What would you love to see from the Bowie archives released/re-released?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by talkingh, Apr 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. talkingh

talkingh Vibes Controller Thread Starter

Since the Thin White Dukes passing the slew of re-releases and un-released material seems to be almost weekly....wondered what you guys would still like to see released or re-released.
    Me personally would love a vinyl version of the All saints collection

Markyp likes this.
  2. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

I’d like to see an archive type of website, similar to what Neil Young has done, where Bowie’s music could be downloaded in high res, assuming availability thereof.

The same goes for some of his live performances, even if they weren’t released in the past. Who wouldn’t love a good quality copy of a Bowie concert they were at? Springsteen and King Crimson are doing this, to one degree or another. An artist of Bowie’s stature and catalog deserves at least as much.

Mike McMann, Colinjpush and talkingh like this.
  3. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Serious Moonlight tour on vinyl.

Funny how the album and tour was such a massive seller for him yet failed to follow up on a live album. The DVD of the Vancouver show is fantastic.

Totti is god, Colinjpush, jlf and 2 others like this.
  4. talkingh

talkingh Vibes Controller Thread Starter

think the next big bowie release might have that on it...the RSD lets dance 12" has a version from that show on it

Colinjpush and Mister President like this.
  5. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

Nassau Coliseum 1976 remastered properly.

A decent live album / dvd from the tremendous Outside tour.

Glastonbury 2000.

Glastonbury 1971.

The whole BBC Paris Theatre 1970 gig, only parts of which feature on the Bowie at the Beeb set.

6. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Ah Glastonbury 2000. I was there...good times.

Man at C&A likes this.
  7. villiers terrace

villiers terrace Forum Resident

Definitely this and the Earls Court ‘78 shows filmed by David Hemmings.

Colinjpush and jlf like this.
  8. The Freedom Man

The Freedom Man The Freedom Man

I mentioned this in another thread but I’d really like to see the BBC Radio Theatre, London, June 27, 2000 being released on lp.

9. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

sadly, we'll never see a complete release because it is impossible. the one track of that gig they didn't broadcast, "Waiting For The Man" is sadly lost. An official release of the edited broadcast, taken from Bowie's off-air tapes as an official bootleg would be great however. This is one of the finest Bowie gigs IMO. That version of Karma Man redeems the song for me. And judging from the bit of Buzz The Fuzz broadcast on the Life On Mars radio-documentary recently the tape sounds really nice (the Bowie at the Beeb versions are in fake stereo and suffer for it, although they're still better than the common bootleg).

I have my own edit which combines the officially released tracks with the still unreleased stuff from what i deemed to be the best boot source, which i have mastered a bit (as far as my skills can be called mastering). the first minute of Buzz the Fuzz is of course lossy-sourced, from the recent BBC documentary, but the quality upgrade is worth it.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  10. Dbstay

Dbstay Senior Member

Serious Moonlight on blu-ray.

Uber Super box set for Outside with all demos extras etc.

50th anniversary concert on blu-ray

11. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

12. Frittenköter

here's what i would like to see released:

Beckenham Arts Lab Demo 1969 (judging from the excerpts released here and there it sounds pretty good for a demo)
    Paris Theatre 1970
    anything that might exist live from 1971 in the archives
    Boston 1972 (this was professionally recorded and having heard the audience recording i can say that this would be a very nice release to have, as the setlist is quite different from Santa Monica; including "Round and Round", "Starman", "White Light" and "Lady Stardust"; also this was still without Mike Garson and so sounded quite different; Carnegie Hall was also recorded, but Bowie was very sick that day, so i think this should take priority)
    Vancouver Dress Rehearsal 1976 proshot master (great show, in spite of it being a dress rehearsal for the tour)
    Earls Court movie on Blu-Ray (maybe add the Dallas, Bremen and Tokyo videos as bonuses)
    1995 PROSHOT (at least one night was videoed for an official NIN/DB release which was scrapped; a half an hour workprint has since leaked out)
    1997 PROSHOT
    1999 PROSHOT (several shows were shot and scrapped)
    Glastonbury 2000 complete video
    Heathen tour live album
    2004 Reality Tour album (the setlist had changed a lot)
    complete demo collection
    complete BBC Sessions

also the Santa Monica 1972 gig was multitracked. i wonder if the multis aren't usable, because the radio mix really isn't that good, espeically early on.

13. mishima's dog

mishima's dog Forum Resident

iselect on vinyl

14. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

You can pick that up on red vinyl at the Brooklyn Museum. Will u pick one up for me as well please :)

15. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

16. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Leon Sessions
    More audio and visual live albums, especially from previously undocumented tours.
    Deluxe releases of the individual studio albums, remastered and compiled by a team who knows what they are doing [eg: Hoffman, Nic Pegg]
    A Bootleg Series like Dylan has been given.

17. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I really need a vinyl reissue of "Buddha of Suburbia" to finish my collection off.

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  18. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The audio of the 1980 Floor Show in perfect quality.

19. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

The video of the 1980 Floor Show in perfect quality.

20. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

How is the quality that was released? Someone here I thought said it was pretty good.

Khaki F likes this.
  21. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

The last version I checked was watchable, albeit in a kind of "bootleg quality" kind of way. It's a little chewed up looking... probably a VHS transfer that was enhanced, with some glitching here and there. Sound quality is passable. To give you an idea of the standards I'm comparing it to, the Santa Monica recording sounds pretty good to me for what it is, and the Ziggy Stardust film is rough, but as they say, "close enough for rock & roll". Sounds decent enough for what it is, but I've always thought the camera work could have been better. Still... when it comes to that era Bowie, you take what you can get.

22. Frittenköter

the finished version doesn't look too good, but watchable. the leaked raw footage (6 DVDs!) looks much better but still not as good as it could and should be. Plus it has a visible time code.

This video gives a good indication of the picture and sound quality (minus timecode, as this is cropped)

Derek Slazenger and Khaki F like this.
  23. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I've always thought the boot audio sounded pretty darn good. This video sure beats anything I had back in the day, but I think you totally hit it: it's not as good as it could/should be.

Ronno, are you bored?

24. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

It's a quality that I'd settle for, though. Detailed enough to make out the medallion on his forehead, get a good feel for the colors of the outfits, etc.

Any word of a legit release?

25. Frittenköter

so far no. i hope that they still have the multitracks. I'm not usually one for revisionism like that, but Ava Cherry's backing vocal should either be replaced or mixed out of the main mix, as long as they include the original audio as an option. It nearly ruins the best version of 1984/Dodo, which has a bite to it that all other versions lack.

tedg65 and Khaki F like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.