MoFi UltraPhono phonostage... Sound quality?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dogpile, Mar 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firehead

Firehead Forum Resident

I would agree the output is not towards the warm side. As someone would likes the warm sound does not mind the quality and sound from the Mofi pre-amp. I am impressed with the increased clarity and separation in instruments and vocals.
    Very happy with my purchase. I can only image the improvement once I upgrade my TT.

Heckto35, MikeJedi and bluemooze like this.
  2. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Very interesting - I need to check this out. If true, this means I have had the filter activated every day since September 2017 " :)

3. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I like the way the StudioPhono sounds.. I’d say it’s pretty neutral and sounds amazing in my system. My def techs are warmish sounding speakers so maybe that’s why I like the way they interact

bluemooze likes this.
  4. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

May I ask where you ordered from? I'm thinking about getting one as well, and would prefer a Canadian source. (PM if you prefer.)

5. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

I have the same issue with mine: the subsonic filter is engaged when the button is NOT depressed. Otherwise, it works well and sounds amazing.

johnny q likes this.
  6. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

As a follow-up on this, I probably will not get a chance to check this out myself until the weekend. So in the meantime, I emailed MoFi asking if this is correct and if there is a known typo in the manual.

7. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Interesting! You can tell it's on, based on the speakers shaking or not shaking? Is there a difference in tone when engaged/disengaged?

As I mentioned in my post above, I emailed MoFi about this. I will also check it out for myself when time permits. A key find indeed :) I wonder if its a design issue or a manual typographical error.

8. JustGotPaid

JustGotPaid Forum Resident

I always use the subsonic filter. I feel everything is better defined when the amp in not trying to reproduce those sub bass frequencies. Plus when you have it cranked you don't have to worry about extreme woofer excursion from walking by the turntable.

Heckto35, dconsmack and johnny q like this.
  9. JustGotPaid

I found 2 sources up here. hifipro.ca in Montreal and executivestereo.com in Toronto.

10. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

I didn’t notice a change in tone. I did a needledrop of a 1kHz test tone so I could use the spectrum anylizer in Audacity recording software to not only see where my tonearm resonance was, but also to A/B the MoFi’s subsonic filter’s amount of rumble attenuation. I don’t think I would have discovered the button discrepancy otherwise. That being said, my tonearm’s resonance was at 8Hz and the MoFi’s subsonic filter reduced it by 20dB. So, other than the button position needing to be opposite of what the manual specifies, the filter works great and has no negative impact on audio quality in the audible range.

11. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Here is the reply from MoFi:

"
    Hi John,

Yes the first run of manuals was incorrect. When the subsonic button is in the “up” position it is engaged, when pushed down it is disengaged. Sorry for the confusion.

All the best,"

12. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I have a chance to buy the MoFi Ultra Phono in the near future. I would choose it over the Studio mostly because of the headphone jack. Had anyone compared with the Musical Fidelity V90 LPS? I have it and like it a lot. It's a $199 vs. a $499 so I expect some improvement but would like to know if anyone has the experience.

Heckto35 and clhboa like this.
  13. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

That’s weird. I’ve been listening with it up and I thought it was normal and sounds fine. I would wonder what would happen if I press it in ? Lol. Does the same thing apply to the mono switch ??

14. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

You're not supposed to hear the subsonic filter in action : that's the whole point !

More intuitively, the mono switch is engaged when the button is pressed down. Try it on a stereo record and you'll soon hear the difference.

MikeJedi, HiFi Guy and punkmusick like this.
  15. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident

I just looked at the manual online and it states something like "to activate the mono feature depress the button" and "to bypass the subsonic filter, depress the button" I take that to mean press the mono button down to activate it on mono records, and leave the subsonic button up to activate that filter. Kind of backwards and confusing, but I'll take it. My buttons on my Studio Phono are both always up for stereo records and mono one is down when playing mono.

16. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I just realized this recently with my Studio Phono w/r/t the subsonic filter. It looks like the current version of the manual online states to leave the subsonic button up to keep the filter engaged. I can confirm that the mono button needs to be DOWN in order for the channels to sum to mono.

I previously had this phono pre hooked up to my Yahama with my Signet/AT cart but have since switched it over to my JVC with the Stanton/Jico. I also increased the gain to 46db since the output of the Stanton is supposed to be only 2.5mv.

CBackley likes this.
  17. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

So, now that some of the early adopters have lived with these (the phono stage) for a while, are you still loving them? Anything picked up from longer-term listening?

I'm considering getting one of the headphone units for a second table (CA Concept Wood) and wonder if it would be a suitable match, and how it handles low-impedance cans like Sennheiser 650s.

displayname likes this.
  18. JustGotPaid

The more I listen the more it becomes transparent and I'm just simply enjoying the music. I don't have that lingering seed of doubt in the back of my head with this phono stage.

Heckto35, H8SLKC, punkmusick and 2 others like this.
  19. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I don't have the UltraPhono, but the StudioPhono, so no headphone amp with mine. I still like it a lot and my impressions are much the same as what I've posted in other threads.

If there is one complaint, I wish there was a slightly lower gain setting for higher output cartridges. 40db is a little much for my new Goldring 1042 which has 6.5mv output.

Heckto35, punkmusick and displayname like this.
  20. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Sorry took me so long to get back .. still really enjoy my studiophono. However I have actually started to notice that I am getting a little brightness .. not a lot. But seems to be more there than before. Then again it is a cleaner stage compared to what I have had before so there’s that it might’ve been there the whole time and now I am noticing it more ! I still think it’s overall a great stage .. great bass especially in the lower octaves. I have been listening to an even wider range of stuff lately. Ymmv. That’s my take. I am not sure there is anything better out there for the money ...

Heckto35 and displayname like this.
  21. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

Anyone compared either of the MOFI’s with the Lounge?

Heckto35 likes this.
  22. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

I'll have both the Lounge LCR MKIII and the MoFi StudioPhono in-house for comparison within a few days. I'm probably one of the least qualified members here to give any sort of review, but I'll do my best. At the very least, I can relay which I decide to keep.

H8SLKC, mikeburns and displayname like this.
  23. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

If you have ears and the ability to comment on what you hear and what you prefer, you are qualified to review. I just think it’s important to provide your system and your preferences for context.

H8SLKC likes this.
  24. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

Thanks and.....will do.

25. mikeburns

mikeburns Forum Resident

Very interested in your comparison as well! The Lounge LCR mk3 seems to be the budget level phono stage to beat. I wish the LCR had a mono switch, though I expect Robert could probably do one if you asked.

Carter DeVries and 33na3rd like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.