What would you love to see from the Bowie archives released/re-released?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by talkingh, Apr 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

For those of us who were around at the time, this is the show that brought closure to Ziggy-era Bowie, which is why I think it's significant. Also worth noting is that, in addition to The Midnight Special (which is what this is taken from for those who don't know) Bowie also made appearances around that time on two other US TV shows... Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, and another show simply called "In Concert". Both of those archives are long gone though, I'm assuming.

2. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

I have no idea what exists but there really ought to be a "making-of" or super deluxe type project, covering Low and possibly the other "Berlin trilogy" albums. I desperately want to hear outtakes and alternate takes, working versions, early mixes, home demos, rough versions before overdubs, early scratch vocals, any sketches or Eno sonic experiments that got left off the finished mix, etc. etc. It just seems almost impossible to me, to believe that there aren't a few tape reels of those types of things, laying around from the Eno period, unused and unheard. IF we had something detailed and in-depth for Low, resembling the Smile box set, or the Zeppelin super deluxes, with several extra discs of alternates, period photos, studio track sheets, etc., it would be a revelation for his fans, I'm sure. It's a worthy album of such a treatment.

3. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

the ABC In Concert was just a showing of excerpts of the then still-unreleased and unfinished Ziggy Stardust concert movie (including the 2 songs with Jeff Beck that weren't shown in the final movie). The rock concert (judging from the setlist) appears to be the Dallas 1978 promo film ("Hang On To Yourself," "Ziggy Stardust," "What In The World?" "Blackout" and "Sense Of Doubt")

as for the archives of the 2 shows, they appear to be mostly intact (if not completely), given the multitude of clips that have since surfaced. from all i've read it's more the licensing that is a problem for the artists.

If you haven't seen the Dallas footage yet, check it out! It's really good (if sadly only 20 minutes).

some of the songs have since been upgraded from a recent partial rebroadcast in Australia.

David Bowie - Blackout - live, Dallas 1978 (remastered)

David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust - Dallas 1978 - remaster / upgrade

David Bowie - Hang On To Yourself - live Dallas 1978 (remastered)

4. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Any live shows from the Outside-Earthling era.

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  5. Frittenköter

this was supposed to be released in the 1990s, but had to be cancelled due to legal issues.

longaway, 100423 and NightGoatToCairo like this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I’d just like his 70s albums all released on SACD or Blu Ray Audio. Then I can go to bed.

7. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Was it not shelved because Trent wasn't happy with NIN performances?

8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The 1980 Floor Show DVD.

A TV appearances DVD.

Anything else he recorded with Lulu when The Man Who Sold The World / Watch That Man single was recorded, if there is anything.

9. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I agree, although I have often thought they could release 1980 Floor Show as a bonus feature on a reissue of the Ziggy Motion Picture film (which itself should include the songs excluded from the original release).

I would also love more to be made of Mick Rock's 1972 concert footage. Although they might not necessarily have the audio to match the visuals I would be happy for some kind of montage in the same way they used Santa Monica audio with Aylesbury footage in the 90's.

Man at C&A likes this.
  10. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

As an aside, she was an utter creep when we met her in Puerta Vallarta Mexico in 1990....I was the only one who recognized her and she became almost belligerent about not wanting me to snap her pic and was quite stuck up...only was interested in talking when I mentioned her days with Bowie.....I recently came across the pic of her I snapped...well her turning away from me anyway.......biatch supreme.

11. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

I guess the physical music format is dying out but it's amazing we don't have any Bowie Blu-ray out there.

Halloween_Jack and Dbstay like this.
  12. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

I would love to hear the complete Boston Music Hall show from October 1972.......dribs and drabs have been released but we need the whole thing!

HoundsOBurkittsville likes this.
  13. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

Reissues of Black Tie White Noise and Buddha Of Suburbia

Official release of Toy.

Later period live albums, I'm guessing since the next box set will be the 80's, I wouldn't be surprised if next year they release a couple of live albums from Serious Moonlight and Glass Spider, one getting a wide release and the other a Record Store Day issue.

14. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

I was there a few weeks ago and there were none, and they said they hadn't been able to get copies for at least a month.

15. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I have a bootleg of the first night of the Earthling tour at the Hanover Grand in London. An official release would be great as it would highlight just how experimental he was in this period (even if it wasn't everyone's cup of tea).

Basically the first half was pretty straightforward renditions of songs, new and old. Then in the second half he played an hour long 'drum and bass' set which sounds a bit like what a 'Goldie remixes Bowie' album would be like!

TonyCzar and Zach Johnson like this.
  16. Frittenköter

btw i just listened to Toy for the first time. that's a great album. i'd love an official release. Shadow Man has got to be one of his best.

Halloween_Jack likes this.
  17. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Is his cover of 'O Superman' on that bootleg? I love that version.

18. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Yes it is. Sung by Gail Ann Dorsey. In fact it's on there twice. It was in the main set and reprised in the drum and bass set.

Zach Johnson likes this.
  19. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

To be honest the '78 rebroadcast material of Dallas, Musikladen (Bremen), Tokyo (?) sounds and looks better than most or even all officially released video (music videos included !).

Love You Till Tuesday video is forgiven (it's 60's material) and even lovely. The Ziggy Motion picture was never my thing, sounded strange, DB looked awful. I'd rather watch those early era Ziggy live b&w songs Mister Sussex put on YouTube.

Vancouver rehearsals could be good, but I doubt they'll burn bucks on fixing rehearsal footage.

Eighties video was still poor, 4:3 aspect ratio. Let's be honest: the Serious Moonlight dvd is total crap. Project manager: Nigel Reeve; audio remaster Peter Mew. This is a 2006 dvd production and Stage audio from 78 sounds ten times better. Video is crap quality, soft, colours are off. It looks and sounds like someone bought the 1984 vhs tape on eBay and Mew agreed to upmix Bob Clearmountain's original remix to 5.1.
    Dvd artwork is really poor, photography worse, songtitle stills are vhs quality. Only the dvd menus look new.
    Even the Ricochet concert footage shot by Maya Vision looks and sounds slightly better. They apparently shot shows at Bangkok, Singapore and Hong Kong at least. Plus after DB's passing Maya Vision released Imagine from Hong Kong '83 on YouTube. It looks and sounds better than footage on the SM dvd. So there are possibilities.

Glass Spider was more of the same, and Reality was okay, but could have been a lot better for 2004 standards.

What is needed is a team of dedicated true pro's in charge who start by digitising original raw footage frame by frame and sync that with pro audio. Pressing discs and distributing those would probably already be too expensive for the sales potential, so it's downloads or subscription. At this point it's like daydreaming, we're better off finding good quality broadcast material, like Loreley 1996.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  20. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Shortly after his passing, someone torrented up a 1080i version of that show.

What's up with Isle of Wight from the Reality tour? Three or four pro-filmed songs from that were available On-Demand on Comcast after he passed: IIRC, "All the Young Dudes" and "I'm Afraid of Americans", each outstanding achievements. Since Atlantic City wasn't filmed that tour, I Want This.

21. Frittenköter

they also filmed the Scheeßel gig (the last gig of the tour)

22. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Now I need these DVDs of which you speak :)

23. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

I've only seen Dudes from Isle of Wight, so anything is welcome. Of course there's Beeb 2000, Glastonbury, Montreux (with Low) and much more. I would love video from 74, 76, and any video footage from studio recording. But most of all complete shows from '95, '96, '97, '99 because of the diverse and great setlists alone. Plus 2002 when he sounded awesome, the NY boroughs tour ... yummy.

24. Frittenköter

here's what i have seen on video from Isle Of Wight:

aforementioned TV capture:
    I'm Afraid of Americans
    All The Young Dudes
    The Loneliest Guy
    "Heroes"

official Bowie youtube channels:

Sister Midnight

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  25. flashingnocolour

flashingnocolour New Member

Please let there be some Station to Station demos/extras! Particularly a studio version of Sister Midnight (DB's original version not the Iggy Pop one), love that song.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.