Hello, fans of Ocean Colour Scene...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Feb 3, 2017.

1. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

nah. just the melody of the first line. other than that they aren't the same. to me anyways. and yeah, this is cheese whiz.

2. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

3. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I ended up finding a new copy of their RSD Live at the Hydro picture disc for a decent price.

I almost wish I didn't buy it... the performance and the recording is fine, but the vinyl pressing... yeesh! It's one of the noisiest new records I've ever heard! Even for a picture disc it's bad. Good thing it's a live recording and I can pretend the surface noise is audience noise.

4. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

So of course, right after I get the horrible sounding picture disc, they announce a white vinyl and a CD edition of the Hydro show...

They're wrapping up some shows in Dubai and Australia, after which, they should starting early work on a new album... finally, as even if it came out today, it would be the longest they've gone between studio albums.

5. marazico

marazico Too Busy Staying Alive!

I seen them in Fremantle and they were appalling. Mr Fowler was pissed and just couldn’t be arsed. Seen them loads of times in the past and they were always excellent. A bit excited to be in OZ maybe and it was the day Gay marriage was approved so maybe not a coincidence.

6. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Yeah, I've heard of another show where they were too drunk to perform properly - think they gave a refund for that show.
    Surprised he'd get so drunk for a show in another country though. At his age, over 50, he needs to tone that drinking down. Or cut it out altogether - especially if the rumors of him being an alcoholic are true.

7. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I can't be the only person who likes Hyperactive Workout. (But apparently so :wave:)

8. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Saw them a few years agoi at Manchester Academy. Very polished live, but I guess they were all sober! They were touring Hyperactive Workout, which I like too.

9. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Looks like Marchin' Already is gonna get a nice new 2LP release for RSD next month - but UK only.

So, UK members... can you buy one for me? I swear, I'll pay you back!

btltez, andybeau and jon9091 like this.
  10. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Link please:)

11. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Here, from NME, in alphabetical order by band name.

Nielsoe likes this.
  12. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I’m gonna have to find a way to get one of those. :thumbsup:

13. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

ME TOO!!

14. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

More info on the release...

Ocean Colour Scene - Marchin' Already
    Format: 2LP
    Label: UMC

More Info:
    Exclusive green-coloured heavyweight vinyl for Record Store Day 2018. Number one album released September 1997. Housed in ‘wide-spine’ double LP. Two printed inner bags with photos etc. The single Hundred Mile High City was used in the film Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. Nodding a reference to northern soul, P.P. Arnold appears on Travellers Tune and It's a Beautiful Thing. Three top-10 singles - Hundred Mile High City – UK 4 / Better Day – UK 5 / Travellers Tune – UK 9

Ocean Colour Scene - Record Store Day

Wonder how limited it's gonna be...

andybeau and btltez like this.
  15. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

probably very limited I would think.

16. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Well if Moseley Shoals is anything to go by it’s gonna be rather limited I’m affraid. I was lucky to find one of those in a local record shop for a little more than 20£ long past RSD. Man, I’m getting desperate to get one. Marchin’ Already is a great album!

17. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

I was able to get the Moseley RSD shipped to me for 25£ a few days after it's release date - I forget if it was through ebay, or through a UK retailer like Rough Trade or Beggars Banquet.

btltez likes this.
  18. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Jeeze, just the pre-orders for the Marchin RSD release are going for around $100 right now.
    Wonder if there will be a cheaper glut of them available after RSD...

19. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I hope so and also I don’t get it: why make them in such limited quantities when the demand is higher...?

20. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

My oh my!! Can’t believe my local shop had this for RSD here in DK! It’s in my collection now and will report back regarding the sound...

andybeau likes this.
  21. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Keep us posted.

22. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

When I first started discovering music for myself in the mid 90s, there were two bands that I really adored - Queen and Ocean Colour Scene. They don't really sound alike but there are similarities. Both were hugely popular but unfashionable at the time. Both have gay lead singers...

I did go right off OCS when I heard that dopey 'No Profit In Peace' song in about 1999.

With all of that, I didn't get around to buying an OCS album until last year - Marchin' Already. No, it hasn't reinstated them as one of my top bands. But I still think 100 Mile High City and Better Day are amazing.

Nielsoe likes this.
  23. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Profit In Peace is from One For The Modern which was released two years after Marchin Already so I suppose something else set you off :). Anyhow, I agree about Profit, it’s not my favourite song of theirs, but the rest of One From The Modern is just stellar. It really is a great album and I’m hoping it will see a RSD release like it’s two predecessors.

24. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

It says that this new RSD vinyl of MA was newly remastered - not that it ever sounded bad, but I never heard it on vinyl, so I'm looking even more forward to hearing this now.

25. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I might get a chance to crank it tomorrow and then I’ll report back. The RSD of Moseley Shoals sounded very good so I’m hoping the same is the case with this one. Thus far I’ve only listened at fairly low volumes and it seems like a nice sounding record but as you know this can change at higher volume so I don’t want to post any verdict yet. What I can say though is that the green vinyl looks mighty nice!