2018 Nominees for Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I have no idea about either of these things.

But I watched a video of Richie and Orianthi onstage being interviewed not that long ago and she looked mortified by his rambling "funniest drunk at the bar" behavior. Maybe it wasn't that recent an interview, I don't even know how long he's been with her. But his interview on the red carpet of this weekend's event was the same boorish kind of uncomfortable act. I have trouble believing he's sober.

2. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Most like being recognized for past accomplishments.
    Being inducted is usually accompanied by a boost in back catalog sales.

3. Michaelpeth

Michaelpeth Forum Resident

Increase in sales is fair enough, but I just cant see why anyone would think a HoF (for anything not just music) is a good idea.

somnar likes this.
  4. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

+The Zombies and Nina Simone as an additonal non R & R honorary member

Kevin55 likes this.
  5. zen

zen Senior Member

True. I'm guilty of buying a couple collections because the artists were inducted. Wanda Jackson comes to mind. I just wanted to hear what I've been missing....
    however, I sold her compilation cause I couldn't take her voice.

6. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Bon Jovi is a weird guy. He's had the best life he could have possibly had, but he's still so angry about not being taken more seriously.

somnar and SizzleVonSizzleton like this.
  7. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

And Richie was definitely plastered.

@ :16

SizzleVonSizzleton likes this.
  8. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Even though Don Henley hates Don Felder The Eagles induction was nicely done. Everyone was civil and they all played together in i believe was 1998.

longdist01 and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

felder was in the eagles until the early 00's

10. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Agreed. There are quite a few classic bands that I think a lot of younger people wouldn't know if you asked them, "Ever heard this band?" But play them some songs and they would recognize quite a few of them, and I think the Moodies fall into that category.

Besides, I am not sure how much that matters. Nirvana is a band everyone knows by name, but how many songs do they have that the most of the masses will recognize? Maybe 5 or 6?

11. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

No, there is not. He should count his blessings that his band got in. I know he sells a bunch of records to soccer moms but no way is his band in the same league as the Moody’s, the Cars or Dire Straits. These are bands that were different, took chances- not pump out rock anthems.

12. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Not that I am much of a Bon Jovi fan - I like maybe 10-12 songs - but from 1986-1989, they were about as big as any rock band (u2, Def Leppard and Guns N' Roses being in that conversation as well), and when you consider how many acts are in the R&RHOF now, if you are one of the dominant bands of nearly half a decade, you are getting in.

13. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Looking at all the inductees- what the fujk do Tupac, Etta James, Joan Baez, among others have to do with rock? Yet my Carpenters still aren't in?

14. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

10-12 songs, I can't even name 4 songs they did... dude, you're a fan.

MekkaGodzilla, footlooseman and Murph like this.
  15. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

16. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

I know. For 3 or 4 years they churned out some fist pumping tunes , sold a bunch of records , tried to be profound on occasion and now they’re in. Good for them. I am mildly amused that no one takes him seriously- it must piss him off.

17. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

5 or 6 - how about 1 at this point,and I don't think most would know the title anymore

ianuaditis likes this.
  18. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

The moodies? One hit wonder? They just zero radio airplay, tv, or anything and they haven't for 20 years, but it don't mean they are a one hit wonder

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Could never take him seriously- I think it was the nice guy, people magazine sexiest man thing, it just didn't convince me he was the Cowboy wanted Dead orvAlive persona he wrote about.

How many guys like him? He's there for he gals, he's no ac/dc

20. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Stick to football John.

21. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

He didn't put out one great album; he's not a trailblazer, an innovator or an original; he isn't a great singer, musician, songwriter or live performer. And I can't even think of one band or artist who copied him or was even influenced by him. He wrote a few catchy songs that people who don't follow music really like. And most of his song titles are virtually the same as better songs by far superior artists.
    And the worst part is I keep saying "he" when the whole frigging band was inducted.

22. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Considering this list has rap artists and Kraftwerk still isn't in, I'm fairly certain that's mostly how they pick and choose - there's no way in hell Genesis would have even been considered if Invisible Touch wasn't a thing. Let's be realistic. It's the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for people who don't genuinely care enough.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  23. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Oh it does; when Axl Rose came up in an interview once, Jon was going on about “people keep talking about him and he hasn’t put out an album in this many years and I’ve done this and I’ve done that.” Guy wants to be seen as a musician. Bitch, get over yourself, you’re basically the equivalent of Brett Michaels.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    LittlePearl and Murph like this.
  24. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Bon Jovi is the Craig Biggio of the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame.

JAG, George Co-Stanza and Murph like this.
  25. RicZ

RicZ Forum Resident

Makes you wonder what one considers a one hit wonder these days.
    Even if a band has multiple hits like the "Moody Blues", besides "Nights in White Satin" they also had "Question" in the U.K., and in the U.S. besides " Your Wildes Dreams" , "Gemini Dream" and "The Voice" were top 20 hits.
    Only the song that is best remembered like "Nights in White Satin" would count?

As fans of these bands let's just be glad they made it to the hall of fame.
    I find it a bit silly to argue which band deserves to be it more the another.
    Not a big Bon Jovi fan, but there is no need for me to rain on the parade of his fans.
    And I am glad the Moody Blues made it.
    No need to argue if they are deserving it or not.

Vic_1957 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.