Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Pelleas und Mellisande, Gurrleider

bruce2 likes this.
  2. StarThrower62

The original is a string sextet. And there is an orchestral version on DG by Von Karajan.

3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

4. StarThrower62

5. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD BBC Legends BBCL 4254-2) 2008 .... recorded "live"November 1970 @ Queen Elizabeth Hall, London .... Shura Cherkassky was a master and often at his very best in live settings .... at this occasion he finds his way through a subtle Schubert Sonata D 959 and an iridescent Schuman Carnaval Op. 9 .... belongs definitely to the highlights of the BBC-Legends series ....

crispi, Wes H and George P like this.
  6. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the reminder, I have been revisiting my D959 recordings and forgot about that one. I treasure every one of my Cherkassky CDs.

7. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have the CD but am still trying to get to like it ...

8. George P

I understand.

It clicked for me right away.

9. StarThrower62

10. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

The death of physical media keeps me buying instead of pruning. Today's you-gotta-be-kidding get was the complete Beethoven piano sonatas by Ashkenazy on London for $15 shipped. With actual jewel boxes and outer box, that's basically the shipping charge.

No, I didn't need yet another Beethoven piano sonatas cycle, but at the prices classical box sets are going for, it seems almost insulting to scroll to the next offering.

I hope I live long enough to appreciate this windfall . . .

11. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my Schumann collection ...

[​IMG]

rockerreds and George P like this.
  12. coopmv

There recordings were originally released in the 70's and I have the LP box with very similar cover art ...

13. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my Haydn collection ...

[​IMG]

ShallowMemory and George P like this.
  14. coopmv

Now playing the only Schoenberg recording on CD for a second listen ...

[​IMG]

Now on my second listen with an open mind, I am actually starting to like Verklarte Nacht a bit more. :righton:

15. George P

Glad to hear it!

16. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my Liszt collection ...

[​IMG]

vanhooserd and J.A.W. like this.
  17. George P

Man, you're on a roll! :wave:

18. coopmv

I actually have more recordings by S. Richter than by any other pianists and yet most of them have never gotten beyond one listen ...

That is a problem with classical music collection on a broad front instead of being more narrowly focused.

19. George P

Or, put another way, you have a reference library of wonderful music that will provide you a lifetime of enjoyment!

20. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my Beethoven collection for a second listen ...

[​IMG]

George P likes this.
  21. drh

drh Talking Machine

I imagine a lot of us are in that boat. I know I am. In the last month, though, I've been doing something about the insuperable pile of unplayed records: I've been residing in the world of acoustic recordings, those made before the microphone entered the picture. Lots of opera arias and some songs; a little instrumental, not by a long shot the "main" category of "classical" music recorded in those days--the prima donnas and leading tenors, as the most glamorous of the glamorous, ruled the roost then. Funny to think that operatic greats like Geraldine Farrar and Enrico Caruso were rather like the rock stars of their day (and that, a generation or thereabouts later, the top tier conductor would take their place). Anyhow, the ears adjust readily enough to the limitations of the technology, and there's some truly inspired music making to be had from those old records. It's been fun to make reacquaintance with some old friends and, maybe more importantly, to explore some disks that have gone unplayed in my collection for as much as a quarter century. Or a quarter of a year, for some of the more recent acquisitions. Speaking of which, off to unpack and play my latest: Elisabeth Schumann singing Connais Tu Le Pays? from Act I of Thomas's Mignon (but sung in German as "Kennst du das land").

crispi, Bubbamike and George P like this.
  22. George P

There was a time that I wouldn't even listen to anything unless it was a stereo recording. Luckily I had a music teacher who got me to listen to the early stuff. I have slowly worked my way back to the dawn of recording, finding so many gems along the way.

Eigenvector likes this.
  23. George P

[​IMG]

Been listening to Chopin a lot lately. Tonight, enjoying the Ballades from this set. Much better recorded than his set on EMI.

crispi likes this.
  24. coopmv

Do you have the following EMI twofer with Gavrilov in piano duet with Richter?

[​IMG]

Wugged and George P like this.
  25. George P

Yes, I also have volume 2.