Rank the MCU movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mr. Grieves, Apr 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident Thread Starter

Haven't seen Infinity War yet, but this is how I'd rank em right now. Also worth noting that the only film I didn't enjoy was Thor the Dark World. Everything else I either loved, liked, or at least had fun watching.

1.) Winter Soldier - Honestly, I just can't get tired of this one. Cap has the best movies for sure of all the characters. Each one is great

2.) The Avengers - Maybe a little overrated, but watching it the first time was an amazing experience. It influenced so many studios into trying to do the same thing, and they even attempted to do the same with the Defenders, but I don't think anything sort of crossover will come close to being done as great as the Avengers.

3.) Iron Man - Downey went from has-been to one of the most paid actors alive & it only took this fantastic film to do it. Kick started one of the biggest movie franchises of all time. I love this movie a lot & watching Tony become Iron Man is great & memorable.

4.) Civil War - A Cap film that somehow still felt like a Cap film while they managed to introduce Black Panther and Spidey to the MCU while simultaneously serving as a better Avengers sequel than Age of Ultron. Excuted immaculately. Airport scene is a highlight of the entire franshice.

5.) Spider-Man Homecoming - Loved it. Best one since Spider-Man 2 & better than the first Spider-Man. Tom is great. It's a fun movie with great performances, an awesome villian, and a wonderful cast that'll have me returning for the sequels no doubt.

6.) Doctor Strange
    7.) Thor Ragnarok
    8.) Black Panther
    9.) Cap first Avenger
    10.) Iron Man 3
    11.) Gaurdians of the Galaxy
    12.) Age of Ultron
    13.) Gaurdians of the Galaxy vol. 2
    14.) Ant Man
    15.) Hulk
    16.) Thor
    17.) Iron Man 2
    18.) Thor 2

2. Mr. Grieves

*bump*

I'm interested in hearing the opinions of the members here

3. 1. Avengers: Infinity War
    2. Captain America: Winter Soldier
    3. Iron Man
    4. Captain America: Civil War
    5. Thor Ragnarock
    6. Guardians of the Galaxy II
    7. Captain America
    8. Guardians of the Galaxy
    9. Spider-man Homecoming
    10. Black Panther
    11. Ant-Man
    12. The Avengers
    13. Thor
    14. Iron Man III
    15, The Avengers-Age of Ultron
    16. The Incredible Hulk
    17. Thor The Dark World
    18. Iron Man II

I actually think the three Captan America films (one of which featured the Avengers) are the best of the bunch.

What’s amazing about Winter Soldier is how well the Russo brothers and the writers created a 70’s thriller as a comic book movie. Casting Robert Redford was brilliant.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  4. Mr. Grieves

Agreed 100%

Also gotta mention just how great Chris Evans is as Captain. He's as irreplaceable as Downey is imo.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  5. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

As I've told my YouTube content producer friend, when it comes to The MCU (or really, any franchise with a lot of films), I don't rank; I organize into tiers. They're arranged by release date.

First Tier
    Marvel's The Avengers
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Spider-Man: Homecoming
    Thor: Ragnarok
    Black Panther
    Avengers: Infinity War

Second Tier
    Iron Man
    The Incredible Hulk
    Thor
    Captain America: The First Avenger
    Iron Man 3
    Ant-Man
    Doctor Strange

Third Tier
    Iron Man 2
    Thor: The Dark World
    Avengers: Age of Ultron
    Captain America: Civil War
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  6. Mr. Grieves

Actually that's a pretty good way of putting them.

Man, is Civil War really third tier for you?

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  7. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

It should have been called SuperHero Pissing Contest; that's all I'll say online.

Zoot Marimba and Mr. Grieves like this.
  8. Mr. Grieves

Admittedly I wasn't a huge fan of it when I first saw it however nowadays I consider it one of the best. The whole Iron Man vs Cap thing on this film is positively minor compared to the comics version of civil War, but ultimately I found it interesting enough to warrant all the characters and what not

Zoot Marimba and mBen989 like this.
  9. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I already posted this in the Infinity War thread, but to bring it over here:

01. Captain America: Winter Soldier
    02. Guardians of the Galaxy
    03. Thor: Ragnarok
    04. Captain America: Civil War
    05. The Avengers
    06. Spider-Man: Homecoming
    07. Iron Man 3
    08. Avengers: Infinity War
    09. Thor
    10. Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2
    11. Iron Man
    12. Black Panther
    13. Iron Man 2
    14. Thor: The Dark World
    15. The Incredible Hulk
    16. Ant-Man
    17. Avengers: Age of Ultron
    18. Captain America: The First Avenger
    19. Doctor Strange

Doctor Strange is my least favorite and I give that like a 7 out of 10. I'm a big fan of the MCU. Great writing, great casting, great action, characters you can really love and root for and, contrary to what some naysayers write, there is a lot of variety in the films. They give the directors enough creative room to make their own thing while Kevin Feige oversees the grand plan and makes sure everything still fits together.

I absolutely love Captain America: Civil War. I thought the debate between Tony and Steve was highly emotional, while also making sense from both perspectives and challenging what you may have expected from the characters.

Zoot Marimba and Mr. Grieves like this.
  10. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Also pilfered from the other thread. I must confess to not having seen Hulk in many years so my memory may be off, same for Iron Man 3, I just remember liking it even less than 2.
    For me Civil War was great though probably would have been better without the big pile up/face off scene at the airport.

1. Avengers: Infinity War
    2. Thor Ragnarok
    3. Captain America: Winter Soldier
    4. Iron Man
    5. Captain America: Civil War
    6. The Avengers
    7. Black Panther
    8. Doctor Strange
    9. Guardians of the Galaxy
    10. Captain America
    11. Thor
    12. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
    13. Spiderman Homecoming
    14. Ant-Man
    15. The Avengers-Age of Ultron
    16. Thor The Dark World
    17. Iron Man II
    18. The Incredible Hulk
    19. Iron Man III

11. Mr. Grieves

I think Iron Man 3 is one of the most underrated movies in the franchise. I loved it, even if the villian left a little to be desired. Still, much brtbet than 2 imo.

Hulk was a great, entertaining monster movie, nothing more nothing less. Ed Norton was pretty great in it, as he is in most things. I would like to see Ruffalo get his own stanfalost movie, though

alexpop and Parachute Woman like this.
  12. Parachute Woman

I love Iron Man 3, which seems to be an unpopular opinion within the fandom. It was written and directed by Shane Black (Lethal Weapon, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang) and it feels like it. Wonderful character building, humor and quieter moments to really explore Tony Stark. I loved all the stuff with him and the kid in the Midwest and the Tony/Pepper relationship was done really well. It seems a lot of comic book fans hated how they did the Mandarin, but I don't read comic books so I just take the movies for what they are and I thought it was clever. It was a quirky, grounded film and I thought it was great.

As for Hulk, I agree that Edward Norton was great. I wish he would have stuck around but there were lots of creative differences. Unfortunately, Ruffalo will probably never get a standalone film because Universal still owns the distribution rights for Hulk so he can only appear as a supporting character.

Chris DeVoe and Mr. Grieves like this.
  13. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Winter Soldier, Civil War, first Iron Man and maybe the the first Avengers are the only ones I would watch again.
    Have not seen BP or IW (yet) but all the other ones are just 'meh' for me.

Ghostworld likes this.
  14. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    2. The Avengers
    3. Iron Man
    4. Black Panther
    5. GOTG Vol 2
    6. Guardians Of the Galaxy
    7. Spider Man: Homecoming
    8. Thor: Ragnarok
    9. Captain America: Civil War
    10. Ant Man
    11. Captain America: The First Avenger
    12. Iron Man 3
    13. Thor
    14. Doctor Strange
    15. Iron Man 2
    16. The Incredible Hulk
    17. Avengers: Age Of Ultron
    18. Thor: The Dark World
    Loved 1-11
    Liked 12-15
    Didn’t mind 16, I mean, it was better than the Ang Lee film at least.
    17 has it’s moments
    18 is forgettable for the most part

aussievinyl and Mr. Grieves like this.
  15. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

1. Captain America: Civil War
    2. Guardians of the Galaxy
    3. Thor: Ragnarok
    4. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
    5. Avengers: Infinity War
    6. Doctor Strange
    7. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    8. Black Panther
    9. Captain America: The First Avenger
    10. The Avengers
    11. Spider-Man: Homecoming
    12. Avengers: Age of Ultron
    13. Thor
    14. Iron Man
    15. Ant Man
    16. Iron Man 3
    17. Iron Man 2
    18. Thor: The Dark World
    19. The Incredible Hulk

1-9: I really enjoy these ones.
    11-15: I like theses ones, but they aren't in my top tier or have gotten old.
    16-19: I didn't like these or have forgotten them and feel no desire to watch them again.

Jim B. likes this.
  16. Parachute Woman

I rewatched all the films in the lead up to Infinity War and I have to say that I was again continually impressed by all the great content and character study included. I really watch and love the MCU for the characters. The action sequences are great, but I love this world because it is long-form storytelling (like television) done on the big screen, allowing the characters to grow, change and learn over the course of many years.

Steve Rogers, for instance, is an incredibly complex character due to the fact that he is a man out of time. They present him to us in his first film as an almost impossibly noble person with unending inner strength. Then they bring him to present day and they take everything he ever believed in (his government, his best friend, his values) and challenges them or snatches them away from him. And we get to watch and see how that plays out for him and how he butts against characters vastly different from him, like Tony Stark, who care just as deeply about the greater good but go about things in entirely different ways.

I think every one of these films has great content. For instance, Age of Ultron is a flawed film but I enjoyed it, especially for the character beats. Joss Whedon has always been brilliant at writing dream sequences that allow the viewer to explore the hearts and minds of the characters (see: Buffy) and he included one of his very best dream sequences ever in Age of Ultron. You can still go back and watch the visions Scarlet Witch gave the Avengers in that film and find more insight into the characters and foreshadowing for future films.

They may be popcorn entertainment, but I think they are popcorn entertainment of the highest order and never empty, mindless action films with no point.

Jim B. and misterbozz like this.
  17. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

First Tier
    Marvel's The Avengers
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Spider-Man: Homecoming
    Captain America: Civil War
    Black Panther
    Ant-Man

Second Tier
    Iron Man

Thor: Ragnarok

Avengers: Age of Ultron - a lot better than people say, almost made top tier for me. It really rewards repeat viewings, the story is great and really there is nothing poor about this at all.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - imo the most underated film in the MCU. I'm not sure if it was just people had too high expectations but this film is great and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. We get a far more deeper look at them all, the action and world building are great and it's funny and heartwarming. Perhaps in these characters story-arcs it will make a lot more sense being in the middle of GOTG 1 and Infinity War.

Thor

Captain America: The First Avenger

Iron Man 3 - another underated film imo.

Third Tier
    Iron Man 2

Thor: The Dark World - parts of it were good

Doctor Strange - OK but it didn't really hook me. I don't think they made you care about him enough and he went from brat to hero to easily

The Incredible Hulk - neither of the Hulk films are very good

18. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

I really loved Infinity War but want time to let it sink in before I rank with the others.

The top 8 movies are ones I absolutely love and can watch repeatedly and not get bored. The next group I really like but don’t have a desire to watch a lot. The third group I couldnt get into much. Cap definitely has the best movies of all of them.

The Avengers
    Winter Soilder
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Iron Man
    First Avenger
    Civil War
    Guardians of the Galaxy 2
    Spider-Man Homecoming

Age of Ultron
    Thor Ragnarok
    Black Panther
    Thor
    Doctor Strange

Iron Man 3
    Iron Man 2
    Ant Man
    Thor Dark World

19. Mr. Grieves

Ultron was kind of underappreciated, I agree. I thought it could have been better, but I thought Ultron himself was a great villan.

With Guardians 2, I was actually expecting it to be worse than what it was. I was pleasantly surprised, but for me at least, a lot of the jokes fell flat & it wasn't quite as good as the first one, though the ending was very poignant.

20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Spiderman

Ironman

Thor

Dr. Strange.

The rest were pretty much crap.

21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Watched that the other night, much better than I remember in 2014, better than II, though Iron Man (2008) i prefer.
    Shane Black who directed IM3, just did The Predator so it should have some high production standards.

Mr. Grieves likes this.
  22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

That's a great list, practically simpatico cept I not keen on Spider-Man.

Mr. Grieves likes this.
  23. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I just did a straight top 10:
    1. Winter Soldier
    2. Age of Ultron
    3. Guardians
    4. Civil War
    5. Guardians 2
    6. Avengers
    7. First Avenger
    8. Infinity War
    9. Iron Man
    10. Thor

And how about Non-MCU MCU? (Top 5):
    1. Logan
    2. Spiderman 2 (Sam Raimi Directors cut)
    3. X-2
    4. FF - Rise of the Silver Surfer
    5. Punisher War Zone
    Sixth Man: Elektra (Extended)

24. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

I’m agreeing with most of these top 10 rankings, however unlike some I would place Ant-Man in my top ten, due to the actors involved and the amount of humour.
    Iron Man 2 is great mostly because of Sam Rockwell, who never disappoints me.
    It’s been great following them, especially with the latest high points of Spiderman: Homecoming and Thor: Ragnarok, the latter having an approach which threw a lot of us for a loop.
    I never read the comic books, so I come to the movies fresh.
    I’ve bought most of the average ones used, such as the first 2 Thor movies.
    I find most have been enjoyable due to the top tier actors in them, which one never used to associate with these sort of films.

25. Mr. Grieves

Infinity War ranks high on my list, just not sure where exactly. Definitely top 5 for now at least.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.