Lost TV shows

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Apr 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

A thread for the musical side of this discussion:

Great Lost Performances

2. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

No problem! That was one of George Pal's Puppetoons. They are certainly not "lost," but have become somewhat obscure and sometimes difficult to see. By the way, a selection of them (including this one) are on Blu-Ray:

The Puppetoon Movie Blu-ray Review | High Def Digest

3. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

Ah, domo arigato gozaimashita!

4. torcan

torcan Forum Resident

John B likes this.
  5. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

6. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

GET-TV ran through the series several times over the last few months, although they skipped a few episodes which we have from the USA or HA run.

7. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

L.A. T-Birds roller derby from the early 1970s. Later versions are sprinkled on YooToob, but not those of the episodes I viewed back in the day.

8. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I wouldn't put the show TOPPER in the "lost" category, but I'd love to see it lovingly restored and released at least on DVD.

9. James Slattery

Almost all of the great Roller Games (not Derby) from the heyday of the late 60s to early 70s is gone. Wiped or degaussed by Bill Griffiths. Pity.

Andrew likes this.
  10. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I looked up Pixanne. I never watched it, but I have heard of it. And like Winchell-Mahoney Time, how sad is it that a show could continue to air in syndicated reruns well after it was out of production, and still at some point become lost forever. It was airing on WFLD-Channel 32 in Chicago as late as 1973. Of course, that's a heck of a long time ago.

Off topic (since these are not lost), it fascinates me that syndicated shows on color videotape from the 1960s could have aired on local stations as late as the 1980s or 1990s. There were two sets of the syndicated Bozo The Clown shows (produced in 1965-66 in Boston) released on DVD. The show itself is no great classic (I say that as a Chicagoan, maybe for obvious reasons) but they are fascinating to see. But the DVD sets are frustrating. One show from Volume 1 is repeated on Volume 2. (130 were produced.) They are in some kind of random sequence with 1966 shows appearing before 1965 shows. They are just listed as "Show 1" through "Show 30" on both sets, with no info about the real original episode numbers, and the Bozo cartoons are mostly unidentified by title.

But they are cool to have.

11. James Slattery

What still survives many times is just random. The kinescopes of games 6 & 7 of the 1952 World Series somehow survived whereas NBC tossed out all of the rest of their baseball kines from the 50s and 60s. Mickey Mantle's 500th HR survives because an engineer at WPIX clipped it off the 2-inch and saved it. There really has never been any planned preservation effort by the networks, the studios or individual stations. 30 Lloyd Thaxton Shows exist randomly out of the 800 or so that were produced, and no, not because of them being important guests. Just blind luck as to which ones made it. The rest were donated for tape stock.

12. James Slattery

Lots of filmed shows which went into public domain, one would have a hard time putting together full runs of. Shows like Janet Dean Registered Nurse, Beulah, The Beachcomber and Dr. Hudson's Secret Journal for instance but there are dozens more.

13. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I watched Pixanne a lot when I was 3-5. She just passed a year or two ago; the wife and I both had great memories. It was one of those local shows that had no budget and existed 90% on the versatility and talent of the lead.
    Years ago, Pixanne told a great story about the day that the day the person who operated her 'flying' wires was out sick and someone else had to substitute. You can guess what happened. She wished above all other eps, that a tape existed of that one.

Morton LaBongo likes this.
  14. JozefK

Mary Poppins was first brought to life in an early television play telecast live in 1949 by CBS television, as part of their anthology series Studio One. She was played by character actress Mary Wickes. E.G. Marshall portrayed Mr. Banks and future Lassie child star Tommy Rettig played Michael. David Opatoshu played Bert, who was a Match Man (a seller of matches) in this version.​

While a number of Studio One productions are circulating, I don't believe this Mary Poppins has been unearthed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Uncle_Lou, fr in sc, JohnO and 2 others like this.
  15. Steve...O

Steve...O Forum Resident

Mary Wickes would have been wonderful to see in Poppins. What a terrific talent who endured and endeared through the decades. Loved seeing her pop up in the Father Dowling series near the end of her career.

MarkTheShark likes this.
  16. Edotl

Edotl formerly Rick Goodkind

The Avengers: Series 1--Only a few episodes survive.

Out There (1951)--Did any episodes survive?

Tales of Tomorrow--Some episodes survived; some didn't.

USA: Music--1965 NET five segment series (Jazz Goes Intellectual, Musical Theatre: 20 Years on Broadway, Jazz: The Experimenters, Music Student, Working Musician

17. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

‘The Fugitive’ spoof, ‘Run Buddy Run,’ starring Jack Sheldon is one I’d like to see again.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  18. James Slattery

Not lost. CBS has them all.

19. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Effectively the same thing...

- Kevin

20. James Slattery

Depends on who you know. :shh:

21. JozefK

Re ABC Wide World of Mystery (1974-8):

The original tapes of most of these weren't simply lost, they were destroyed by their maker. Due to mounting inventory, the high cost of broadcast tapes and booming production (particularly of daily programming such as game shows and soaps) ABC decided in 1978 to engage in the practice of 'wiping' one last time. While it freed up space and provided much-needed blank tapes, the process of designating what programs would survive was rushed and many of ABC's trademark made-for-TV films (as well as the soap The Edge of Night) were cleared to reuse despite many being recent productions with no other copies in existence. For more info on ABC's Wide World of Mystery film series (which most of these films were produced for) I made a complete overview here:

ABC Wide World of Mystery: Complete film list

Some of these are likely gone forever and have been since those prints were erased in 1978. The final broadcasts of a few are so old they pre-date VHS and even Beta! Home tapes would have to exist on older formats like vx or U-matic!

Some among these had survived via syndication copies and/or kinescopes made for foreign airings but these have since disappeared. Undoubtedly, most homemade recordings of the older broadcasts have long since been lost or reused. Any scant few that somehow survived 1990s were likely victims of the mass "VHS purge" that started in the 2000s. Even . factory tapes were blindly tossed in the garbage on sight. Home tapes that weren't family movies or special events? I wish I could say I had hope.​

Jerry Horne, McLover and Steve...O like this.
  22. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

Some shows I think are lost. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't been able to find them, or good legit copies at least.
    • T.H.E. Cat - one of my favorites. My brother has what I consider a virtual bootleg. For some reason he told me he thought the production company lost the masters.
    • Seeing Things - Great Canadian Comedy/Mystery series.
    • Uncut Checkmate series - I have what appears to be a professional multi-DVD set, but clearly some episodes are from 3/4" tape and most/all appear to be edited for syndication (extra commercials). Too bad, because it's such a beautiful, ambitious series.
    I'm sure there are others, but these are ones I long for.

23. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

These wouldn't technically fall into the "lost" category. As explained in the thread's first post, an episode or series is lost when there is no record or trace of the original. It was either destroyed, deteriorated over time, or totally misplaced to the point where no-one knows where it is.

I'm sure that T.H.E.CAT is still around somewhere in some vault, so someone knows where it is. And obviously if CHECKMATE has a release or is at least in syndication, then it's not really lost either.

But I understand what you were conveying, as I did the same earlier in the thread by mentioning TOPPER with Leo G. Carroll. That series also has some chopped up public domain episodes released into home video, so it's not really "lost".

24. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

This one is alive and well. Shows of this vintage don’t get lost.

25. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

With you. I remember it, barely, as a kid and would love to see it again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.