Ultimate HQCD (UHQCD) - new CD format, King Crimson on UHQCD and more

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toilet_doctor, Aug 10, 2016.

1. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident

On the write up on cdjapan it says cds come in "slim"cases any ideas,cannot see them being in cd single cd cases .

2. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

Probably using the same first generation safety copy.....

dkmonroe likes this.
  3. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Do you have a MQA decoding DAC?

4. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Yes. It's the bloody Beatles. Shut up! :agree:

5. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I'm interested in some titles if they are flat transfers from the original masters.

6. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

Love Google's translations. :laugh: This is the entry for Steely Dan's The Royal Scam

Steely Dan - Fantasy skyscraper

In addition to the traditional LA, we also performed a session in the local New York. Rock and fusion are exquisitely blended in the fifth work, which is a solid, rock-colored work with outstanding individual guitar play by Walter Becker, Denny Dias, Larry Carlton, Elliot Randall and others. (Announced in 1976 / master of 2018).

Contents

01. Hero to be destroyed (Kid · Charlesmain)
    02. Altamira cave warning
    03. The last outlaw
    04. Crazy town
    05. Even though there are no Turkish hat
    06. Green earrings
    07. Haitian divorce
    08. Betrayal's lady
    09. Fantasy skyscraper

7. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I think that the sentence "Only on this forum there are [people interested] who buy into this [new edition of questionable provenance but impressive titling] is perhaps closer to ultimate reality.

8. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

That is indeed the issue. Whatever value such a process may have for streaming over the internet it is a giant step backwards once again.

9. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

If "McCartney" appeared in the thread title, this topic would be out to 134 pages.

10. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

at least lol

Say It Right and SirMarc like this.
  11. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

I sure got tired of waiting for the SACD.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  12. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

I'm just here to see how long it takes before someone asks about Buckingham-Nicks....

EDIT...dang, too slow...

Say It Right likes this.
  13. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Wow! A new title. Wonder what tape sources? Tape transfer done in US or japan?

14. Postercowboy

Postercowboy Forum Resident

CD Japan is now listing the complete line of 100 titles as pre-orders:

CDJapan : Search result by mqa

The Oppo 205 has added MQA decoding with one of their firmware upgrades, so if you are a 205 owner, you can release the ‚full potential‘ of MQA. Not that I noticed a single title that has not been repeatedly released in at least once hi-res version before...

Not that it matters much, but once these are actually out, it would be interesting to hear if there is indeed any improvement over the existing SACD or BR-A version.

Any Oppo 205 owners here willing to make a test buy?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  15. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I have an Oppo 205 and ordered 4 titles that have the new 2018 mastering. I'll report back after I get them.

Crimson jon likes this.
  16. inperson

inperson Senior Member

That's basically almost everyone here :laugh:

17. Postercowboy

Great. Looking forward to that.

Until then, can someone here give a BRIEF explanation what the big improvement of MQA is supposed to be? The resoluti0n of 176.4/24 is actually a tad lower than the better BR-A at 192/24, so what is it?

vertical likes this.
  18. Postercowboy

True. But, take Herbie Hancock MAIDEN VOYAGE for example: If you are a completist and you want all 50 volumes in the series, the AP SACD is a must-have. That I can see.

Over the last year or so, this album was also available on japanese BR-A, with 192/24 resolution (which does sound terrific, btw). While this was still on sale for under $12, an SHM-SACD came out for just under $40, and now we are seeing the same thing yet again in MQA format for close to $30. Again, all within one year.

I have been guilty of upgrading in the past, and I also bought both stereo and mono versi0ns more than once, but even for me, there is a limit.

Fortunately, my Cambridge CXU can‘t decode MQA, so it‘s easy for me to skip this one.

19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

But will the 205 have MQA disc playback capability? The Oppo site says "The UDP-205 includes MQA technology, which enables you to play back MQA audio files. MQA is an award-winning British technology that delivers the sound of the original master recording. The master MQA file is fully authenticated and is small enough to download." But it doesn't say anything about MQA disc playback.

I just sent Oppo an email asking if the 205 will have the capability to play and decode MQA CDs.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  20. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Thanks Bill, let us know. I was thinking of grabbing The Royal Scam since it was never released in SHM-SACD. I also wanted to see if MQA is a royal scam. :)

Shvartze Shabbos and Bill Mac like this.
  21. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

CD is dead..?

My CD player doesn't seem to have been informed.

Curveboy, Dave and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I already preordered the Royal Scam disc ;).

Shvartze Shabbos and ti-triodes like this.
  23. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Ha! I knew it. :D

Shvartze Shabbos and Bill Mac like this.
  24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I had the Royal Scam SHM-SACD preordered at cdjapan back in the day before the release was cancelled. I was very disappointed to say the least :shake:!

25. Postercowboy

Mine is supposed to ship tomorrow. I think I got a good deal on it, and the ebay classifieds ad sounded totally legit. I usually don‘t do this, but this time I felt ok to pay by Western Union.

marcb likes this.