Massive Attack - Vinyl reissues 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by It's Felix, Sep 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

Will be heading out to grab Heliogland today, anyone have time to spin yet for pressing info and quality?

DHamilton likes this.
  2. 8bit Barry

8bit Barry Active Member

The cost of this in the U.K. is between £50-55 - This feels like a total money grab. and it's missing the vital third remix LP. My local store are in uproar and said they're refusing to stock this out of principal. Why UMC have priced this at over double the price their other rereleases, can only be concluded (without any further knowledge) as a MA / UMC cash-in on fans who have been desperate to add this to their collection. Have a look at the pricing of all the other general UMC reissues, literally all are less than £20, many of which are also double albums. I don't doubt it'll sound good, as literally all UMC reissues do, but at this price it's very bitter purchase for vinyl fans of this wonderful band, 28 page booklet or not.

johnnybrum and Marko K like this.
  3. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

How's it sound?

4. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

Mezzanine was a mediocre pressing, protection was a mediocre mastering, Blue Lines remaster was pretty good.

Heliogland so far is up there with pretty good, maybe it's my setup but less bassy than I remember the cd. Can't tell where it was pressed, but it does say made in eu. Doesn't seem to be GZ at least... the records are quiet and flat.

The packaging and book are top notch but the oversize jacket is going to be annoying and not sure if I will be able to re-apply the shrinkwrap as it's a triple gatefold.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    Marko K, dogpile and brimuchmuze like this.
  5. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

Totally agree.....thankfully, I bought this on vinyl when it first came out. Saw a copy in my local record store yesterday for £50. Because of the price he’s only ordered one copy.

I’m dreading the price of 100th Window when that is finally reissued. That’s the only one I don’t have on vinyl.

8bit Barry likes this.
  6. 8bit Barry

8bit Barry Active Member

Yeah its no doubt going to be the same if not more... the original is about the same price in NM condition. I am like you, I already own a copy of the Vinyl Factory pressed original Heligoland - that was £29.99 when it came out.... ok - that was 8 years ago, but it's as if the vinyl buying public is now prepared to put their hands in their pockets all too readily even for reissues of this level. Take out the analog tapes, remaster or do whatever work is necessary to justify the cost, we get that - but this product doesn't seem to justify anywhere this to me. For example - Mezzanine isn't a ridiculously expensive reissue -it's a double LP and remains less than £20....

Shpongle likes this.
  7. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

I bought the vinyl factory pressing too. I don’t think I ever played it because at the time my turntable was in my bedroom and it just wasn’t practical. Also, it’s not a great record and certainly the weakest if their output...

Are they not doing a new record? I’m sure there was talk of one when they did their tour a few years ago...

8. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

What record are you guys talking about? I pretty much never see used MA in our stores.

9. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

Picked up the new Heliogland reissue and it is a very nice pressing. Black quiet flat vinyl and spaced out on 2 Records. Not my favorite album by these guys but this is a quality sounding reissue and sounds a bit more open and dynamic than my cd. Don’t have an Original to compare too but would recommend picking up. Wasn’t too expensive either at around $ 29.

10. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

Yes....there were rumours of new album two years ago but apart from three 12” singles, nothing materialised but let’s face it.....that’s nothing unusual for M.A.

brownsound2112 likes this.
  11. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Hey, I noticed that Ad180 asked a couple of times if anyone knew how the new US pressing of Mezzanine sounded as compared to the excellent earlier UK one, but no one seemed to answer (I PM'd him, but he never got back to me...)

So, has anyone had an opportunity or read anything about comparing the two? The price difference for me here in the US is about double for the UK one. The UK one is spoken about VERY highly here and on a couple of other threads. I went ahead and ordered the US one for about $18 because if it doesn't sound that great I can send it back.

I wonder why Virgin had another remaster done just a few years later here in the US when they had such a great one done early at Abbey Road...? On Discogs, it shows the UK one as pressed in Germany, but the new US one shows a different engineer and it doesn't show where it's pressed, although the listing shows this new one for Europe and the US.

Any input would be great, thanks! :tiphat:

12. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

I bought that UK pressing from about 3 years ago from amazon.co.uk and it is a mediocre pressing. The mastering is great but my vinyl came dish warped and is overall noisier than I like to hear.

I was still glad to grab it at the time as it wasn't available in the usa yet. Fast forward to today and it's at all the record stores for much cheaper.

latheofheaven likes this.
  13. latheofheaven

Hey, thanks Bro for getting back to me so fast! You must have set a record mate :)

Yeah, I think I saw your comments earlier about that. I guess it was the mastering itself that most people seemed to be enamoured with.

Well, I guess I will just wait and see how the new US one sounds and go from there. I did check Amazon UK and I can get the UK pressing shipped here new for about $36 or so.

Thanks again! [​IMG]

14. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

My Mezzanine has a sticker on the back that says Made in Germany. Sounds excellent.

15. andres lira

andres lira Forum Resident

I have this one

Massive Attack - Mezzanine

And i like it a lot

16. latheofheaven

Thanks! It's nice for people to take the time to answer and help you when you need it :) At least that is what I always try to do. Funny how some people here seemingly cannot be bothered. It sure helps the community, though, when when we take the time to do so like above, thank you guys! :tiphat:

Sounds like the favourite is definitely the UK version. I guess I will just hafta wait until my US one gets here to see what it sounds like... and, I will indeed make SURE to come back here and give my impressions when I listen to it. That way what was asked before can hopefully at least have some additional input added...

Cheers! [​IMG]

17. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I have this version as well, and I’m happy with it. Is this the UK version or something different?

18. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

After all this time, I would have thought there would be more comments on the new Heligoland re-issue, rather than Mezzanine : )

19. latheofheaven

Yeah, that's the one everyone likes here. It was released about 2013 / 2014, I THINK in 2 pressings, both pretty much the same. Done at Abbey Road by Sean Magee I believe (who, although I haven't heard a LOT of his stuff, I honestly haven't been very impressed with his Rush stuff, regardless of what many say...) Whereas, the recent 2017 / 2018 US pressing is what I have coming in the next week or so, but it is a different master. So, we'll see...

***EDIT

I have to go back to Discogs and look, but I THINK the UK / Europe one you all have is pressed at Pallas, Germany, which IS a very good thing!

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    jason202 likes this.
  20. latheofheaven

True... but about 80% of this thread is taken up by talk about that one which makes up for it I guess... :) (that and Windows... Very frustrating to wade through all that with very little mention of Mezzanine [​IMG] )

But, yes, it's always nice if people, again, take the time to come back to threads and give their impressions of how the albums actually sound. I can't tell you how many times I've read through release threads here where people SAY, 'I just received it today. I'll give it a listen and report back...'

Uh huh... [​IMG]

Munros1969 and brimuchmuze like this.
  21. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

Got mine today from Amazon. Pretty disappointed given the exorbitant price... the inner of the first record was glued stuck inside the sleeve and the record itself was scratched. Played fine, and sounds good, but have requested a replacement. No idea why this was so expensive, I did expect way more for the price.

johnnybrum, latheofheaven and Marko K like this.
  22. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Are the inner sleeves poly-lined or paper?

23. latheofheaven

Sure am sorry to hear that mate... Since it was so expensive as you say, did you import, then from here in the US...? IIRC Amazon UK has it shipped free there in the UK for Prime members for about 25 pounds...? Did you in fact order the US one...???

Munros1969 likes this.
  24. Munros1969

Poly-lined sleeves.

Marko K likes this.
  25. Munros1969

Went for the UK release but will have a look at Amazon in the US as an alternative to the UK replacement... it is way cheaper. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.