Wes Anderson Isle Of Dogs March 23, 2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by clashcityrocker, Sep 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

yeah I love wes but have no patience or interest in animated.....or is this stop motion? I don't know why, I just zone out midway thru. I tried with mr fox but it left me cold.

Michael Rose and John Moschella like this.
  2. Funny, as I thought it was one of his better films - a nice break from his cavalcade of precious dioramas. Ironically, the characters seemed more real than most of those he's portrayed since Rushmore.

Anyway, I usually give Anderson's films a shot so may take this in, pending a bit more due diligence.

mikeyt, TheVU and Crungy like this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Stop motion" is still animation - it's just not drawn like "traditional animation"...

the pope ondine and TheVU like this.
  4. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Wes Anderson recently said that he saw a road sign for Isle of Dogs years ago and that was the start of the idea for the movie.
    I saw it yesterday and was thoroughly entertained. I am a fan of Wes Anderson's other movies, so I may be biased. The settings were creative and marvelously detailed fantasy and the combination of different animation types (eg. the main movie itself, TV news reports, technology (web cams, etc.) ) was unique. Interesting story line as well, interesting how some of it manages to parallel the current times (I'd have to Gort myself if I say more).

mikeyt likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

If you Gort yourself too much, you'll go blind!

stereoptic and John Moschella like this.
  6. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

I assume this movie is so named so that when said aloud it sounds like "I love dogs."

Groovy likes this.
  7. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

It's okay not to like Wes Anderson. Not all of his movies are they best thing to hit cinemas.

At least every one is worth a shot. The Life Aquatic is worth watching annually.

8. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I saw this today and loved it. I can honestly say I have never seen anything quite like it. I loved the combination of very high tech and very old mechanical/analog. I love that Yoko Ono’s hair clips were periodic table squares for yttrium and oxygen!

9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Just got back from seeing this and really enjoyed it. Maybe it ran a bit long, but I was never bored. Imaginative animation, and I liked the retro-tech feel. It was like Japan from a 60's Bond flick. One thing I missed because of the two ladies down the aisle who wouldn't shut up and kept talking as if they were in their ****ing living room,

Did Mayor Kobayashi die in surgery from donating the kidney? Is that how Atari became Mayor?

10. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Kentucky Fried Movie (1977) has the "Isle of Lucy" joke as well.

Oatsdad likes this.
  11. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I saw it Sunday and really liked it.

Moonrise Kingdom is still my fav.

12. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

These are the stone-cold classics for me:

Rushmore
    Royal Tenenbaums
    Life Aquatic

Diminishing returns for the rest of his library

George P likes this.
  13. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

For me, it wasn't his best. Not as funny, more sentimental. Amazing to look at, as I'd expected. It's really a lot of western clichés stitched together (in many ways).
    Ed Norton had a bigger piece of this one and his earnest character was pretty funny.
    Did anyone else find some unintentional political undertones here?

I have to admit that anytime the pug character was onscreen, I was hysterical.

14. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

It was good. Like all Wes Anderson movies. Surprised at the dislike for Fantastica Mr Fox expressed in this thread. I’d say that’s one of his best. My personal favorites are Life Aquatic and Darjeeling Limited.

DHamilton likes this.
  15. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I really like Mr. Fox a lot, more than I Of D. Never got the love for Life Aquatic, it's not my favorite by far.

16. The Hud

I am going to go see this tonight before it is out of the theaters. I have been too sick to see it earlier. There aren't many showtimes left, so I am guessing it didn't do very well.

17. Oatsdad

It's at $21 million US, which = the total run of "Mr. Fox", so I don't think it can be called a real disappointment. Factoring in inflation, I suspect they'll both end up with similar grosses.

I don't think anyone expects Anderson movies to make money. His biggest "hit" made $59m in the US, though apparently that film - "Grand Budapest" - made $115m overseas as well.

That seems shocking. Anderson isn't a filmmaker whose work feels like it'd travel well, and none of his other movies made more than $25m outside of the US.

Is there some logical reason "Budapest" did so much better with foreign audiences than any of his other movies? Because it's set in Europe? :confused:

18. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Saw it last week. I really enjoyed it.

19. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

From an animation fan's point of view, I'd have to say it's the "anti-anime". I think what I liked most about Mr. Fox was the casual attitude of the characters; did Mr. Dahl proud in that. I think Anderson hit his stride with Budapest and Moonrise. Somehow he got from "waaay too precious/quirky" to "ooh, can't wait for what's next" without aliens flying in and saying, "We like the earlier, funny ones".

20. The Hud

Just got back from the theater. I liked the movie, but I was hoping for more of a comedy. The animation was very cool, and I really liked the sound design.

I am looking forward to the eventual Criterion Collection BD, but we need Grand Budapest Hotel stat!

mikeyt likes this.
  21. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Would children enjoy this film? I have a 3 year old.

22. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Hard to say. It could be entertaining for kids, although most of the political references will go over their heads. However, I think a 3-year old would be too young for the vocabulary and parts of the story itself. Nothing visually shocking, though--the fight scenes are about as scary as a Road Runner cartoon. That said, it's not paced for kids the way Disney/Pixar movies are, so don't be surprised if he/she falls asleep.

driverdrummer likes this.
  23. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

You could be right. I'm assuming it's a play on words regarding the area of London, England known as the Isle of Dogs. (It's not an island but a neighbourhood surrounded on three sides by the Thames.) Anderson then created a story about an island where dogs are sent.

24. The Hud

Possibly, it's not a kids movie, though.

driverdrummer likes this.
  25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Why no, I didn't find any of them "unintentional" at all. :D

Saw it tonight. Yes...Oscar Season has officially started. A plea to Disney / Pixar : do not even THINK of releasing ANYTHING this year with a princess, or showtunes, or John Ratzenberger as a pig, or musical-loving trash compactors! I won't HAVE you taking any air out of the room, because this one deserves all the buzz it can muster (I was there for you on IPO Day, Lassiter...now sit. down...).

So many things right on so many levels! The typical Anderson precious precociousness somehow doesn't jump out at you in "Wes Andimation" features, to its' credit. There was nothing about this movie that was juvenile, or stooping to make "Mom, Dad and all the kids"comfy; this was pure story, never winking towards one target demo or another. This time, the grownups get a story about privilege, honor, discovery, and the laughs aren't at the funny, funny characters: but what these honestly-motivated characters do.

All the bemusement you get staring at Moonrise Kingdom's storybook quality, takes a back seat to tight, ernest storytelling. The director hauls out a whole 'nother set of narrative tools for this one. You don't root for yourself being entertained; you root for the plot, and the pure, "what-happens-next" propulsion of each twist and option that presents itself. This is simply a movie that hangs together of its' own accord, you don't have to bring your cynicism or snark along with you to have a good time with it. Rare enough in movies these days, let alone Wes Anderson's "cinema du sinque kitchien".

I'm an animation enthusiast, and the stop-motion didn't show off, didn't insist I slow down to take a gawk. I had to keep up with the pacing and expository, just like everyone else. Who DOES this! Stop-action so intricate and well-designed (Michel Gondry, are you taking notes?), it doesn't bother showing off...just gettin' it done is a feat in itself. I almost (almost-!) didn't have time to wonder if it was originally staged for 3D - it felt like it - but I sure hope they make enough on this to risk a conversion for a blu-ray release (INSTANT buy! :wave: ).

In short ( :biglaugh: ), I had a nice time at the cinema this evening...and once more I feel sooooo sorry for those who look at another Fast-n-Furious-Fest on the marquee, decide there's nothing for the grownups in theaters anymore, then brag that they don't go out for movies now.

Doctorwu and jkauff like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.