The best versions for each David Bowie album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Jul 10, 2017.

1. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

Although I knew most of Bowie's '69-'80 work having borrowed a friend's vinyl collection and taped them when I was a student, Scary Monsters aside, which I won in a competition, it wasn't until the Ryko/EMI reissues that I decided to buy them. By then the RCA CD releases were long out of print and if I remember this correctly, it was reported that Bowie wanted it that way because of them not coming from approved masters - Bowie experts please correct me on this. So the Rykos were my introduction to these albums proper, ignoring my SM vinyl and tapes of everything from Ziggy to Lodger. For that reason I never hear the deficiencies in the Rykos that get reported on here and I love most of the bonus cuts. I was gutted though when it dawned on me that Holy Holy wasn't the real deal! Having bought most of his catalogue several times since (the Anniversary sets and box sets in the main) I'm not that desperate to own the RCAs to be fair and therefore will never offer any opinion on them other than what I recall being reported on them at the time they dried up around '87.

I don't have the '99 remasters except for HD which I picked up for £3, mainly because I was happy with what I had and they contained nothing new (and in most cases less than the Ryko editions) and again with at least 2 or 3 copies of almost every album in his catalogue I don't have the inclination to track these down to offer an opinion on them. I suppose the people that really don't care for them had bought earlier pressings on vinyl and CD and I can understand them saying negative things about them if they didn't equal or surpass what they already have. I feel the same about music that I first heard on vinyl and which subsequent remasters come nowhere near to matching. So I readily take those opinions on board

I like the look of the recent boxes and Heroes and Low aside I don't have that big an issue with the sound of them so they tend to be the copies I play these days. However I understand some minor editing faults affect one or two of them so in time I may revert back to earlier versions. I'm still waiting for my replacement Heroes disc as I assume most others are?

Interesting thread and thanks in particular for Karmaman for his input.

2. zenarrow

zenarrow Forum Resident

It just gets so dang confusing at times with the 1E/2E 6E/4E first uk pressings for me anyhow. Mainman credits etc.

Probably wrong info I quoted, but I just want a really good sounding copy of Ziggy.

Price isn't too much of an issue, really.

3. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

2012 remaster, also used on the 2015 Five Years vinyl set. Much lauded here and as near as damn it to a UK original (according to many on this forum). Mine sounds lovely.

4. zenarrow

zenarrow Forum Resident

Sweet now I might have all the reasons to buy the box set. Thanks

5. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

I had that Glastonbury Fayre set, mint and complete. It is one of many LPs that I regret selling. Wish I still had it.

6. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Just downloaded the original version from iTunes. Never heard it before. It's different enough to warrant a mention. What I can't find is the Mayor Of Sunset Strip version of All The Madmen for download anywhere. The actual CD comp goes for silly money on Amazon and Discogs. Is this also a different mix?

7. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  8. NightGoatToCairo

9. footprintsinthesand

Sure, still probably better sound than most recent picture discs

10. NightGoatToCairo

Didn't buy those... I still don't have a copy of Blackout - Live, from the last release. I've not had a turntable since 1991! I have bought a few vinyl albums in the last 5 years so need to pull my finger out and pick one up.

11. NightGoatToCairo

Just checked Nicholas Pegg's 'The Complete David Bowie'*; same as the album version segued with live acoustic version. *Brilliant book.

12. footprintsinthesand

Same here, did however reconnect my old turntable with a preamp late last year and after a few minutes of speed adjustments it played like the last time I used it (early 90's).

13. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

the acoustic section is in abysmal quality, a hand-held tape recording. definitely not worth paying for.

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  14. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

Yes , I am impressed by the 2 you mention, Hunky Dory and Diamond Dogs, just as good as the original RCA pressings , I can't remember Ziggy sounding as good and Aladdin Sane was a notch below the original,but also impressed with Low & Heroes.

GyroSE likes this.
  15. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Which mastering was used for the 2CD 30th anniversary editions? (Ziggy, Aladdin Sane, Diamond Dogs)

For the albums (disc one) is it the 1999 ones or unique masterings for these editions?

And for the bonus tracks?

Same question for the 2007 Young Americans.

JoeWild likes this.
  16. Thelele

Thelele Forum Resident

1969 - Space Oddity [RCA PD84813]
    1970 - The Man Who Sold the World [RCA PD84654]
    1971 - Hunky Dory [RCA PD84623 or VINYL: RCA INTS 5064]
    1972 - Ziggy Stardust [VINYL: RCA AYL1-3843 or MFSL 1-064]
    1973 - Aladdin Sane [RCA PD83890]
    1973 - Pin Ups [RCA PD84653]
    1974 - Diamond Dogs [RCA PCD1-5076]
    1975 - Young Americans [RCA PCD1-0998]
    1976 - Station to Station [RCA PCD1-1327]
    1977-01 - Low [RCA PCD1-2030]
    1977-10 - ''Heroes'' [RCA PCD1-2522]
    1978 - Stage [RCA PD89002]
    1979 - Lodger [RCA PD84234]
    1980 - Scary Monsters [RCA PCD1-3647]

Accept no substitutes! Swap "Young Americans" title track with the one from ChangesOneBowie (JP), boost Station to Station by ~6dB, boost the right channel of Low by ~3dB, and you will have the definitive collection.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Carlox likes this.
  17. David del Toro

David del Toro Forum Resident

Oh man this forum made listening to music both a blessing and a curse. Sometimes i wonder what would have happened if i took the blue pill.

18. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

For Hunky Dory hunt down the EMI 100 vinyl. Your wallet will hate me, but your ears will love it.

GyroSE, Solace and David del Toro like this.
  19. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

BUMP!

Which mastering was used for the 2CD 30th anniversary editions? (Ziggy, Aladdin Sane, Diamond Dogs)

For the albums (disc one) is it the 1999 ones or unique masterings for these editions?

And for the bonus tracks?

Same question for the 2007 Young Americans.

20. David del Toro

What masters do the 2009 Japan SHM discs use? Ziggy sounds pretty good! Still iffy on Hunky Dory though. Are they the 1999 masters?

21. Tim Bexter

Tim Bexter Well-Known Member

Aladdin sane and Ziggy are 2003 Remaster on SHM-CD Mini Vinyl

Carlox likes this.
  22. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I agree. It's truly a killer soundwise....but very expensive if you want to get one today.

Solace likes this.
  23. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

Ziggy - 2002 (new), Aladdin Sane - 2003 (new), Diamond Dogs - 1999 (old). Young Americans was a new master.

TonyCzar, Carlox and bobcat like this.
  24. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Many thanks for that very valuable information!

25. David del Toro

Is everything else from 1999?