Finished Deadwood, Lost, Mad Men.. What's next?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Jan 2, 2014.

1. keoni

keoni Senior Member

This is well worth checking out. Brilliantly off-kilter. Best thing on television in my opinion.

[​IMG]

alexpop likes this.
  2. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thanks for the Longmire recommendation earlier in this thread.

I just finished the entire run. Being sick with an awful flu that turned into pneumonia had me laid up in bed for like 2 weeks, so Longmire & Friends kept me company.

I almost bailed on it after Season 2 though, it was too single-episode-crime-solving storyline driven for my tastes, I'd rather watch something with the focus on characters with long storyarcs, but it shifted to that around S3, then really took off. I think there was a change of direction in the show, perhaps coinciding with it being canceled on A&E after S3 then moving to Netflix in S4, and I think the episodes became about 15 mins longer too.

I thought the show was not without its flaws, and not on the same level as shows like Deadwood, Mr. Robot, Fargo, Breaking Bad, Dexter, Battlestar G, The Shield, Justified, Game of Thrones, The Wire, etc but I still enjoyed it very much. Outstanding case with great acting and for the most part very strong characters to root for (or against). LOVED the final episode, especially the closing scene of the series, despite there being some holes in that episode you could drive Ferg's Trans Am through.

And it gave me a new favorite line to answer the phone with: "Hello, it is another beautiful day at the Red Pony Saloon and continual Soiree"....

I heard you guys mention "Banshee" as a similar type of show but more intense? I might check that out next while waiting for some other shows I've been watching to start their next season.

Also, if anyone liked Longmire and wants to see a more stark and violent crime story set in the same locale of present day Wyoming on an Indian "res" I recommend the movie Wind River. Some of the same Native American actors from Longmire are in Wind River.

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Just started watching this.Does it get better season 2 ?

4. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

That depends on your definition of better I guess. To me - yes. It evolves. It becomes very much about other things than just earthmen vs. those "evil nasty cylons". Bunch of weird curveballs get thrown in. Worth the ride IMO but I know some people who didn't like how it changed over the seasons.

Scotian and alexpop like this.
  5. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Holy crap! I just got through the first season of Banshee and am totally hooked. Thx for the tip earlier in the thread.

The characters are for the most part almost comic book caricatures (especially the bad guys) but I'm finding it to be an almost non-stop ultraviolent thrill ride (with heavy doses of gorgeous gratuitously naked women and sex scenes - in the best possible way). Already this show has had not one but two fight scenes to rival the epic battle of Roddy Piper and Keith David in the movie They Live - which I believe was also re-enacted in an episode of South Park btw - and I can't help but wonder how much of these fight scenes use the scene from The Live as inspiration.

Nice seeing a show with a totally flawed "hero" (he is not really a hero at all, just a "bad guy" who fell into a "good guy" role of sheriff who thus plays him totally against the grain yet somehow wins his deputies' respect as time goes on anyway). A town filled with secrets/a lot to discover/many badasses all colliding - kind of like a David Lynch show but without the super weirdness (I love Lynch weirdness though btw).

Just the first 10 minutes of this show was an unbelievable roller coaster in itself. If you like crime type shows with crazy action and over the top characters like evil bad guys who try to invent new ways to be evil (an amish super creepy crimeboss!!) this show might be for you.

alexpop and Brenald79 like this.
  6. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Do you have the DVD/Blue Ray with the Banshee Origins extras that correspond with each episode? If you have those or can find them on YouTube I would recommend watching each Banshee Origins episode along with the show. Each is about a 5 min with background info of the characters and the town.

slipkid likes this.
  7. alexpop

Banshee was the best tv series/ discovery I found since Lost in 2011( yeah ..late for the party ).

slipkid and Brenald79 like this.
  8. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I don't know if you're watching it but The Terror is the best thing I've seen in awhile.

9. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

If you like Banshee, check out Quarry!

10. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yes thanks, I rented the DVDs of Season 1 from the library (going to pick up S2 tomorrow btw) and I watched all the extras like the origins. Cool stuff. Liked the way they had them organized sequentially into things like 15 years ago, 10 years ago, etc etc.

Btw, something unexpected that I did not realize until one of the last episodes that I saw - then when I found out I made sure to go back and watch all of these - is that at the END of every episode AFTER the credits finish there is about a 30 second extra scene at the end of each show!! Some of it is just cool but not essential but some of them ARE essential for what looks like some intense stuff that might be coming up eventually yet were not covered AT ALL in the shows! Nice surprise there.

Brenald79 likes this.
  11. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thx I will have to investigate that once I finish Banshee....

12. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

I watched the first two seasons of Banshee on Amazon. Now I will have to go to Cinemax to watch the remaining 2 seasons. So I will go for the one-week freebee on Cinemax as soon as I know I'll have time to watch those 2 seasons w/i a week.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  13. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Where does Banshee rank all time for you?

14. alexpop

Consistency ? Bettter than The Wire.SOA,
    I would give it a 8/10 rating.

15. alexpop

Blu Ray box was cheap.

16. alexpop

Think Banshee was even better than (high octane action )The Shield, and equal to the first 3 seasons of 24. Below first 3 seasons of Homeland.

10/1o series?
    Breaking Bad
    Game Of Thrones
    LoSt

9/10
    True Detective
    Leftovers
    Sopranos
    MAD Men

17. The last season of The Shield is awesome, awesome stuff. One of the best seasons of any show, but you really had to invest watching the entire show for it to really hit home.

slipkid and alexpop like this.
  18. alexpop

Walton Goggins hits a home run on that show. Shield? Had the DVD box( not the special big complete DVD box) ..have to seek a blu ray version if it's available.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    slipkid likes this.
  19. alexpop

Since 2011, I watched a back-log and current shows( at the time).The best one is still + worth repeats, Breaking Bad.

20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I don't think you can directly compare the two shows any more than you can compare apples and oranges. I loved them both (The Shield moreso), but they're very different animals. Banshee is more like a stylized comic book, while The Shield is a more realistic police procedural/drama.

slipkid likes this.
  21. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Watched one episode, did not make me want to watch more.

22. alexpop

I had the same problem with Justified.:hide:

23. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Once you got to suspending disbelief, it was quite a fun ride.

slipkid likes this.
  24. alexpop

Banshee
    Noticed Lili Simmons/ Rebecca was in Bone Tomahawk.

25. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Not my style of thing.