Massive Attack - Vinyl reissues 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by It's Felix, Sep 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me Thread Starter

Mezzanine is one of the best sounding pressings I have. Man Next Door shakes the foundations...

JeffMo likes this.
  2. It's Felix

Yeah but H. Is 62£ on amazon UK. No body but a fool would buy that.

3. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Hmmm, that is SO weird... You are in the UK and yet buying from HERE would be less...??? Odd...

Well, mine came today (US) so I'm hoping that tomorrow I can get over to my listening room to check it out :)

Munros1969 likes this.
  4. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

I see a reissue of Heligoland on Discogs which is pressed in Germany (Optimal).

Can anybody tell me where the US release is pressed?

5. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

I think it's optimal; anyone can remind me what the deadwax would show?

6. 8bit Barry

8bit Barry Active Member

I have looked all over Europe and I am convinced that any sane prices were mistakes, or before retailers followed suit with ridiculous mark up. A discogs user bought it for €26 in Antwerp, so I got in contact with three shops and none of them had the release so I turned up nothing. France prices are around €60, same wit Germany and many more countries from online searches... there is no way of contacting the band, FB is disabled and they don't run their own twitter - I wonder if they have any idea what's going on... I'm certain they wouldn't be impressed.

7. latheofheaven

Dude, if you are talking about Mezzanine, Amazon UK has it for about 25 pounds, unless you are talking about another album...

8. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

:hide:

,,, although in my defence (I’m practicing this line in case my wife finds out) I have been waiting years to get this on vinyl. When I saw in this forum it had finally been released I jumped at it. I also expected some pretty impressive packaging but I was way wrong on that front. It’s underwhelming to say the least.

So yes, I’m definitely feeling like a major fool on this one. This release really shouldn’t be more than £25, at a push. By the time the replacement set arrives from Amazon (first set was scratched) I may yet have decided to send it straight back.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    latheofheaven likes this.
  9. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

He's obviously talking about Heligoland. This must be the biggest rip off price gouge of the vinyl revival so far. Don't buy it and they will have to reduce prices to move stock. I think it is probably the label that is selling it at a high wholesale price as there are no copies listed below £55 approx.

10. It's Felix

I'm totally with you - I would love it and made a special trip to HMV to buy it - then I saw it and the price - apart from a few sparkly glittery things on the sleeve - where did the price come from? Is it pressed on gold? Anyway I passed and bought Street Hassle by Lou Reed instead....

Munros1969 and latheofheaven like this.
  11. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

I’m sure the Discogs price will have been a factor in pricing...

12. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

That price is ridiculous, I had the original and it only cost me around £30, record companies are taking us for saps.

13. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

Wait till 100th Window is re released on vinyl.....I think this thread will explode.

14. It's Felix

£800

15. Classicrock

Diverse Vinyl in Uk have Heligoland at £54. That's cheapest so far.

16. It's Felix

Bargain!

17. latheofheaven

Yeah, that is what I kind of figured. Bad show there all right!

18. latheofheaven

Hell, I got that on me... :D

It's Felix likes this.
  19. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

Wise move I reckon.

20. latheofheaven

Well...

First and foremost, as soon as I opened the Amazon box I looked at the top of the shrinkwrap and HOLY $...t! it had a label saying 'Made in Germany'! :yikes:

I didn't expect that since I ordered from Amazon here in the US. Sure enough, the lower back of the cover stated 'Made in the EU' So, I was pretty stoked since bloody EVERYONE here pretty much says it sounds great! Heh, I couldn't tell what side was what since all the labels were blank :) And, YES, it sounded absolutely LOVELY!

BUT... and it is a very BIG BUTT like Mariah Carey's... sadly, there was a very bad scratch at the beginning of the side that starts with Inertia Creeps :wtf: Out of all the bloody records I've bought new, this is the very first that actually had very noticeable bad damage that you could easily see for about 1/4" square, it looked like someone had taken a small hammer and hit the vinyl damaging it.

***sigh... Sooooo, I have a replacement order in at Amazon, BUT... again... I am now very worried that they WON'T send me the German pressing again...o_O Thankfully, their replacements are set up to ship immediately, but they do give you 30 days to return the other one. So, I have time to check out the replacement before having to send the other one back. It's such a shame too, because ALL of the rest of it is absolutely pristine and sounds BEAUTIFUL!

Oh well, I guess we'll see... The replacement will be here on Tuesday...

21. Classicrock

I'm sure they will all be German pressings. Heligoland now temp out of stock on Amazon.com but about half the EU pricing.

22. latheofheaven

I was thinking that... But, on Discogs the 2017 pressing is shown to be done by someone else. So, are they BOTH pressed in Germany but with different masters...?

23. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Through disk one of Heligoland. Record is flat, centered, and dead quiet. Sounds good. I will call it a winner.

24. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Where is Heligoland instock currently online in the US?

25. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.