Farewell to OPPO Digital

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SamS, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Postercowboy

Postercowboy Forum Resident

2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thanks for the suggestion :)! The Primare BD32 Mark II looks like it's based the Oppo 103/105 platform as it has an HDMI input and two USB inputs. Very nice.

Primare BD32 MKII Multi Format Blu Ray / CD / SACD Player

3. Postercowboy

In all honesty, I have the strong impression you are not remotely interested in answers. Just one example:

Do you seriously expect me to answer to this one?

4. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

But only from files, not from streaming, so no go on Tidal MQA

tmtomh likes this.
  5. quattroatl

quattroatl Forum Resident

was let down by Magnolia at Best Buy where my paid order did not show up last week as promised. I cancelled my order and called other Magnolia stores around town and got lucky today. Someone returned their 205 after finding out that Oppo Digital was closing shop. I purchased the 205 as an “open box” item for $1000 plus $80 tax. The unit appears new. The music gods have taken care of me.

Fred68, SandAndGlass, Pizza and 12 others like this.
  6. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Well, I hope when my Oppo eventually breaks down it will not be too hard to find an equivalent priced machine that can handle a Roku stick, plays SACD, DVD Audio, has an incredible slideshow capability and interface, can perfectly read my 3 Terabyte "My passport" storage device and play the Proshow data files I've filled it with. I've tried to find good slideshow ability elsewhere, but it always came back to Oppo.

tmtomh and audiomixer like this.
  7. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Sweet! Great deal, and glad you got one.

8. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Deals on Oppos hardly ever not get any better than that! Congrats!

tmtomh likes this.
  9. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

tmtomh likes this.
  10. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

It is a BDP-103 clone with a better power supply and few bucks in different/upgraded parts with a fancy case that costs more than three times the price of a 203! And this my friends is exactly why people are panic buying OPPO 203s!!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  11. Isaac McHelicopter

Isaac McHelicopter Possession is a clue but not the game.

When set to Auto, mine always defaults to PCM. I only use the stereo analogue outs, so I don’t know what it thinks it’s connected to that requires PCM rather than DSD. As Bill Mac says, it’s probably best to set the output to DSD.

tmtomh and Bill Mac like this.
  12. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Man, I feel Low, with my puny Sa-50. ;) John M.

5-String likes this.
  13. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I think this sort of comment really doesn't help and demeans what Primare achieved (they are a well respected mid/high end hi fi company with a long, unblemished, record of providing excellent audio equipment). Their player maybe based on the Oppo drive, as are the Cambridge and Pioneer players, however, it is not a "clone" as there are very few similarities after that point and the player achieves it's objective of providing, imo, superior sound for more money. That is what Hi Fi industry is! Whether or not it represents value to you is for your wallet and ears to decide and for those paying over the odds for their Oppo 205's then I think the Primare is a far better choice (as long as 4k is not a desire).

It should also be mentioned that the development costs for a small hi fi company have to be recouped and they will sell far fewer units than Oppo so this has to be taken into account when they are pricing their equipment (no different from any other company).

The Primare mark I
    [​IMG]
    The Oppo 105
    [​IMG]
    That is not, imo, a "clone"

14. mongo

mongo Senior Member

scobb, no doubt the Primare has extensive differences from the 105 but I'm guessing its MSRP was quite a bit higher than the 105, like 3x.
    That's fine with me as I view all purchases as a Price v Value proposition with the Value parm having many properties.

tmtomh likes this.
  15. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

In my posts I have not suggested that the Primare is better "value" at rrp. I have said that, imo, it's a better sounding player and if you can find it on sale somewhere (or second hand) far below rrp then it becomes a real choice. I then gave some real world examples of Primare sales. There is even a brand new one available now from the old Australian Primare distributor for $2,570 AUD where the rrp of the Oppo 205 is $2,200 AUD here in Australia. The Primare comes multi region and that upgrade is about $200 on the Oppo. Hence the, real world, cost difference is not that great. Primare BD32 Blu-Ray Player MKII Titanium BD32MK2(T) | eBay

I do not know if the Primare can be found for a similar cost in the US?

16. mongo

mongo Senior Member

scobb,
    I think it may be common knowledge that pricing for certain brands varies wildly between economic entities.
    While SONY pricing may be dictated worldwide, Oppo & most other brands are not.
    The EU and Oz have VAT or GST or a combination.
    The price I found for the latest Primare player in the EU minus taxes was just over $4200 USD.
    An Oppo-205 is $1299.
    With rounding that is a 3.2:1 price differential so my guess of 3x was close enough for me.

We all live in different parts on this planet and what makes sense for you may not for me.
    In any event, to each his own.
    I know which path I'm taking.

tmtomh likes this.
  17. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

The Primare BD-32 MK I (pictured above) was actually based on an Oppo BD-93. The MK II was based on an OPPO BDP- 105. On closer examination their machines are not clones. They are more like a very significant mod. Doesn't matter anyway. When OPPO stopped making the 105 they stopped making the BD-32. They don't even make a universal player anymore.

tmtomh likes this.
  18. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

This is what the innards of a OPPO BD-93 look like. I think the kinship to Primare pictured above is easier to see, including all the upgraded parts on the Primare![​IMG]

scobb likes this.
  19. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

You are 100% right that that is a better image to compare to the Primare and I think shows that they bare very little resemblance to one another. The video circuitry is the same, as is the DAC but the entire analogue chain for stereo and multi channel are proprietary to Primare.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Billy Budapest and Diskhound like this.
  20. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It would likely be more relevant to compare Oppo 205 with Primare mk II innards. I would expect the digital processing sections to look similar if both based on MediaTek platform. Obviously Primare do a lot of work on analogue section and power supplies. Obviously would expect quite a big sound improvement for the extra £2000 but with digital differences are often subtle. As pointed out small company plus low volume adds to expense. Was surprised to see the Primare was still available - last HQ universal player standing? If I was mainly digital rather than vinyl would have considered this as a one box solution. BTW I didn't think MkI did Blu Ray?

21. Postercowboy

Comparing prices only makes sense within a domestic market. In the US you buy an AP SACD for $30 or less. In Germany you pay €38, almost $48. No discount codes here either.

I bought my Cambridge CXU in Germany for little over $800, brandnew, region free for DVD, but not for BR.
    The Oppo 205, region free, would cost me about $2,400 over here. That’s almost THREE TIMES the price. So much for the Oppo ‚bargain‘.

The current Sony 1000ES multiplayer costs under $500 in the US, but about $1000 in Germany. Also, in the US you can easily get around the sales tax. In Germany, VAT is 19% and for consumers, there is no way around it.

For the nitpicks: Calculations are based on an assumed exchange rate of €1 = $1.25

22. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Oppo 205 were £1500 in UK discounted to £1400. Sony 1000ES were £750. Both sold out most places but you can still get an Oppo 203 for £650. At 1.16 Euro to £ - Oppo 205 , 1740 Euros and Sony 1000ES 870 Euros. So makes sense for anyone in Germany to buy from UK while still an EU member. All this stuff will be cheaper when we leave EU. I think we may have more box sellers that get better terms as well as £ not being as low value as some would have you believe.

23. Night Version

Night Version Forum Resident

Quite true. Perhaps more the longer term outlook on mid-tier audiophile products versus global mobile phone leadership aspirations.

24. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I was going to buy an extra USB Wi-Fi adapter for my 105Ds because I've had one go kaput in the past. I dont see any available on the site anymore. Anyone try another generic adapter with any success?

PoetryOnPlastic likes this.
  25. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

WOW!!!

The Primare looks like it was put together by an 11,th grade high school student.....
    The OPPO inside is just a thing of sheer Beauty!!!

Incredible construction.
    Beave