likes this.
  11. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

OMG! FINALLY! I put this album above Dark Side and Wish as my favorite, :hide:

12. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

For something that should be exciting news, this thread is a buzzkill. A 5.1 of Animals on SACD or Blu Ray should be enough to satisfy. Instead, to many, it has to be about a super duper mega deluxe box set or The Wall.

2141, Sordel, Sevoflurane and 5 others like this.
  13. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

I believe that one is someone's homemade bootleg upmix from stereo. Did some quick research and it looks like a quad Animals was given a catalog number but never released and no quad mix from the period has ever surfaced (yet?).

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Wolfspaw and makedatmusic like this.
  14. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I has an ersatz DTS of what is purported to be Animals from Q8. I also think it is more of a home mix.

What is fun....slightly off topic....is my ersatz mix of WYWH based on the actual quad release from the seventies. Somebody really amped up the bass in Welcome to the Machine. It puts my Velodyne subwoofer into overdrive and the whole room thrumps with machine sounds. Very fun. Not hi fi at all but fun.

I do like the SACD of WYWH; alone with the SACD of Dark Side it is one of my favorite surround releases. Plus you get the originals in 4.0 and the new 5.1 mixes.

15. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

And this was unexpected? ;)

makedatmusic and PretzelLogic like this.
  16. It’s sitting on the shelf next to the Aerosmith Rocks SACD . . .

Steel Horse and makedatmusic like this.
  17. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Aerosmith - Rocks

makedatmusic likes this.
  18. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

We all know they will release this stuff because were not getting any younger and they need to extract cash from us ASAP. There is no hi res option for most (but not all) streaming outlets and certainly not 5.1.

makedatmusic likes this.
  19. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Maybe they can include the alleged unreleased quad mix.

boggs and makedatmusic like this.
  20. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

I wouldn't be so sure, I remember hearing like a decade ago that Genesis was going to open the floodgates and release their archived soundboard recordings and it never happened.

makedatmusic likes this.
  21. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Animals in 5.1 sound...you mean I might actually have to spring for a surround sound system?:laugh: Don't tempt me, Rog, 'cos I'll do it for Animals...

J_D__, tedhead, Hattipper and 3 others like this.
  22. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

I did it for Amused to Death :)

Kristofa, Hattipper and makedatmusic like this.
  23. van1

van1 Forum Resident

I got a bottom end Sony home theatre about 6 years ago and it acted like a gateway drug. I began buying sacd's and dvd-a's that have 5.1 or quad mixes, the next thing I know I've bought albums by artists I never would have bought a cd of just because it has a surround mix! Still I must admit that most of these have introduced me to discs I now love, the jury's still out on NIN :)

24. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Apologies, the Po info is the same as Storm's and is in Mark Blake's book.

Nick just says 'the awful truth is that the image of the pig was stripped into the final cover later on, because the best image of the power station, in a moody cloudscape, had been taken on an earlier recce day, when Algie was absent'.

I enjoy Nick's book, its a fun read but wouldn't treat it as gospel :)

25. joshm2286

joshm2286 Forum Resident

I'll buy a remaster if it's a 1CD/ DVD set with the album on one CD and live show 5.1 on second disc DVD and live show pro shot or audience filmed. Pictures of the band in studio, live from era and 1977 promo pics in a booklet with essay about album and live show.

makedatmusic likes this.