Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I agree that Power and Message would have been good choices but they were also looking for "Hendrix approved" tracks so STP and Highway Chile fit the bill which makes the exclusion of 51st Anniversary even more puzzling.

2. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Sometime in summer 1970, Jimi wrote a note to "get the tape of Highway Chile". Nobody knows why he wanted it, but I suppose that is one of the reasons why Kramer decided to include it on War Heroes. Anyway, i do believe that Jimi originally meant the multitrack tape. When Chas Chandler gave the tapes to EH, Kramer finally got a chance to remix it to real stereo to include it on the Purple box set.

slane likes this.
  3. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Not on the US Smash Hits, as some have already stated.

4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Maybe they figured most fans already had it as it was previously released in the US as the Hey Joe b-side; neither STP or Highway Chile had a US release in Jimi's lifetime. Of course Stepping Stone/Izabella were also issued as a single in Jimi's lifetime, but in limited capacity.

slane likes this.
  5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

One of the books says they forgot about it or it would have been included since it had not appeared on lp in the U.S.

I've always wondered why somewhere along the line no one reissued a version of Smash Hits which combined all of the songs from both the U.S and U.K. versions.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    andrewskyDE and DTK like this.
  6. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Yes, and one of Jimi's worst songs, too.

7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Well it's a goofy b-side, but I love it. The searing guitar solo, the cool riff that can barely be heard in the background, the break down between the opening vocal part and the main part, the spoken dialogue.

funkydrummer and thrivingonariff like this.
  8. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

"STP LSD" is a fun "freak out" song. The remix (Loose Ends and South Saturn Delta) placed the guitar solo up front and boy, it's fantastic.

Jimi sure came up with some bizarre things: "Little One", "Three Little Bears", "Taking Care Of No Business", "Calling All Devil's Children", "Cherokee Mist" (sitar version), "EXP", "Belly Button Window" ... there's a crazy compilation to be made there!

9. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I mentioned on another thread it'd make a cool SACD

Layer 1-Track version in mono

Layer 2-Reprise version in stereo

As a regular reissue, all 16 tracks would fit on one CD. The 1989 CD reissue got close, it added 51st and Highway Chile, then they dropped them for later issues.

John Fell likes this.
  10. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I had that at one time. Not sure where it is now. I guess I must have traded it in.

11. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

What would the track listing be ?

12. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

No way !! :( Love it !!

13. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

Yeah but the irony is that mere fact is somewhat telling of this release don't you think?
    I mean, it's been out for a while now and I haven't exactly seen a plethora of reviews so.........

14. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

I for one think this has been a great thread.
    It got contentious there for a while but the "Topic" was doomed from the start.
    This IS a Jimi thread after-all. :shh:

Maidenpriest likes this.
  15. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

I hear ya. There are some aspects of it that I can dig, but as a song---and Jimi was a remarkably good songwriter, unlike the other guitar greats---it's weak, a novelty item. But, yeah, as PJ says, it is a "fun 'freak out' song".

Rooster_Ties, Purple Jim, DTK and 3 others like this.
  16. funkydrummer

funkydrummer Forum Resident

It is possible to take the longer boot version - OOPS it - and create a nice instrumental version of it. Actually I have thought that (perhaps Belly Button Window aside) the collective First Rays material was lacking in terms of humour, which was always one of Jimi's most attractive traits.

17. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

That CD had one of the rareest formats ever CD+G. Very cool videos for each song if you can find a player to vie the CDG. I bought the. CD with the extra tracks when it came out in 1988 and I finally figured out how to watch the video content in 2010
    I beleve. This CD is still easy to find at good prices and well worth it. I think the sound is great too too so all around a great package

18. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It was. Dolly Dagger and Astro Man are pretty humorous too; the latter is even silly :).

funkydrummer and crozcat like this.
  19. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

That’s the one I have, and I still have yet to see the videos! I wish that had become the standard edition.

20. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

What song is STP?

21. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

The Stars That Play With Laughing Sam's Dice

22. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

The Stars That Play with Laughing Sam's Dice", also known as "STP with LSD"

Cultural Note for the youngsters:

Drugs of the 60''s for $500.00

STP
    2,5-Dimethoxy-4-methylamphetamine (DOM; known on the street as STP, standing for "Serenity, Tranquility and Peace") is a psychedelic and a substituted amphetamine.

LSD
    Lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), also known as acid, is a psychedelic drug known for its psychological effects, which may include altered awareness of one's surroundings, perceptions, and feelings as well as sensations and images that seem real though they are not.

Ingesting any of the above is know to enhance the listening experience of The Stars That Play with Laughing Sam's Dice.

Your mileage may vary.

FYI:
    Back in the day we would play LSD-STP with The Beatles Revolution 9.

23. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Honestly, not being a big fan of Hendrix, these last pages, where very little is said about BSOTS, interest me less and less and I'm getting tired, I think I will soon get out of this thread...
    ...and the irony is that as soon as my LP copy arrived, my amplifier died, and, up to now, I haven't yet listened to it ..so I can't say nothing...ahah!

Fox67 likes this.
  24. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

What you folks need is the CD+G Museum. Yes, it exists, and yes, the CD+G videos from Smash Hits are viewable here:

The CD+G Museum

25. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

Isn't this cd no-noised?
    I've read the archives and it seems all of them are but would like to be wrong about that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.